Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat, Carbs and Proteins Oh My!

I had my surgery on May 27 and happily adding new foods to my diet. I have it drilled into me at least 60 grams of Proteins a day. But what about carbs and fat? I there a maximum for this? I am careful to track my food and I just don't know when it goes too high for the day. for example yesterday I had 24.08 fat, 30.32 carbs, 91.9 Protein and 716 calories. Calories are between 600-700 daily. I kind of get freaked out on the carbs and fat. Is there some ratio to follow?

Edited by SpecialNewMe

I had my surgery on May 27 and happily adding new foods to my diet. I have it drilled into me at least 60 grams of Proteins a day. But what about carbs and fat? I there a maximum for this? I am careful to track my food and I just don't know when it goes too high for the day. for example yesterday I had 24.08 fat, 30.32 carbs, 91.9 Protein and 716 calories. Calories are between 600-700 daily. I kind of get freaked out on the carbs and fat. Is there some ratio to follow?

Are u using the myfitnesspal? ? I'm still trying to figure this out in how it works...I don't no exactly what I'm consuming I'm guessing. ..

I don't generally worry about fat at all. I really only track Protein. I eyeball my carbs and try to keep them under 100 for the day, but I don't obsess over them.

I never really worried about fat either. I stuck with chicken, turkey and pork loin as my Protein sources and they're all very lean meats. I focused on staying below my calorie limit and getting 75% of my calories from Protein and eating healthy foods - vegetables, salad, Beans, lentils. I (almost always :rolleyes: - I'm not perfect) stayed away from Pasta, rice, breads of any kind and sugar. The rest took care of it'self.

I don't generally worry about fat at all. I really only track protein. I eyeball my carbs and try to keep them under 100 for the day, but I don't obsess over them.

Edited by joatsaint

I don't measure or count anything. I keep track of Water in my head as the day goes on to make sure I'm getting at least 64oz. I get 30-40g Protein from my daily protein/fiber smoothie, and assume I'm getting at least 60g total because my 5-6 meals and Snacks always contain Protein. I don't eat the obvious carbs like bread, Pasta, rice, or sweets very often, and I never bothered to limit fat.

I honestly have no idea how many calories or carbs or fat I eat. I don't know how many steps I take or how many calories I burn. This "low maintenance" postop pan has worked great for me, at least. If I wanted to track everything I could have just done weight watchers or nutrisystem or any of the other "diets" out there. Surgery was my way to be free of all that minutiae.

Five week post-op here. I saw my surgeon and nutritionist yesterday as a followup. They both advised me to back down my Protein a little to make room for carbs. I was only thinking of Protein and I was getting around 90g a day and my carbs were less than 15g each day because I was eating almost all meat.

They explained that carbs are most efficient for burning fat and if there aren't any carbs I won't burn fat as well. I'm on the soft diet phase and although I'm allowed to eat more things I hadn't been, thinking I needed to focus on meat and protein. Today I'm going to have my first day of carbs over 20g.

I tried to pin them down to a calorie range I should be in but they said not to think about calories now, to think about hitting 64 ounces of Water, 60-80g of protein and 35-40g of carbs and the rest will take care of itself.

So I am going to give you a different view than Kindle. If you look at our results both methods worked. I am not critical of not tracking. It depends on what you are comfortable with.

I track everything. I use My Fitness Pal and have a Fitbit to track activity. I felt like I had a lot to learn through this process, so I weighed and measured everything. Even though I hit my initial goal, I still track. It fits with my personality and quite frankly, I have been able to manage weight loss and not get stuck by upping calories, as needed. It works well for me.

From months 1-5 I kept carbs pretty low, under 50 a day. This seemed to be a sweet spot. I made sure I had at least 60 grams of Protein minimum. Fat wasn't a big concern at this time. During this period I averaged 40% Protein, 40% Fat and 20% carbs. Since I was exercising regularly, I upped calories every time weight loss slowed. As a general rule I do not eat potatoes, rice, bread or Pasta.

At month 5 I decided to up the carbs to 60-80 a day, by adding some whole grains. I needed to do this to have more energy for exercise. This actually reduced the fat percentage in my diet.

