Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone give me insight on how a sleep study goes. My blood oxygen levels are low. I snore loud according to my other half so my doctor ordered a sleep study. Hopefully this is why my levels are down. My HCO3 level is high at 29. My O2 saturation is 94 . My pO2 is 70. Everything else is within normal range.

The first night I went in and had a lot of wires hooked up and I just slept...then I went back after the results came back and slept with a bunch of wires again plus a c-pap machine. Then the results will come back on what your c-pap setting will be.

I had two sleep studies as well. I was given a cpap machine and use it nightly. I am hoping when I get my sleeve I will be able to sleep without my machine. For me the test was not that bad. Just strange sleeping with the wires hooked up to you.

I had one done 3 years ago, it was easy enough. The place I went to had a sleep number bed that you can adjust, was comfortable enough to sleep, the room was set up like a hotel room, very nice. The only thing that I wondered about was how I was going to sleep knowing that I was going to be watched via a camera? After they wired me up they tucked me in. They woke me up and told me that I had stopped breathing some incredible number of times an hour and put a cpap on me for the rest of the night. They said that I was on the far end of bad for apnea. With that I got the Cadillac of cpap machines (said the Doctor) that adjusts to what ever I need, not a single setting machine.

The nice thing about the self adjusting machine is that I haven't needed to go back for a study, because the machine does the thinking that otherwise would require another sleep study for single settings.

Two years before my wife would hit me to start me breathing again all night long, at least that was her excuse :)

I've been using it faithfully for 3 years, a couple times sleeping away I did alright with out it, the last time I tried it I felt so sick, nauseous, light headed. I thought that I was coming down with something...then it dawned on me THIS IS HOW I USED TO FEEL ALL THE TIME BEFORE CPAP. So I always take my machine everywhere, that includes camping (marine battery & inverter to run it) & on my boat & vacations.

One thing I was told to do with a sleep study is request a sleep aid. (sleeping pill) For me it turned out I did not have sleep apnea, just loud snoring so was a positive surgery wise. For the actual study you sleep in the study room with video and they connect lots of wires to you for the night so the sleeping pill helps ignore those external factors. The sleep study room is just like a hotel room (even had a sleep number bed so you could adjust it to the one at home) and you just go in and spend the night there asleep hopefully so they can track what happens. Good luck and remember it is one of the less invasive procedures you will have in this journey.

sleep apnea is a co-morbidity. If you want to qualify for Medicare, you need three co-morbidities. (Do research on the Internet)

I had/have severe sleep apnea. I LOVE my CPAP machine and feel great after using it. Medicare just began covering sleeve operations about a year and a half ago. Apparently they must feel as if cutting down a person's weight surgically lessens the chance of more expensive procedures in the future (knee and hip replacements, plus rehab. and physical therapy). I am all for it! I was sleeved on Sept. 10th and am down 30 pounds. My bad knee can be walked on! My blood pressure is near normal. I don't know about my cholesterol yet, but time will tell.

So, having sleep apnea is not so bad if you get a good CPAP machine, AND it partially qualifies you fro Medicare. I would not be surprised if sleep apnea helped qualify peiople for Medicare - but of course that goes by state.