Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The process is starting

On July 7th I attended an informational seminar on weight loss surgery. July 16th I met with my pcp to get my referral letter. Today I called to schedule my initial consultation with the surgeon. They told me to fax all my paper work that I filled out along with my referral letter and a copy of my insurance cards. I am happy to say that I have all of it faxed, and now I am just waiting for a phone call to find out when my first appointment is. I am very excited. I have wanted this for a long time, but was always too afraid to admit it until I met my amazing boyfriend who supports me 110%. I can't wait to move forward.

All the apts coming up can be overwhelming but keep the prize in mind! With the support from my family many times I moved forward. Good Luck! :)

Thank you iheartz. I am very excited and I would not be able to do this without the support of my family friends and most of all my boyfriend. These forums have helped me out so much. I have the app on my phone so I read through them many times throughout the day. So glad that I can come here for support as well.

Best wishes on your journey! I started in March, debated for an extra month, then got the ball rolling in May. It's been quite a journey with the testing, but I've only got a couple more! You've come to the right place! My decision to have surgery was made easy by some folks on these forums.

Congratulations!! I started my journey on March 3rd of this year and had my surgery on June 25th. It's best thing I have ever done for myself. No more diabetes or heartburn. I have lost 53 pounds. I am losing slowly because I am having a hard time getting all my Protein in, however, the inches are just falling off. I have went from a 26 to an 18 in the last 3 weeks. Even my bra size has went from a 46c to a 42b in the same amount of time. I went from couch potato to either going to the gym to use the treadmill for an hour or riding my bike for 10 to 15 miles. I exercise 6 days a week. I hope your weight loss journey goes smoothly. Keep us updated.

Thank you jtickle. Congratulations on your surgery and the progress you have made with your weight loss.

Finally got an appointment set up for initial consultation with the surgeon. I see him October 2. Let's get this on a roll. I've got a wedding to plan lol.

October 2nd is getting closer and I am getting really nervous about meeting with the surgeon for initial consultation. I keep asking myself if this is what I really want to do. The answer is back and forth. I don't want to have to go through the surgery but I also don't want to be dying at an early age. I don't want to live a life of pain and misery like I have been. This surgery is a must.

Don't sweat it. Meeting with the surgeon is no big deal. You'll get more overwhelmed with the paperwork and process than meeting with the doctor. Just make sure you write down all your questions so you don't forget to ask everything you want to know about.

I have started a list of questions but any suggestions of questions would be helpful. My surgeon does not do lap band so that is out. The sleeve is probably out because I have severe acid reflux. I will end up with either the bypass or a newer surgery I don't remember the name. It's something switch

Hi! I attended my first meeting about the same time you did with a similar BMI & also bypass as my best option. It is scary, no doubt about that, but for me the inevitable results of NOT having surgery far outweighed my fears. And the more I have talked with those who have had it and hear how many positive changes they have in their lives now, how much their quality of life has improved, it makes me more and more excited to have this and be on that losing side already!

I am finally scheduled for surgery in Nov and although I am very impatient, the fact that this process takes so long is a good thing because it does give you plenty of time to wrap your head around the whole thing. Use this time to educate yourself as much as possible about the procedures, the benefits, the risks, the diet changes, the statistics on weight loss and improvement of morbidities, etc. There is a ton of information out there. I suggest sticking with well-respected authoritative sources such as well-known hospitals, medical research institutes, etc rather than personal stories/blogs since one person's horror story might be a one-in--million instance and who knows what factors played into their issues (other medical conditions that don't apply to you, horrible doctor, not following medical advice, etc.)

Our hospital has a support group and it was nice to meet people who had already had the procedure and to see where they were at 3 months, 6 months out, etc. It was also nice to get a bit of an inside scoop on how things work with the surgeon I have, how the hospital stay goes, what the pre-op & post-op diet will be like, and things like that. The nurses are also available to call or message with any questions that we might come up with (because even with a list, you will think of things you forgot to ask once you leave his office!) So - a big question to ask when you have your appointment is who you can call if you have more questions!

Good luck on the scheduling of your surgery ready2B. Thank you for the tips. I am trying to prepare myself as much as possible but I know I will never be 100% prepared that is just impossible

Today is the day that I meet my surgeon. I will also find out my insurance requirements. Wish me luck.

Hi, I started in July 7th also! I still have 2 life skills classes then I'll meet with the surgeon probably early Nov... who knows if he wants to do those test prior surgery ? It varies person to person. Good luck and I bet you will get a date before me ????

My meeting with the surgeon went really really well. My insurance has no requirements but the surgeon requires 3 months worth of supervised diet appointments with my physician, which I already made all 3 appointments. My last one will be in December. During the 3 months I will attend 1 class and a support group once a month. I will also get my psych evaluation done during the 3 months. After they get all of my paperwork including the 3rd follow up they will schedule my surgery for about 6 weeks after that. I'm looking at a February or March date. I'm glad because I'm getting married November 2015.