Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arthritis and no NSAIDs

Wow, and we were told no NSAIDs for the rest of our lives! Craziness.

I wasn't told for the rest of my life, but I figure it's best practice for me to avoid them for the most part. I was told to stay off them during the first few months while my sleeve was healing, and use only sparingly in the future and after consulting with my surgeon to make sure it's the best choice for me. Aside from the tennis elbow issue, I haven't really had a need, that being said, I've never had arthritis. It's funny, I actually used to get headaches a lot before my surgery, and I've had a total of one headache since my surgery six weeks ago.

Speaking of headaches, I used to live on Excedrin. Since the sleeve, I have had no headaches.

Honestly, I think using NSAIDs sparingly is probably ok. It's when you have a chronic condition and have to use them daily, like you usually do with arthritis, when it's probably best to use something aside from NSAIDs. While I didn't take them on a daily basis pre-op, I did take Aleve and Advil regularly for pain. When my surgeon did my sleeve, he said I had already started to develop gastritis. That's why I personally will not take NSAIDs anymore, although I wish I could just because they're so easy/readily available.

As far as being ok with the future and no NSAIDs, because so many of my immediate family members have arthritis I already knew there were alternatives for treatments other than NSAIDs. My grandmother, mom, and dad have osteoarthritis and my grandfather has ankylosing spondylitis. He takes second line treatments, which have worked well for him. I haven't developed arthritis... yet. I think the majority of my back pain is from poor posture and my stupid boobs. I'm hoping that losing weight and a possible breast reduction will prolong the inevitable for me.. but it was still a trade-off that I was willing to accept.

My surgeon said I might have to go off the prescription strength Ibuprofen I have been taking for a long time. But it was not a firm rule he says it is more important to listen to my body. He does want me off the NSAID pre-op and while my stomach is healing. At an appointment today my neurosurgeon talked about using liquid Ibuprofen, but could not find the information on prescription strength liquid. Does anyone out there know if they make a liquid adult Ibuprofen.

Topical NSAIDs might be a good choice. But a word of caution, NSAIDs don't affect your stomach by sitting in your stomach! It happens in your blood stream. Granted it may not be as likely as oral meds, but still a possibility. Just didn't want you to think 100% safe! Protect your little sleeve & good luck!

Just a thought for you. I developed extreme gout in both big toe joints after being sleeved and endured months of pain that would not let up. Most all I could do was sit with ice on my toe and was using a cane to walk. The gout meds (NSAIDS) I was told, would "eat" my sleeve. Scary stuff. I had to take them anyway and got deathly ill from the drugs. I lucked up and on May 8 I went to a compound pharmacist I have known for years, who believes in herbal remedies, who put me on a regimen of Curamin, Tart Cherry & Celery capsules, Milk Thistle, Omega 3 (plus 2 weeks of veggies, fruit & nuts). Tumeric sprinkled on my food, and lots of fresh celery. Within 2 days the gout went away. Two and a half months now I am still pain free. I would urge you to research some herbal remedies. I am a Believer! Good luck!

Linda, I was reading through the internet about possibilities other than NSAIDs and saw Tumeric. This sounds like a wonderful herb and what I would try if I began feeling pain again.

I checked out the Vitamin section in Walmart yesterday and found them in capsule form there for $6.98 for 90 capsules. Suggested dose is 1 per day.

This sounds like it's a great alternative.

Looks like I will be looking more at herbal for the future.

From what I read on tumeric, says it can take up to a week for results to be felt. Of course that's what it took for the NSAIDs also.

Worth a shot.

Edited by brians34

Just a thought for you. I developed extreme gout in both big toe joints after being sleeved and endured months of pain that would not let up. Most all I could do was sit with ice on my toe and was using a cane to walk. The gout meds (NSAIDS) I was told, would "eat" my sleeve. Scary stuff. I had to take them anyway and got deathly ill from the drugs. I lucked up and on May 8 I went to a compound pharmacist I have known for years, who believes in herbal remedies, who put me on a regimen of Curamin, Tart Cherry & Celery capsules, Milk Thistle, Omega 3 (plus 2 weeks of veggies, fruit & nuts). Tumeric sprinkled on my food, and lots of fresh celery. Within 2 days the gout went away. Two and a half months now I am still pain free. I would urge you to research some herbal remedies. I am a Believer! Good luck!

Linda, I was reading through the internet about possibilities other than NSAIDs and saw Tumeric. This sounds like a wonderful herb and what I would try if I began feeling pain again.

I checked out the Vitamin section in Walmart yesterday and found them in capsule form there for $6.98 for 90 capsules. Suggested dose is 1 per day.

This sounds like it's a great alternative.

Looks like I will be looking more at herbal for the future.

From what I read on tumeric, says it can take up to a week for results to be felt. Of course that's what it took for the NSAIDs also.

Worth a shot.

Brian, I agree. I Think of all the years I gulped Advil, Coriciden, and Excedrin like candy. My husband is diabetic and would suffer a headache and never take meds. He worries about the long term effect on his kidneys. We should all try more natural remedies. I also googled Tumeric and read about the benefits. I was told to use it on the table as I would salt and pepper. So, my little container of Tumeric is always handy. Good luck!

