Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a band-buddy - 30yo guy, pre-op for lap band.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum but have read a lot of posts so far. I am basically looking for guys around my age that have had the surgery. I have finished all my pre-op test's and now am just waiting to hear back from the hospital about a date (should be in the next 2 months). Most of the blogs that I have read seem to be by middle aged women, while it's great to hear everyone story and journey, I just don't relate to a lot of their experiences. If any guys around my age have been through the process I would love to hear from you. Also if anyone knows of a good blog to follow please let me know. Thanks!

I was 30 when I had the Realize Band put in 4 years ago back in August 2010. I lost 100 lbs the first year, and have maintained a loss of 90 lbs since then. I'm happy with the weight that I was able to lose and keep off, which I would not have been able to do without the band. I hope that the band works for you and you get the results you're looking for. I actually am thinking of revising to the VSG at this point, because it still have 100 more pounds to lose.

And sorry I had to edit my post as my iPad is being temperamental and I accidentally hit post before I was done typing.

Edited by Karunch

@@Karunch That's great that you lost 100lbs! I am curious, why do you think you have plateaued at 100lb loss? Are you just not feeling restricted as much?

Edited by soundlogik

I've been having issues and at times I have little to no restriction, and then sometimes I have food get stuck after just a few bites. It's a bit frustrating. My band can hold 11 cc's, and right now it has 9 cc's of saline.

Even though I'm most likely revising to the VSG, I'm thankful for having had the band put in. Without it I would never have been able to lose and maintain a loss of 90+ pounds over the past 4 years. I no longer have high blood pressure and I no longer have to take any medications. I just have reached a point where I know that I'm not getting any younger and I know that I need to do something else, as I still have over 100 more pounds to lose. Thus why I'm looking into revision surgery.

Hey, sorry to butt in but, I'm just wondering if you can share exactly how you lost the 100lbs? I had my band fitted 8 weeks ago I'm down 28lb but I have roughly 100lb to go at least. But I'm struggling I havnt had a fill yet and I'm sort of giving up on this I feel I have no willpower and already lost faith in the whole thing.

You shouldn't feel like giving up. 28 lbs is a great start, especially with no fill in your band. The band is a tool that requires upkeep and maintenance (fills). Make sure that you keep going back to your surgeon for follow up visits, as it will take several fills to get to good restriction. And after a while your restriction will change and require another adjustment.

It's important to keep moving/exercising and to follow the rules of the band (don't eat and drink together, etc).

I've had my band for 5 years. I'm 44 y/o. I haven't had any band caused problems. I started at 324 and have lost about 130 pounds. I bike and run now. I feel "normal". Life is good!

<p>I've had my band for 5 years. I'm 44 y/o. I haven't had any band caused problems. I started at 324 and have lost about 130 pounds. I bike and run now. I feel "normal". Life is good!</p>

awsome u go Catfish87