Right now, at 7 months out, I am at 1100-1200 a day. I am still at 40% Protein, 30% Carbs and 30% Fat. I would anticipate that as the exercise level continues to increase and I get to maintenance the Protein level will have to increase as I will need to exercise with greater intensity and frequency to maintain my weight

Thanks for posting Macman...lots of great info. We were sleeved about the same time and I think it's important for everyone to see that there's more than one way to be successful. Everyone has to find their own, personal "make it work" plan.

I was always very intimidated before surgery by reading all the posts from the trackers and fitbit folks that were so successful because I knew I wouldn't be able to do that. I just like to include my version so other newbies can see that they can be successful with "alternative plans"

Great job!

Edited by Kindle

I don't measure or count anything. I keep track of Water in my head as the day goes on to make sure I'm getting at least 64oz. I get 30-40g Protein from my daily protein/fiber smoothie, and assume I'm getting at least 60g total because my 5-6 meals and Snacks always contain Protein. I don't eat the obvious carbs like bread, Pasta, rice, or sweets very often, and I never bothered to limit fat.

I honestly have no idea how many calories or carbs or fat I eat. I don't know how many steps I take or how many calories I burn. This "low maintenance" postop pan has worked great for me, at least. If I wanted to track everything I could have just done weight watchers or nutrisystem or any of the other "diets" out there. Surgery was my way to be free of all that minutiae.

Try using the myfitnesspal. .I have learned quickly eyeing it I was getting more in some an not near enuff in some...it monitors everything!

Blondbomb, Why should I use MFP? I'm below my surgeon's weight goal, at a normal BMI, and still losing about a pound/week. I feel fabulous and have tons of energy. I've maintained my muscle mass and have had no hairloss. My 6 month labs including full Vitamin profiles were all great (actually had high Iron and Calcium so I've adjusted my supplements). The OP was asking about carbs and fat, and my point was to show you don't necessarily have to track or count these things in order to be successful if that's not something you want to do. I eat balanced meals and Snacks consisting of Protein, veggies, fruits and whole grains like any "normal" healthy person. Not sure why I would need to start tracking at this point.

And BTW, I'm not knocking MFP or the people that use it in any way. If tracking is something you want to do and need to do to be successful, it's a great tool.

Edited by Kindle

I learned to use MyFitnessPal & glad I did. I was tracking everything in my head & found I wasn't doing a very good job. The MFP keeps me on track. I found I was eating to many carbs & it was slowing/stopping my weight loss. At mid afternoon I add up all my calories, carbs & Protein to see what I should eat for dinner & an evening snack. If my protein intake is low for the day I will drink a Protein Shake. I use the Syntrax Nectar individual servings with light vanilla soy milk.

I have enjoyed reading all of these comments! I think I am heading in the right direction. I am someone who needs to track her food. I use an app called fatsecret.

I am tracking everything and doing the fitbit and other exercise tracking, just like macman. I measure and weigh everything right now. This works for me! I found that I work better if I hold myself accountable. If that changes down the road, we will see. I am found that each one of us has to find what works for us. Good luck!

So I am going to give you a different view than Kindle. If you look at our results both methods worked. I am not critical of not tracking. It depends on what you are comfortable with.

I track everything. I use My Fitness Pal and have a Fitbit to track activity. I felt like I had a lot to learn through this process, so I weighed and measured everything. Even though I hit my initial goal, I still track. It fits with my personality and quite frankly, I have been able to manage weight loss and not get stuck by upping calories, as needed. It works well for me.

From months 1-5 I kept carbs pretty low, under 50 a day. This seemed to be a sweet spot. I made sure I had at least 60 grams of Protein minimum. Fat wasn't a big concern at this time. During this period I averaged 40% Protein, 40% Fat and 20% carbs. Since I was exercising regularly, I upped calories every time weight loss slowed. As a general rule I do not eat potatoes, rice, bread or Pasta.

At month 5 I decided to up the carbs to 60-80 a day, by adding some whole grains. I needed to do this to have more energy for exercise. This actually reduced the fat percentage in my diet.

Right now, at 7 months out, I am at 1100-1200 a day. I am still at 40% Protein, 30% Carbs and 30% Fat. I would anticipate that as the exercise level continues to increase and I get to maintenance the Protein level will have to increase as I will need to exercise with greater intensity and frequency to maintain my weight

I have enjoyed reading all of these comments! I think I am heading in the right direction. I am someone who needs to track her food. I use an app called fatsecret.