Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can you tell in the Dr Office if you are filled enough?

I have been struggling since I got overfilled and subsequently had to have an unfill. Since that incident I have had three fills and have not been in the green zone since. Im so afraid of being overfilled again that I don't want to ask for more Fluid when the Dr is putting it in now. My confidence is shattered and my weightloss is screwed. How can you tell if you have enough (or not) in the office when you are actually getting filled? I never have problems chugging that water bottle but WHAT should I be experiencing to let me know for sure??? Help!

I think it takes me a couple of days to tell. I'd take it slow although it's frustrating. You'll get there. Don't give up.

I've had the band for 10 years, my best weight loss was 46kg which was pretty close to my goal, I had to travel a long way for my fills and unfills and got quite frustrated with the whole thing. I'm not sure how you guys have your fills, but I told my fill provider that I wanted her do access my port whilst I was stood up. Once she was in I glugged a bottle of Water whilst she filled. Once I felt the water stop and start to back up I told her to stop and withdraw the Fluid bit by bit, once I felt the water trickle through I told her to stop. That's how I found my sweet spot :-)

Hi Christina,

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. I agree with booflu. My Doctor has me sip Water immediately after the fill to ensure I am not so tight that Water cannot go down. That said I am on soft foods for 24 hours. Back when I first started with fills it was liquids 24 hours following a fill. Only way to tell if you have what you need in there is time. Days need to go by with monitoring closely to see if you can notice/feel the difference.

Not to be downer here but it took me 6 months to find the green zone after surgery. Of course that doesn't mean it will take you that long. Also, I had a couple of false positives where I thought I was in the green zone only to have the feeling dissipate after a week.

My only recommendation is slow and steady with the fills. Little fills with at a 3+ weeks a part until you find the right spot. I know it can be frustrating but getting over filled and now having some taken out you're in what I call a "see-saw effect" making it even harder to find the sweet spot.

What does the Doc say?

Edited by Jim1967

My doc said that the reason the feeling of being in the green zone dissipates is because as you lose wight after a fill you lose fat around your stomach which in turn loosens the band meaning you need a tiny top up.

My doc said that the reason the feeling of being in the green zone dissipates is because as you lose wight after a fill you lose fat around your stomach which in turn loosens the band meaning you need a tiny top up.

That is true as well. I finally phone the green zone after about 6 months. I did not need fills for a very long time but eventually got one because of the weight loss and my band not being snug as it once was. My satiety went from 5 to 6 hours to 2 hours.

re: "My confidence is shattered and my weightloss is screwed."

I recognize that kind of response to unrequited expectations of a single event somehow posing as a 'salvation moment' in a lifelong issue with Overeating and Morbid Obesity.

I too have spend long months being just over the wretched edge of 'too full' while stubbornly pursing the daily activities working around the moments of Slimes & PGs etc.

Other than the inconvenience of taking most of the day to travel to/from the provider, as well as the cost (thankfully mostly covered by good ins. yet STILL out of pocket to pay), the real cost is that interruption in progress toward my goal.

Compliance with The Plan vs simple Stubbornness in the face of 'Not QUITE The Plan' requires insight and experience.

Given I'm slow with 'insight' and 'experience' is what you lack until just after you need it, after my own now-nearly TEN year journey, remains demanding of adapting to the ever changing Daily Circumstances. Priority must be given to whatever is most important in our lives.

The little 'here-drink this' after the adjustment, has always been something less than satisfying to my own expectation of clinical justification, yet that is what the provider chooses to use. It has found several times that in fact I was unable to swallow postFill, requiring immediate readjustment adjustment.

I like the idea of the standing swallow, and will suggest it next time at office.

re: "WHAT should I be experiencing to let me know for sure??? Help!" The question at my provider has always been to determine whether I was OVERfilled at that moment. Several times it was the case, and several times it took weeks to months to finally determine "unfill" was indicated.

IMHO it really is an Art, to learn what the precious balance point is....and that notion of 'right amount' of fill, changes over time.

Cheers in your journey.

First off you shouldn't be chugging Water but sipping. You should also suggest that they do your next fill undo fluoroscope with barium so that they can see just how tight the band is around you. Don't give up and be discouraged. You'll get there. Best wishes to you.

Thanks for the responses. I have to pay $185 per fill so it's really hard and expensive for the trial and error fills. Usually she puts it in laying down and I stand to drink. As far as the chugging, she has me sip and then chug it. It always goes down fine.....even the time I was overfilled and couldn't swallow saliva for 48 hours until I could get back to the office. I just wish there was a little bell that would ring or something.....I have slightly diminished hope for my upcoming fill but at least for a while (around a week) I know I will be "full" or swollen or whatever word is appropriate.

I can so totally relate to this. 185.00? OMG! I thought my 60.00 was bad. I had my band unfilled in May 2012 when after my husband was diagnosed with cancer, I started having a lot of issues. Stress was the cause for me. In order to not damage myself I had to do that. I try to fill enough to make it worth it the cost, but I don't know what is good. The Water always goes down just fine, it's food later I have issues with. I can relate to your entire post. I am going back Wednesday to finally fill again, and I am nervous as heck. I hope to follow you and check in with you more. Good luck, we can do it!!

@@Jack said, "Priority must be given to whatever is most important in our lives."

A form of this statement has been my life motto for years. To paraphrase, if you want to know what your values are, look where you spend your time.

We make time for what and whom we value.