Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone who had RNY early July mind sharing what your activity level is at this point? What do you do for exercise for a typical day? How long? Do you experience any discomfort with exercise? How much are you eating? I'm curious because I'm not losing much and getting a little frustrated. Not sure if it's my food or activity level or both. Thanks!

My surgery was July 16 and I went in at #239. I left the hospital at #251 because of all the fluids. Now I am down to #228. I started at #264 when I first went to the surgeon.

I haven't been that physically active because of all the pain and then being back in the hospital. Today I walked around Target for about 45 minutes I guess.

I have been getting short of breath when I take a shower or exert myself. I am not sure why and I do wonder if it has anything to do with the Fluid pocket behind my left lung.

I think I am losing at a good rate and I would like to get exercise in. I think I will be able to now that the pain has subsided, but I am not certain due to the SOB..

@@pik thank you so much - that makes me feel much better. I started at 292 at my first surgeon visit and am now at 247 but I was afraid I was losing too slowly. I experienced ALOT of shortness if breath as well after trying to shower. I didn't get through that process until I was well into eating more foods. It got quite frustrating because I'm very independent. Even now, my incision on the right side still slows me down mid day to the point I have to sit or lay down for a while. I'm so thankful my surgeon gave me 6 weeks before having to return to work. I can't wait until I'm back to 'normal' with regard to not being in pain or being physically limited.

Angel, my surgery was July 1 and I've gone from 270# to 247#. I seem to have stalled at this weight for about a week now which is frustrating. I would say on average I am eating 1/2-3/4 cup of food per meal three times daily. I've found it much harder to get my Water intake since I've had to withhold drinking 15 min before, during, and 45 min after meals.

My energy level is pretty decent, like I'm not really napping anymore and I've found some projects around the house. My stamina has left me with not much ability to sustain physical activity. I can walk with my dog for 1-2 miles tops and have done no cardio or weight lifting. I have been going to the pool 2-3 times a week and paddling around. I'm not swimming real laps, just treading water and kicking around trying to work my muscles a bit. After 45 minutes of that I'm exhausted! Yesterday a trip to Pier 1 wiped me out.

Angel, my surgery was July 1 and I've gone from 270# to 247#. I seem to have stalled at this weight for about a week now which is frustrating. I would say on average I am eating 1/2-3/4 cup of food per meal three times daily. I've found it much harder to get my Water intake since I've had to withhold drinking 15 min before, during, and 45 min after meals.

My energy level is pretty decent, like I'm not really napping anymore and I've found some projects around the house. My stamina has left me with not much ability to sustain physical activity. I can walk with my dog for 1-2 miles tops and have done no cardio or weight lifting. I have been going to the pool 2-3 times a week and paddling around. I'm not swimming real laps, just treading water and kicking around trying to work my muscles a bit. After 45 minutes of that I'm exhausted! Yesterday a trip to Pier 1 wiped me out.

Is pool water safe on your incisions?

Yup.

The doctor just said to wait 10-14 days after surgery before swimming or taking baths. Despite having to sausage myself into a swimsuit I've always loved swimming and it's low-impact on my joints :) It's nice to get some sun now too after the first couple weeks stuck on the couch.

Does anyone who had RNY early July mind sharing what your activity level is at this point? What do you do for exercise for a typical day? How long? Do you experience any discomfort with exercise? How much are you eating? I'm curious because I'm not losing much and getting a little frustrated. Not sure if it's my food or activity level or both. Thanks!

I had my surgery on June 25th. My energy level has been thru the roof since I came home from the hospital. I did not have pain or nausea. I started going to the gym 6 days a week at 2 weeks out. I either do an hour on the treadmill or 10 to 15 miles on the bike. The treadmill get my heart rate higher so I mainly do that. I use the bike when my husband comes with me to gym. He is unable to use the treadmill because he has severe bone spurs in his heels. I am currently eating to 2 to 4 ounces of Protein 3 times a day. I still have a Protein shake or two each day. To make sure I am getting all my Protein in. I stalled at three weeks and gained 8 pounds. This lasted about 2 weeks and then it broke and I lost 13 pounds in 3 days. I went back to losing one pound a day and I lost 4 a couple days after that. Hopefully the weight keep coming off even if it is slowly. During my stall I went from a 26 to an 18 in pants sizes and my bra size went from a 46c to a 42b. Most people lose inches during a stall. Just don't get discouraged and keep exercising if you are doing so.

Edited by jtickle

Surgery was on July 21. I have been feeling good since I left. i do seem to get tired pretty easily, but I bounce back. I was in class for the last two weeks, but now that I am out I will be doing more than just working on the garden and walking around the neighborhood. At least until regular school starts back Aug 18.