Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm afraid I'm eating too much. I don't know how much in the way of calories a day I should have. I'm having an issue with hunger and the desire to eat, and the biggest problem? My stomach is letting me do it without much complaint. Am I destined to fail? I'm not measuring my food with a food scale, but... I'm using bowls that can only hold up to 4 oz, and I always read the label of anything I eat, and my biggest meal I find is a can of tuna with a little mayo which is approximately 5 oz... At times I get full and a spoon full or two will go to the dogs or what not. I find that's with any meal I'm eating. But I'm so afraid, considering my tummy doesn't complain much about what I put in it, that I am going to just (pardon my language) fuck this shit up so bad. I'm three weeks out of my surgery, and according to my doctor, I should have JUST gotten into soft foods. Honestly? I started a week early... And I was fine. Thinned mashed potatoes, mac an cheese and yogurt were friends of mine. I've switched to tuna because obviously (i'm well aware) that the mashed potatoes and mac n cheese are both, in reality, my enemy. So... no more of those. So now I'm into canned tuna, and beef liver and sea food. Soft stuff, nice and moist. The liver, you might be thinking... is too tough, but once it's really chewed up it's softer than the tuna. I can't assume it to be bad for me considering I have an Iron deficiency. I know... I know, I should talk to my doctor about all of this as well.. but I really want another patient's perspective. I'm using MyFitnessPal daily (with a few mishaps here and there) and at the moment I'm around.. eh, 700 or a little more calories a day. Should I be less? Should I be more? I don't know! I am afraid I'm eating too much. But then looking at my calories I think... really? 700 calories and I'm freaking out about eating too much? But I don't know where I should be right now. My mom had a Gastric bypass 7 years ago... Everything I tell her I'm doing seems wrong to her because... well she had a different surgery. She was on liquids longer, she couldn't tolerate food well.. But that's all another story. I'm just gonna end it there and see what advice any one is willing to share. Cause I could really use a few words of encouragement and wisdom.

I am getting 40-60 oz of Water daily, if not more, I take a protonics, I'm taking my Vitamins but sadly I miss a lot. Please don't chastise me, I'm doing my best on that, I'm very forgetful.

Sorry for any spelling errors, I'm sure they're in there. But I can't find a spell check on this thing! Hmerkuhilbhf;ghaeg;aeig..

I think we have a lot in common. I am five weeks post op. I would love to have a firm idea of a calorie range. My doc won't commit! Just make sur you're getting your Protein and Water, he says. Well, I am. But I can't help paying attention to all the data on mfp. I wish I had words of wisdom to offer, but we are I. The same boat.

Well hey, fezik23... If anything, we can share words of wisdom with eachother. Or at least both benefit from another's answer. You know, once someone gets a chance to reply ^^;

I'm hoping I'm doing ok. I have the hunger pangs, which disappoints me for many reasons, and there are days I feel proud, and days I feel not so proud. I was not proud of my friendship with potatoes and mac n cheese. But I'm willing to admit that I was being an idiot and indulging in my food desires. But that's all done now, still... I'm still not sure on how much I should have, even of the "good" stuff. A normal person should get between 1200(min acording to mfp) and 2000 calories, depending on their activity level. Well a woman, I'd say, with moderate activity. You can obviously exceed this with many different variables. So my goal (which I think is preferable to avoid "starvation mode") is to hit that 1200 calorie mark with moderate activity. Unfortunately I threw out my back and hip today.. So I am not going to be able to take my nightly walk. So far I've gotten in.. 795 calories today. But is that good at week 3? I dunno! Lol, it's so frustrating.

I am almost a year out early on I ate 6 to 800 cals a day. Are you tracking Protein? Fluids?

I have done fairly well . My stats are SW 344 CW 204.2 I am 5 11 surgery date is August 20 2013

@@IdaliaMay I too am 3 weeks out and it's good to see I'm not the only one who started soft foods early! Anywho...I'm slightly different from you. I only had to weigh my food a few times and then I had a great idea of what 3 ounces was. However, it's so unnecessary because I literally can only eat a few bites and then I'm fat full. I've yet been able to eat a full 3 oz meal. I'm not really counting calories either. I mean, I'm eating healthy foods (meat Protein and veggies) so I'm not really focused on the calories. The only time I look at the calories and sugar is when I'm eating something sweet...as yogurt, Jello, etc.

Honestly, I think you are fine. You've list 40lbs thus far!

