Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with a leak

Hi all! This is my first time posting but I've read your posts for weeks. On June 4th I had my VSG done. 2 weeks later I started having left shoulder pain. I had an upper GI that showed nothing. Week before last a chest xray showed Fluid around my left lung. A ct scan with contrast indicated there may be a leak. Another upper gi was done and a leak was found. I was placed on antibiotics and antifungal meds and was placed back on Clear Liquids. Thursday I had an endoscopy done and two small leaks were found. There was one staple between the two leaks. The Dr. placed a bear claw clip on each of the leaks and also burned them to promote healing. I was feeling much better Friday but now my shoulder pain has returned and I'm scared that the clips have failed. Anyone have a leak heal with the clips?

So sorry to hear that you're having troubles. I also had my surgery two weeks ago. Did your doctor tell you how the leak may have happened? Do you remember having a leak test before you were released from the hospital (contrasting liquid shown on X-ray)? I appreciate knowing the kind of symptoms to be aware of and wish you a speedy recovery.

So sorry you are experiencing this. I hope all gets sorted out soon. This is the part we don't hear about. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for you.

So sorry to hear that you're having troubles. I also had my surgery two weeks ago. Did your doctor tell you how the leak may have happened? Do you remember having a leak test before you were released from the hospital (contrasting liquid shown on X-ray)? I appreciate knowing the kind of symptoms to be aware of and wish you a speedy recovery.

My surgery was actually 6 weeks ago. I did have a leak test the day after my surgery and again 2 weeks later. They never saw a leak on either of those. As far as symptoms go I never had any except left shoulder pain and nausea.

So sorry you are experiencing this. I hope all gets sorted out soon. This is the part we don't hear about. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for you.

Thank you. I never thought in a million years that I would get a leak.

Thank you. I never thought in a million years that I would get a leak.

Of course you didn't. None of us are really prepared to be told something is not right. I also had the leek test the day after my surgery and it came back negative. So we just don't know what can happen. My surgery lasted 5 1/2hours. I'm still in shock. I really do hope they fix you up soon and you can get back to recovering and moving on with the process. Be encouraged.

My leak showed up 6 weeks later....but about 4 weeks post op I also had left shoulder pain....it turns out I had a very small leak and the left shoulder pain was from an abcess on my spleen.....they tried to heal me with 6 weeks of NPO but that did not work and May 1 they put a stent in which will hopefully come out next week.....I get your struggle but keep your head up....we will get through this????????????

Of course you didn't. None of us are really prepared to be told something is not right. I also had the leek test the day after my surgery and it came back negative. So we just don't know what can happen. My surgery lasted 5 1/2hours. I'm still in shock. I really do hope they fix you up soon and you can get back to recovering and moving on with the process. Be encouraged.

Am I reading you correctly, your vgs surgery was 5 ½ hours? Why did it take so long? My understanding is that the surgery is around an hour. Did yiu have surgery in the US? I am so sorry you are having to go through this. From what I've read teaks do heal in time...keep us updated!

Yes, I had surgery in Brooklyn, NY. I finally saw my surgeon the following day around 4pm and could not wait to ask her why I was in surgery that long. She had previously told me the surgery would be one to two hours long. She did know of the three previous c sections and was prepared for the possibility that there may be some scar tissue. That's why she stated it may last about two hours. She stated the scar tissue was in the way and had to be removed before she could even begin. She understood how emotional I felt about waking up and finding out I had been in surgery that long. She explained I did well the entire time and I was never in any danger. I felt better after she spoke with me. Overall I'm doing well I guess. I will have my first visit with her tomorrow. Hopefully get my drain out and be put on some kind of food.

But enough about me. How are you feeling? Is it difficult being NPO?

Am I reading you correctly, your vgs surgery was 5 ½ hours? Why did it take so long? My understanding is that the surgery is around an hour. Did yiu have surgery in the US? I am so sorry you are having to go through this. From what I've read teaks do heal in time...keep us updated!

Sorry, don't how how my post got in the middle of your post. Hope you can still follow it

I had no idea a c-section could cause that much scarring. I had a section 7 years ago with twins so it's a little wider than most And I have lots of tenderness 7 years out. I've always assumed it was adhesions from the surgery. My surgeon is very experienced so I hope he has seen everything.... I'm gonna talk to him about it further at my pro-op in a couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing your story, otherwise I would have had no idea to talk to him about it. I'm sure I've got scar tissue considering how tender I am.... Please keep us posted about how your healing with the leak goes...sounds like you have a great surgeon and I'm sure you will heal. Please keep us posted! shellie

Edited by shellief

I had no idea a c-section could cause that much scarring. I had a section 7 years ago with twins so it's a little wider than most And I have lots of tenderness 7 years out. I've always assumed it was adhesions from the surgery. My surgeon is very experienced so I hope he has seen everything.... I'm gonna talk to him about it further at my pro-op in a couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing your story, otherwise I would have had no idea to talk to him about it. I'm sure I've got scar tissue considering how tender I am.... Please keep us posted about how your healing with the leak goes...sounds like you have a great surgeon and I'm sure you will heal. Please keep us posted! shellie

It depends on where they opened the uterus. My sil has had 6 c's and is full of scars and needs hernia surgery. Doc said normally an hour or less but since she's had so many c's he's not sure if it's clean to move around or not.

Also depends on other factors like endometriosis etc

Hi all! This is my first time posting but I've read your posts for weeks. On June 4th I had my VSG done. 2 weeks later I started having left shoulder pain. I had an upper GI that showed nothing. Week before last a chest xray showed Fluid around my left lung. A ct scan with contrast indicated there may be a leak. Another upper gi was done and a leak was found. I was placed on antibiotics and antifungal meds and was placed back on clear liquids. Thursday I had an endoscopy done and two small leaks were found. There was one staple between the two leaks. The Dr. placed a bear claw clip on each of the leaks and also burned them to promote healing. I was feeling much better Friday but now my shoulder pain has returned and I'm scared that the clips have failed. Anyone have a leak heal with the clips?

How are you doing? Been thinking about you and keeping all fingers and toes crossed....

Sorry, don't how how my post got in the middle of your post. Hope you can still follow it

How are you doing now? I've been thinking about you and Mistletoes....crossing fingers.....

How are you doing now? I've been thinking about you and Mistletoes....crossing fingers.....

I'm doing well, thank you. I'm three weeks post op today and feeling really good. Not alot of eneryg to exercise as I'm not eating very much and I struggle to get my Water in. Just no room for the shakes and all the liquid. But I'm trying to do better every day.