Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had the most stressful month of my life and I'm concerned about my band. Ten days ago I took a few possessions and my dog, moved out of my house with my college age daughters, and filed for divorce. During the entire month prior to moving day, I was losing weight pretty effortlessly due to a lack of appetite and lots of evening walking. I couldn't eat much at meals and figured it was a combination of relentless stress plus my second fill. It seemed that the band was probably optimally filled because I only got stuck when gobbling food (pork) too fast. I figured at my next appointment at the end of July I would just get checked but not ask for more fill right now.

Well then, after our move, my body finally had a mini meltdown. My arthritis flared so badly over four days that I sat up in bed crying, unable to sleep. My left shoulder and right wrist enflamed at the same time. The bones in my feet screamed in pain. My lips broke out in cold sores.

Then, as suddenly as these symptoms came on, they lifted. Cold sores gone. Shoulder and wrist and feet okay. But suddenly I can eat. And three pounds of the 10 I dropped this month came back almost overnight. I didn't obsess about it because I know it's temporary. But now I wonder if I should get a fill next week after all. I'm not eating between meals or even hungry between meals, but I can eat more at a meal than I've been able to all month.

I'm at that post-crisis point where you suddenly relax for the first time in what seems like forever, and it's so scary because I feel like it can all go down the drain so easily right now.

Was my band tighter-feeling all month because of the constant stress level every day?

Should I not fill in July and wait it out until August?

I feel like I don't even know how to relax without eating. This whole year I've been wound tighter than a rubber band. I'm so scared of turning to food now that I'm not in a constant state of anxiety every day and night. Sounds backwards, I know. But I held it together, did the hard thing, and now that we're okay, I feel like my eating recovery is at risk.

I have a lot of business-type things to do gathering financial and legal documents for the attorney, and I do well when I have a "task" in front of me. But daily life is not the hell it was a week ago, and the "coming down" from the crisis is leaving me in an uncertain state.

Thanks for listening, and if anyone has any pointers for me, I'm all ears. Feeling pretty shaky.

You have been through so much. Divorce is hard even when your happy to be out of it. Just one day at a time for now. There will be happiness to follow in leaps in bounds but also challenges too. Meanwhile the unknown with the band...

The first thing that came to mind is if you could delay your appointment a week or two to see if you feel differently with a little more time rather than no fill for several weeks?

I hope this is your new beginning and your soul fills with an abundance of happiness ad success.

Good luck,

Colleen

Colleen, that's probably what I'll do. It's hard for me to get an afternoon appointment with my nurse practitioner who does the fills unless I take off work, which I've had to do a lot of this month. My original appointment was July 8 and I already postponed it to August 5. Hopefully by then I'll know if I'm tight enough.

So sorry for all that you are going through. Try to take care of yourself.

So sorry for all that you are going through. Try to take care of yourself.

Thank you.

That is a lot on your plate. All of it at once... way too big. Just one thing at a time. Take care of yourself (physically, mentally right down to your soul) Then, even if everything else gets crazy, you'll be strong enough to handle it.

You obviously have made a habit of making good, solid decisions. You decided to get a band. You decided to put your health first. You decided to put yourself and your kids in a better situation by leaving a bad situation . None of these things are easy but you did them. You've got this. I'm totally impressed by everything you're handling at once.

One day at a time.

That is a lot on your plate. All of it at once... way too big. Just one thing at a time. Take care of yourself (physically, mentally right down to your soul) Then, even if everything else gets crazy, you'll be strong enough to handle it.

You obviously have made a habit of making good, solid decisions. You decided to get a band. You decided to put your health first. You decided to put yourself and your kids in a better situation by leaving a bad situation . None of these things are easy but you did them. You've got this. I'm totally impressed by everything you're handling at once.

One day at a time.

Thank you. Yes, it's time now to slow down and take things one at a time.

Life does get in our ways and stress is no fun , but you know what to do , do the same as you have been doing and have learned to do with the tool our band and you will just do fine , we do hit curves and this seems to be a long and winding road for some of us but we walk r jump back on the wagon and ride it through , so try not to stress to much , remember we always took care of everyone else and put every ones needs and health before or , but now we need to take care of us and our health, so we can be around the and try to think and be around positive things and people , hope every gets out better for you, I mean look you lost weight and then the other half of stress weight by getting away from what was keeping you down , now get your spirit lifted.

Life does get in our ways and stress is no fun , but you know what to do , do the same as you have been doing and have learned to do with the tool our band and you will just do fine ,

Yes, back to basics. Thank you.

