Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help: Advice From Those Banded 3+ Months

I started my pre-op diet May 20th of this year and was banded June 4th. From the start of my pre-op diet up till June 17th I lost 20 pounds--which made me feel great! I knew it wouldn't last as going from liquids back to solids is a huge change on the body.

As I got off the liquid diet and began to eat normal food again, I realized that at 2ccs there was no restriction at all in my band...so I ate like I normally would before the surgery. I had my first fill June 27th to 4ccs--and I was super excited to see the LB in action. I stuck to my liquids for 2 days, and then...had no restriction. I was able to eat like I was before my LB. I could eat full meals--a full salad, full portion of Protein, and any bread/carb I wanted without worry.

I went back to get my 2nd fill July 22nd. Of the 20 pounds I initially I lost, I've gained back 8 for a total loss of 12 pounds in 2 months. On the 22nd, they filled me up to 6ccs. 4 days later and I am, once again, eating just like I was before the band.

I work out every day--I do 20-30 minutes of PiYo, and spend about 30 minutes running/jogging burning about 500 calories a day, but with the foods I'm eating I'm never full, never have any restriction, and am feeling a bit discouraged.

My issue has always been how much I eat, never that I don't like to work out. Right now, I feel that the surgery was a waste.

What is a normal CC for a a LB/at what point were you able to see/feel a difference?

Any help/advice would be a godsend!

J

Ok no worries. You need to know it may take up to 5 fills before you can expect proper restriction. Once you are tighter you will be amazed at how you body tells you when to stop eating. With smaller portions you will notice, "Wow, I am full and not going to eat all of this!". You will start to serve yourself less and be amazed at the full feeling you get really soon. We are here for you when you get discouraged. You are winning.....you are already down in weight. Eventhough you took on a few pounds you are still down. My surgeon told me he does not expect weight loss at all until you feel restriction. So the weight you have lost already is all on your own which is an indicator of how hard you are working. Great on the exercise!! You will make it. Just know with fills you will soon know what it feels like to not feel hunger and cravings.

Hi there,

Was banded last Novemeber. I had no restriction in my band. I went for my first fill in December and I lost a good amount of weight. Can't remember how much, but he did't give me a fill and said let's what til next month and see what it brings. When I had tht fill I still felt like I had know restriction. I weighed and measured everything. No breads, Pasta or rice. Just dense Protein and veggie & a carb if I could get it in. I think the term is bandster hell.

My suggestion would be buy a ditigial kitchen scale and weigh everything out so you can see what protions sizes look like. Cut out the breads, rice and Pasta. You've got the tool but you have to do the work until the band is filled to proper restriction.

I work out 4 to 6 times a week. You got this, be patient follow your doc and nuts advice to a tee. It will work. Keep your chin up and come talk to us whenever you need to.

Bulawookie - That makes me feel so much better, thank you. There is always that anxiety of something going awry/not working as I had hoped! I will definitely keep coming back for guidance and support :)

I believe (and not everyone will agree with me) that you have to change the way you eat. Just because you can eat like you did before, doesn't mean you should. This is the time that you should be practicing eating slower, taking smaller bites, chewing longer. Start recognizing the difference between hungry, not hungry, satiety, and full. Stop eating when you're no longer "hungry." Using an app like MyFitnessPal and honestly recording everything you eat can really help you recognize what foods are nutritious and what foods are high in calories. Some foods while "healthy" can still pack in lots of calories. The idea of the band is to help you eat less, which means less calories but if you still eat lots of high calorie foods, your weight loss may be slower and/or eventually plateau before you reach your goal. It sounds like you're doing excellent with your exercise and I congratulate you! Exercise is a struggle for a lot of people. I truly believe that in the end no matter what, it's calories in vs. calories out. Best wishes in your continued success! Don't discount all the hard work you've put in so far.

Hi there,

Was banded last Novemeber. I had no restriction in my band. I went for my first fill in December and I lost a good amount of weight. Can't remember how much, but he did't give me a fill and said let's what til next month and see what it brings. When I had tht fill I still felt like I had know restriction. I weighed and measured everything. No breads, Pasta or rice. Just dense Protein and veggie & a carb if I could get it in. I think the term is bandster hell.

My suggestion would be buy a ditigial kitchen scale and weigh everything out so you can see what protions sizes look like. Cut out the breads, rice and Pasta. You've got the tool but you have to do the work until the band is filled to proper restriction.

I work out 4 to 6 times a week. You got this, be patient follow your doc and nuts advice to a tee. It will work. Keep your chin up and come talk to us whenever you need to.

Thanks Carmen--I love the zeal and focus you had from the beginning, I'm a bit envious! I have tried cutting out what I can, but the reason I decided to get the LB is because of my lack of ability to say no--in all honesty. I can work out, I can buy healthy foods, I can do all of those things...but I am not at the point where I can stop myself when I should.
That's the hardest part for me!

I believe (and not everyone will agree with me) that you have to change the way you eat. Just because you can eat like you did before, doesn't mean you should. This is the time that you should be practicing eating slower, taking smaller bites, chewing longer. Start recognizing the difference between hungry, not hungry, satiety, and full. Stop eating when you're no longer "hungry." Using an app like MyFitnessPal and honestly recording everything you eat can really help you recognize what foods are nutritious and what foods are high in calories. Some foods while "healthy" can still pack in lots of calories. The idea of the band is to help you eat less, which means less calories but if you still eat lots of high calorie foods, your weight loss may be slower and/or eventually plateau before you reach your goal. It sounds like you're doing excellent with your exercise and I congratulate you! Exercise is a struggle for a lot of people. I truly believe that in the end no matter what, it's calories in vs. calories out. Best wishes in your continued success! Don't discount all the hard work you've put in so far.

Thanks Leepers--you are so right, you have to change the way that you eat. But for me, that is the one reason that I got the LB in the first place. I have an active lifestyle, eat healthy foods, just don't have the self control (yet) to stop. 14 years of failure at training myself to stop/portion control is the reason I did something so drastic.
I do agree that it's calories in v calories out! I am hoping that my LB/fills help sooner than later!