Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arthritis and no NSAIDs

So I know we're not supposed to take NSAIDs with the VSG, but what does a doctor prescribe if someone has arthritis or develops arthritis in the future?

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis in my early 20s. I generally take 3 Advil each night (haven't been sleeved yet). I haven't had pain events for about 20 years, so may not need the Advil any longer, but I am just curious if I get off the Advil and start having pain again, what can I expect to get for the pain. Acetaminophen wouldn't be good for long term due to possible hepatotoxicity. Just curious. I went in for my monthly insurance required doctor weight plan visit and meant to ask, but forgot. Thought my bariatric pals might be able to help. :)

I too would be curious... my Doctor says no NSAIDs for the 2 week pre-op diet.... I have had multiple broken bones, have no cartilage in one ankle and one knee.. Pain at times is excruciating. Tylenol is a joke. My greatest wish for weight loss is to lessen my joint pain.

I used to take prescription strength Naproxin morning and night. I had to switch to Voltarin-a cream that is applied and absorbed through the skin like an NSAID. I am fortunate that it worked for me until I could lose enough weight to not need it any longer. It is a tough road to travel while losing the weight.

Good luck to y'all,

Kathleen

I used to take prescription strength Naproxin morning and night. I had to switch to Voltarin-a cream that is applied and absorbed through the skin like an NSAID. I am fortunate that it worked for me until I could lose enough weight to not need it any longer. It is a tough road to travel while losing the weight. Good luck to y'all, Kathleen

I don't have arthritis, but shortly after my surgery I developed tennis elbow, which is really painful. Voltarin gel worked wonders for me as well.

Arthritis runs in my family and that was one of my concerns with being unable to take NSAIDs in the future. Aside from topical NSAIDS, there are other types of medications used to treat arthritis including steroids, DMARDs, and TNF blockers. It's definitely worth it to talk with your MD about!

I do plan on speaking with my doctor on my next visit.

@momohime, did you voice concerns to your doctor about the arthritis running in the family? I was wondering what you might have been told to ease your mind with having the surgery.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Voltarin cream works for me too. I got it on prescription from my orthopedist. Since losing my first 60 pounds, I do not need it nearly as much.

Jeez! I had no idea there were topical NSAIDs!

This is amazing news to me.

Thank you all.

Just a thought for you. I developed extreme gout in both big toe joints after being sleeved and endured months of pain that would not let up. Most all I could do was sit with ice on my toe and was using a cane to walk. The gout meds (NSAIDS) I was told, would "eat" my sleeve. Scary stuff. I had to take them anyway and got deathly ill from the drugs. I lucked up and on May 8 I went to a compound pharmacist I have known for years, who believes in herbal remedies, who put me on a regimen of Curamin, Tart Cherry & Celery capsules, Milk Thistle, Omega 3 (plus 2 weeks of veggies, fruit & nuts). Tumeric sprinkled on my food, and lots of fresh celery. Within 2 days the gout went away. Two and a half months now I am still pain free. I would urge you to research some herbal remedies. I am a Believer! Good luck!

I will say this from my experience. I had horrible knee pain due to arthritis. I did steroids, artificial cartridge injections and even surgery. I used anti inflammatory meds for years, until I had to be put on blood thinners for the rest of my life. ( due to blood clots) I was no longer able to use the medication that actually helped me and my knees were terrible. I got to the point I could barely stand to walk. I was put on Tramidol for the pain. I took my last pain pill before surgery and have not needed any since. I have lost over 95lbs and that has taken tremendous pressure off my joints, especially my poor knees. They rarely, if ever, bother me now. And if I REALLY need to take something for pain I usually take a little of my daughters' acetaminophen. ( Children's Tylenol) Not saying everyone will have the same results as I did, but I will say it is amazing how much difference there is now for me.

I will say this from my experience. I had horrible knee pain due to arthritis. I did steroids, artificial cartridge injections and even surgery. I used anti inflammatory meds for years, until I had to be put on blood thinners for the rest of my life. ( due to blood clots) I was no longer able to use the medication that actually helped me and my knees were terrible. I got to the point I could barely stand to walk. I was put on Tramidol for the pain. I took my last pain pill before surgery and have not needed any since. I have lost over 95lbs and that has taken tremendous pressure off my joints, especially my poor knees. They rarely, if ever, bother me now. And if I REALLY need to take something for pain I usually take a little of my daughters' acetaminophen. ( Children's Tylenol) Not saying everyone will have the same results as I did, but I will say it is amazing how much difference there is now for me.

My surgeon told me that it's ok to take nsaids with the sleeve; it's with the bypass that you can't use them. In the meantime, I also use Biofreeze on my knees...it does eliminate the pain. I'm 7 months out and have been taking Aleve all along without any side effects.

My surgeon (and another bariatric surgeon I consulted with said NSAIDS were fine with the sleeve.) My neuro said to limit them to 3 or less times per week to avoid medication overuse pain (your body can indeed become addicted, requiring more and more medication). I have been sleeved for 3 months and take NSAIDS sparingly, but at least once per week. I have had zero problems, but everyone is different. I have neck arthritis as well as other chronic pain which requires medication to manage.

This is my experience. You make an informed decision that works for you.

Wow, and we were told no NSAIDs for the rest of our lives! Craziness.

Wow, and we were told no NSAIDs for the rest of our lives! Craziness.

I wasn't told for the rest of my life, but I figure it's best practice for me to avoid them for the most part. I was told to stay off them during the first few months while my sleeve was healing, and use only sparingly in the future and after consulting with my surgeon to make sure it's the best choice for me. Aside from the tennis elbow issue, I haven't really had a need, that being said, I've never had arthritis. It's funny, I actually used to get headaches a lot before my surgery, and I've had a total of one headache since my surgery six weeks ago.