JustWatchMe,

I'm terribly sorry that you're going through all of this!

My thought as to the two main questions you asked:

"Was my band tighter-feeling all month because of the constant stress level every day?"

Yes, definitely! I know when I'm stressed even just slightly over a bad day the amount I'm able to eat is drastically reduced. I have no appetite and so when eating something as small as yogurt can make it feel like the old days of hitting a buffet and eating until I was about to pop. The amount of stress your under right now is definitely the cause of the band tightness and in my opinion also the culpret of the cold sores and arthritis flare-ups! You are SOOOO strong and you've come so far! You can and will make it through this. In the same way your weight isn't gong to come off overnight, the stress can't be gone in a day so give yourself a llttle break and try to just take time for yourself. To tell you not to stress isn't going to happen, it's a process in life (or atleast in mind) get it all out so that you aren't hanging on to anything and then when it's over it's over!!!!

Regarding another fill, if this were me I would definitely hold off! With that said though I would still keep your appointment at the end of this month just to check in but I'm just afraid that if you were to get another fill at this point and the stress spikes back up you won't be able to eat anything and then you'll have to schedule an additional appointment to have some taken ut, probably causing even more stress. Don't worry about the 3lbs that found you, they're likely just Water weight or just another side effect of all the stress!

Just try to keep yourself as busy as possible! it will help you keep your mind off things and off of eating and as silly as this sounds drink alot of Fluid.

Again, I'm sorry that you're going through this stressful time but you are strong, look at how far you've come there's nothing or no one that can stop you!

Keep your head up lady!!

I've had the most stressful month of my life and I'm concerned about my band. Ten days ago I took a few possessions and my dog, moved out of my house with my college age daughters, and filed for divorce. During the entire month prior to moving day, I was losing weight pretty effortlessly due to a lack of appetite and lots of evening walking. I couldn't eat much at meals and figured it was a combination of relentless stress plus my second fill. It seemed that the band was probably optimally filled because I only got stuck when gobbling food (pork) too fast. I figured at my next appointment at the end of July I would just get checked but not ask for more fill right now.

Well then, after our move, my body finally had a mini meltdown. My arthritis flared so badly over four days that I sat up in bed crying, unable to sleep. My left shoulder and right wrist enflamed at the same time. The bones in my feet screamed in pain. My lips broke out in cold sores.

Then, as suddenly as these symptoms came on, they lifted. Cold sores gone. Shoulder and wrist and feet okay. But suddenly I can eat. And three pounds of the 10 I dropped this month came back almost overnight. I didn't obsess about it because I know it's temporary. But now I wonder if I should get a fill next week after all. I'm not eating between meals or even hungry between meals, but I can eat more at a meal than I've been able to all month.

I'm at that post-crisis point where you suddenly relax for the first time in what seems like forever, and it's so scary because I feel like it can all go down the drain so easily right now.

Was my band tighter-feeling all month because of the constant stress level every day?

Should I not fill in July and wait it out until August?

I feel like I don't even know how to relax without eating. This whole year I've been wound tighter than a rubber band. I'm so scared of turning to food now that I'm not in a constant state of anxiety every day and night. Sounds backwards, I know. But I held it together, did the hard thing, and now that we're okay, I feel like my eating recovery is at risk.

I have a lot of business-type things to do gathering financial and legal documents for the attorney, and I do well when I have a "task" in front of me. But daily life is not the hell it was a week ago, and the "coming down" from the crisis is leaving me in an uncertain state.

Thanks for listening, and if anyone has any pointers for me, I'm all ears. Feeling pretty shaky.

Edited by enjoythetime

Sorry you have to be having such a sucky time, I hope things get better for you soon. As far as stress goes, im guessing that yes, stress caused all yourproblems, and now that your stress is gone, so is the "no appetite". I totally get the need to "task", so if that works for you, how about setting up an hourly task on your phone , calendar, or whatever works for you ? Like 9-9:30, do laundry. 9:30-10, clean kitchen, etc ........whatever your needs are. I find that when I have somewhat of a schedule in my mind, im less likely to wander in the house, which leads me through the kitchen......... to mindless snacking, etc.......... good luck to you ! Hugs !!

@@enjoythetime, @@pink dahlia, thank you. I agree that a fill is not a good idea until the stress calms down for a few weeks straight. One foot in front of the other right now. Your support means a lot.

Edited by JustWatchMe

I understand. I'm stressed in a different way. I'm taking care of my brother that's terminal. Its so hard to take care of ourselves sometimes but its so important .