Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Few Questions - 1 week post-op

I was banded on the 16th, last Wednesday. I was doing well on the liquids portion, until Sunday or Monday when I started to feel hungry. I started mushies today and I'm still HUNGRY. I feel okay for about two hours after I eat, but then I just get hungry. What can I do?

I've also noticed today that when I eat, I get a little dizzy/lightheaded. Is that normal? Will it pass? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm also having trouble with the idea of stopping when I'm satiated as opposed to eating until I'm full. It might be because my incisions/belly still hurts from surgery, but I can't tell if my stomach hurts from hunger or from other things. Any tips?

I'm trying SO HARD to make this work and to do everything right. But it's hard when I'm still SO hungry.

I should also mention, I'm hungry to the point that it keeps me up at night. I'll wake up to feed my son, and then I can't go back to sleep because my stomach hurts from being hungry. I just started a new job today, so this no sleep thing is not helping.

I was hungry after surgery throughout the whole liquid to mushy stage. When the full diet came along it made a huge difference. Everything you are allowed right now just goes right through if you aren't swollen. It will get better. Just do the best you can. If you are sure you are actually hungry and not just desiring food then why can you not eat? I cant imagine being successful if you feel like you are starving. It is just a slippery slope though knowing the difference in the beginning.

I hope you feel better ASAP.

Colleen

Thank you Colleen, as always! :-) The reason I'm not eating when I am hungry is because my nutritionist told me to have a Breakfast, lunch, and dinner of 1/2 cup of food, and to have 4-6 oz of a Protein Shake between the meals. So I have been doing just that. And it's killing me! I ate dinner two hours ago and I'm already hungry. And bedtime isn't for two more hours. Ugh.

I know what it is like being hungry at night. I gained all my weight by late night eating. I hate trying to go to sleep hungry so I curtail what eat during the day so right before I go to bed I treat myself to something good to eat. Usually applesauce or yogurt or half a bagel or a few Peanut Butter crackers. It is my method for dealing with night time hunger.

It is natural that you are feeling hungry right now. You are not eating much and adjusting to the band. It may take up to 5 fills before you find the green zone. I was hungry only two hours after eating too for a long time. I drank a lot of Water and just dealt with the hunger. Now I have had a few fills and notice that I am not hungry for about 4 hours after I eat. You will get there too. Meanwhile, keep up the good work. Sounds like you will need a fill at the doctors prescribed timing.

1 1/2 cups of food a day plus shakes, not surprised you feel starved. If you can do it then stick to it. For me if I could have starved myself I would have not needed the surgery for help.

I would for sure be calling the surgeons office and let them know this is more restrictive than I could handle. Some times things can be tweaked to better fit each one of us personally. I really do hope they can help you find an answer.

We all have a life besides this and it is hard when we can't get a break from obsessing over food more than we already do. lol

Good luck,

Colleen

i get dizzy too, but it is when i con sums no food most of the day and then eat too much at n ight so I can go to sleep. sleep is very important so I try to follow the rules of strong Protein first with small amounts of veggies late. So far it is working for me. I eat three small meals a day with nothing in between . Mhy downfall is that late at night before I go to bed I eat something very satisfying so I can go to bed and sleep. I am exercising 3 times per week. I am only up to about 2 hour walks. my legs rub together which is very uncomfortable and every time I walk I get blisters. It is hard to exercise when one has these unfortunate maladies but I still go walk even it it is for 10 minutes at a time. I will build up to long her walks soon, but i am not ready for a 5k yet. Too embarrassed to get out there and walk among all th4e skinny people while I am still obese. I will keep trying but I get a lot of anxiety before I meet my walking partners. Anyone have some good advice. I am a new bander only out from May 15th surgery date. Would love to hear what you all have to say about my circumstances.

I was a bit dizzy hear and there too. Thought maybe it was because my sugar intake was now so low. Just try to remember that your body is going thru some major changes. My husband was banded 3.5 yrs ago, so he told me that sucking on a hard candy (and you don't have to finish it, either) can help bounce your sugar back. I wasn't able to do the 'drink orange juice' stage yet, so I didn't bother with that. Once I moved into being able to eat more than just mushed up foods, it got better. Honestly, the Protein shakes helped me, too. My surgeon suggested crystal light in Water, but I'm not a fan of aspartame, so I have some that have sucralose in them, or natural sugar, and just a tiny bit has helped. The dizzy stage was very brief for me. Try to stick to it, as you will thank yourself in the long run. Sips of Protein Shakes helped my hunger in the middle of the night, too. I work midnights, so I was a mess post-op before I went back to work LOL.

Hang in there! You've got this!!!

I was very hungry in the first 2 weeks but as Colleen said when you start getting some real food it makes a difference. Late night eating was always a big problem of mine.. I drink a little almond milk before bed.. Gets rid of that sweet craving.

i get dizzy too, but it is when i con sums no food most of the day and then eat too much at n ight so I can go to sleep. Sleep is very important so I try to follow the rules of strong Protein first with small amounts of veggies late. So far it is working for me. I eat three small meals a day with nothing in between . Mhy downfall is that late at night before I go to bed I eat something very satisfying so I can go to bed and sleep. I am exercising 3 times per week. I am only up to about 2 hour walks. my legs rub together which is very uncomfortable and every time I walk I get blisters. It is hard to exercise when one has these unfortunate maladies but I still go walk even it it is for 10 minutes at a time. I will build up to long her walks soon, but i am not ready for a 5k yet. Too embarrassed to get out there and walk among all th4e skinny people while I am still obese. I will keep trying but I get a lot of anxiety before I meet my walking partners. Anyone have some good advice. I am a new bander only out from May 15th surgery date. Would love to hear what you all have to say about my circumstances.

I'm still new myself. Just 6 days out from surgery. Just to mention on the legs rubbing if you go to a store that is for runners there is actually a rub they have that you can put on your thighs to avoid the pain of the friction. Also get a good pair of shorts or capris that are tight but breathable will help. I get danskins at Walmart that works well.