So I know we're not supposed to take NSAIDs with the VSG, but what does a doctor prescribe if someone has arthritis or develops arthritis in the future? I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis in my early 20s. I generally take 3 Advil each night (haven't been sleeved yet). I haven't had pain events for about 20 years, so may not need the Advil any longer, but I am just curious if I get off the Advil and start having pain again, what can I expect to get for the pain. Acetaminophen wouldn't be good for long term due to possible hepatotoxicity. Just curious. I went in for my monthly insurance required doctor weight plan visit and meant to ask, but forgot. Thought my bariatric pals might be able to help. :)

I'm in the same boat you are. I was sleeved in September 2013. I didn't find out until after the fact that I would no longer be over to take any anti-inflammatories any longer. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and psoriatic arthritis, i've had seven spinal surgeries including a cervical spine fusion.... Among other things. I miss my anti-inflammatories I really do… I originally thought that I just had to stop for preop only and found out after the fact that was not the case. Unfortunately my surgeons were not as familiar with my medical needs and circumstances as I thought they were and I would've liked for them to have been.

I'm not completely familiar with your condition-I believe it's a type of rheumatism so I can try and offer some of the things I try alternatively have been somewhat helpful..

Homeopathic side – if you've ever going to a chiropractor or physical therapy… They have these incredible hot packs. At least I think they are. Heating pads to me don't really work because they don't get deep. You don't feel the moist heat all the way down to the muscle/bone… Heating pad is just topical. Like I said, physical therapy places have a machine called a hydrocollator. Which is just essentially a metal box that keeps these hot packs really hot all day long. I found out you could actually buy the hot packs online – I get them from Amazon personally… You don't have to have a Hydrocollator – those things are $500-$600. I heat mine up one of two ways – I get the biggest pot I have and heat it up on the stove until it's boiling and I put the hotpack in it long enough for it to heat up or even better, if you have one of those countertop turkey roasters… You know the kind that you bring out around the holidays – I just fill that up with Water and let it heat up with the pad in it. The pads are reusable – all you do is wrapped in plastic or what have you and put them in the freezer when you're not using them. So for me, it makes it Universal – there are times when I need heat and there's times when I need cold... So, when I need the cold I just take them out of the freezer and use them and when I need the heat I heat them up…

These are what I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EALLTU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQ25LS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Medication wise – again, I don't know the specifics on your condition but I do have to take certain Biologics for my rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis I just started in on Humira but I've been on quite a few of them (Orazio, Cinzia, and some others I can't remember) and i'm also on a regular regimen of methotrexate. When I have flareups, I go to my doctor and I get an injection of steroids and toradol. Toradol all is in my opinion a great anti-inflammatory – it's something that we can still take as long it's not in the pill form. I've been prescribed a Toradol nasal spray and I get Toradol injections at the doctors office. The reason we can take it this way is, it doesn't get digested through the stomach. I also have liquid prednisone that I can take that I avoid prednisones at all costs if I am able.

I'm not a doctor but this is just some things that have helped me. I didn't think that I could go without the anti-inflammatories myself but, I've been able to. It doesn't mean that I don't miss them from time to time but, having the surgery was more important.

Jeez! I had no idea there were topical NSAIDs! This is amazing news to me. Thank you all.

There are – and there are quite a few compounds to that doctors can make – they break down the medications and put them into a cream form… I've had them breakdown 5 to 6 medications and put it into a compound but just a warning, they don't always work for everybody. At least they never worked for me. It's just a heads up… if your doctors find out to be an option for you, I hope it works :-)

I wasn't told for the rest of my life, but I figure it's best practice for me to avoid them for the most part. I was told to stay off them during the first few months while my sleeve was healing, and use only sparingly in the future and after consulting with my surgeon to make sure it's the best choice for me. Aside from the tennis elbow issue, I haven't really had a need, that being said, I've never had arthritis. It's funny, I actually used to get headaches a lot before my surgery, and I've had a total of one headache since my surgery six weeks ago.

I guess it depends on the doctor… LOL I was told forever too. From what I was told, regardless of your stage of surgery and healing, the NSAIDs can eat away or breakdown the new stomach. I think it partly has to do with the fact that our body doesn't digest pills as well as a normal stomach does. For example if the pills just sit in the stomach or what's left of the stomach, you can easily develop ulcers and things of that nature.

Thanks to Bariatric Pal we all can share this great information. I am amazed at the knowledge and help we can get here.

Kindle has a great post about the use of NSAIDs post #67 in this thread

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/306621-medical-bracelets-for-sleevers/page-9

Brian, I agree. I Think of all the years I gulped Advil, Coriciden, and Excedrin like candy. My husband is diabetic and would suffer a headache and never take meds. He worries about the long term effect on his kidneys. We should all try more natural remedies. I also googled Tumeric and read about the benefits. I was told to use it on the table as I would salt and pepper. So, my little container of Tumeric is always handy. Good luck!

I'm never been able to tolerate Tumeric but Ginger is also a natural anti-inflammatory… I guess you could always use one or the other :-) or both!

Yes, Ginger was recommended to me too. I buy small jars and add a little to my salad.

I take Celebrex a few times a week with no problems, & ok'd by my GP. This NSAID has less gastric side- effects than ibuprofen, voltaren, naproxen, & others. But I try to take as few as possible.

I take Celebrex a few times a week with no problems, & ok'd by my GP. This NSAID has less gastric side- effects than ibuprofen, voltaren, naproxen, & others. But I try to take as few as possible.

I'm glad they cleared you for it… I was told it was a no go by all my doctors involved… Surgeon, primary care, pain mgmt, and rheumatologist. Other than that the injection I mentioned before, I've been told it's too much of a risk. Maybe they'll come out with something that doesn't affect things so much. We can hope