I follow the plan given to me by my NUT, which is eating 1/4 cup or 1 oz of food at a time for the first six months. I'm basically three months out and that's all I eat. Can I eat more? Yes. The thing is, just because I can doesn't mean I should. I drink two Protein shakes and eat twice, which ends up being about 75 grams of Protein and 500-600 calories a day. That's the calorie range my NUT gave me, although she was kinda noncommittal about it too. I haven't had any problems with hunger, aside from cravings/head hunger. Also, I still have issues with stomach acid even on Prevacid that feel like hunger pangs.. but once I learned to not confuse the two, I've done much better.

You will find people here who eat more or less than that, depending on their recommendations. You will lose weight if you're only eating 700 calories. You will also lose weight if you're eating 1200 calories. Obviously, one will be faster than the other.. Whatever you end up with, just make sure you're getting your protein in.

The biggest thing I notice about your post is the statement, "My stomach is letting me do it.." You've got to take some personal responsibility and not expect your sleeve to do all the work. Sometimes managing hunger isn't just a physical issue, it's a mental one too. Schedule another appointment with your nutritionist. Go talk with them, ask them questions, and make a plan. When you have a plan, you won't have to second guess yourself and will be much more confident in your choices!

I can really relate to u. The psychological issue with wanting to eat even when I'm not hungry thankfully has subsided somewhat! I had my surgery June 5th and think it might be best for me to go back to liquids and purees again. I liked the comment from the lady a year out saying she took in 6- 800 cal per day. I need to get serious if I plan for this to be a success. Good luck my friend!

Thanks all for your words, I just wanted to point out, as momohime said, just because my stomach allows it doesn't mean I should. But I want to further go into why I said that. It was more of those times that I wasn't paying attention and ate too much.. and in saying that was relating more to my fear of screwing it up because of that fact. I'm not trying to push my stomach further than it should, and I do pay attention, eat slow and chew a lot as my nutritionist and doctors say to do. But you know those mistakes where you're eating and you may accidentally eat too much too fast? I freak out for a sec.. thinking "oh my god, I might get really sick" but then nothing happens... So.. sorry if this isn't making much sense but THAT makes me fear that I could really screw it up without realizing it.

There's always the potential to eat out of the sleeve, as I've heard others put it. I don't want to do that. Who would? You go through the whole process just to end up 300 pounds again.. It's no one's goal.. but it happens. And I just freak out over the potential of it. Especially considering my stomach is being more flexible than I honestly thought it would. I was making stupid mistakes for a few days, because I was sick and tired of the liquid diet.. and I tried mashed potatoes.. and mac and cheese, and my stomach and I both liked it. But... I said to myself... Girl, you just went through surgery.. I know you're desperate, but don't screw this up. Thankfully, I was close to the end of my recommended liquid diet, to where I was told I could start on things like canned tuna and chicken, and soft fish, so I started on that. And it's doing great. I'm getting about 60 grams of Protein now, I've given up the high cal carbs, thankful that I could make that decision on my own.

I know that I can screw it up. I fear it greatly.. And it's nice to be able to come here, and express my feelings and get feedback, so I really appreciate it from all of you. Words to help me along, advice, and just to have someone to relate to who may be going through the same thing.

I totally feel you! Surgery is a big deal. I want to do everything I can to make it work. I use a food scale and love it! I've actually used it consistently enough that I can pretty much eyeball the correct amount or pretty close to it anyway. I still continue to use it just because I worry about the same things you do. I'm not yet to the point where I trust myself to not eat too much if I'm not paying attention. Measuring it out beforehand takes care of that little issue for me. It might take a little longer to do, but it definitely makes it a little easier. I'm all for that.

I'm 6 weeks out and my Dr and NUT both say to get between 500-1000 calories a day but don't go over 1000. I'm hanging around the 600-700 range. I move to normal foods on Monday so we shall see what happens.

I always find these topics interesting b/c my practice did not put me on a specific caloric range at all. They did recommend ounces and a "5%" rule (no more than that in fat).

Also, I lost much more with soft foods. For me, I think I was drinking too many calories. I felt full with foods.

At my 6 week appt I got into trouble for not regularly hitting 800 calories - they said that 800 is the lowest you want to be at once you are on solids. She mentioned that your brain and body need that much to function normally. It really explained why I was so tired and sort of forgetful - I have been on My Fitness Pal since the beginning and when I worked to get to 800 cals daily not only did I break a stall I had been on, I also started feeling more normal. But - I have seen where other NUTs recommend 600-800, and some much higher, so be sure to ask your Doc about that:-D

I'm staying under 700 cal...daily.I can only take in About 4 or 5 bites of real food..soup a little more..so I do eat about every 2 to 3 hrs. .I'm using myfitnesspal again an staying on target..keeping carbs under 40..sugar free...low fat...don't have stamina yet for a lot of exercising but I'm active around house an do some shopping. .:) feeling amazing overall. 3 wks out..down 35 pds! Proud of it!!