Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who really followed the post-op diet?

Oh wait...is this pre or post? Pre surgrey I cheated very little...I ate a snack size twix here or there or ate an extra bowl of cabbage here or there but still lists a total of 10lbs preop. Now that I'm in post op....I'm too afraid. Honestly I couldn't see myself having to go back in and my doctor having to cut me open again. I'm only 6 days out and I'm sticking to the liquids. Am I drinking enough liquids, probably not, but nothing solid. Do I desire something solid, yes!

I tried to follow the post-op diet, but was unable to eat or drink anything due to nausea. By day 3 I was getting dehydrated and very weak do to lack of Protein. All the Protein drinks made me nauseous. I had to find something that would agree with me. I made some instant mashed potatoes then took 1 TBLS spoon and mixed it with 1 TBLS skim milk. Was is a clear liquid? No. Was it the consistency of clear liquid? Yes. Was I able to keep it down? Yes. Had I not done that, I know I would have ended up in the hospital. I was also able to mix 1 TBLS cottage cheese with 1 TBLS skim milk and do the same thing. I am 1 week out today and I feel so much better. The nausea is gone. Still struggling with finding what tiny tummy will be happy with. Today my doctor started me on soft foods, so I have more to choose from. At lunch I had to try 3 different things before tiny was happy. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. At least I wasn't trying to eat junk like chips. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.

You really need to follow them both, pre and post op diets. Cheating can put you at a much higher risk for complications. You are allowing someone to alter the anatomy of your stomach astronomically and they have rules for good reasons. If you aren't ready to make the commitment then you probably aren't ready for surgery because it gets harder. You eventually get tired of the shakes but you have to push to eat them to get your Protein, it's hard to remember to eat and drink constantly at first and to follow all of the rules but you must follow them! It will only cause you pain if you progress too quickly, trust us..we have been through this and made mistakes and they suck so do your best to follow your doctor's orders!

Pre op was a tough one for me because I had an unexpected delay when my insurance approval hit a snag and my surgeon went out on vaca the next week! That meant instead of 2 weeks my preop ended up being 30 days. I did "cheat" by sucking on one hersheys kiss about twice (i blame tom) but still fit that into my carb count which is what my doc stressed more than anything to shrink up my liver.

I looked at it like this… 1. if I didn't have a preop I seriously would have gained another 20 lbs with food funerals I had already had quite a few but the emotions really ramp up as you get close to your date and 2. this will be the last "DIET" you ever have to adhere to. On the other side you just learn a new way to eat that is comfortable and healthy for you and you learn it slowly and with a strong physical boundary tool aka tiny tummy to help.

I followed the pre-op diet as well - it wasn't easy and it sucked. I suggest following the doctor's orders...always.

I tried to follow the post-op diet, but was unable to eat or drink anything due to nausea. By day 3 I was getting dehydrated and very weak do to lack of Protein. All the Protein drinks made me nauseous. I had to find something that would agree with me. I made some instant mashed potatoes then took 1 TBLS spoon and mixed it with 1 TBLS skim milk. Was is a clear liquid? No. Was it the consistency of clear liquid? Yes. Was I able to keep it down? Yes. Had I not done that, I know I would have ended up in the hospital. I was also able to mix 1 TBLS cottage cheese with 1 TBLS skim milk and do the same thing. I am 1 week out today and I feel so much better. The nausea is gone. Still struggling with finding what tiny tummy will be happy with. Today my doctor started me on soft foods, so I have more to choose from. At lunch I had to try 3 different things before tiny was happy. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. At least I wasn't trying to eat junk like chips. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.

So jealous of you right now! Lol....I wish I could have some mash potatoes...glad to see you're feeling better!

I followed both pre-op and post-op to the letter. I invested too much into the process to stray from the path.

My surgery is on Monday 7/21 as well. I also find the pre-op diet very challenging. I am trying to follow it to the T and everyday wake up with the right intentions. Today I have done really well and I usually do until I get home.

Do the best you can especially since with each day that passes we get closer to the surgery date.

I would have failed post-op were it not for hard choices pre-op. Not good to go through food withdrawal immediately after surgery. It was hard, but now I am 7 months out, can eat normally, and I've lost 98 lbs -soooo worth it!!! Can barely even remember the struggle for 3 weeks pro-op!

My pre-op diet was actually a process of elimination for three months as I dropped starches, soda pop, caffein, salt, you know the drill. Then ten days out I started the liquid diet, I was scared to death to not follow it. I am six months out post op and still following the plan. Yeah, it is hard, but I volunteered for this and I am letting the process do its work. I lost 23 pounds pre-op and have lost 39 post op. I have 38 to goal.

I followed 100% for a month as well, to scared not to. Now I'm a week away from pureed foods and really nervous. The only time I've been hungry has all been in my head. Now I see what I used to put into my stomach and cannot imagine ever doing it again. I've been lucky with no complications and healing well after 2 weeks! I kept imagining if I cheated DR. would see it in my stomach as he was removing it. I also knew after my gall bladder was taken out how tender your liver is and if it wasn't lean it will hurt, this didn't hurt nearly as much! Good luck it's worth it.

I'm not following it but in the opposite way.. I haven't had any shakes I've only been drinking Water. I can't down the shakes or Soups they smell disgusting and I can't even force myself to do it without feeling like vomiting. I had no problems doing them for a week a month ago, but now it's like my body is saying .. no, f u I won't do this again..

My surgeon only required one day of Clear liquids (the day before). I was concerned about my own liver and health and voluntarily followed a liquid program with Protein shakes for two weeks. Not only did I do this, but hubby did as well to show me his support.

One very ironic thing though ... at my two week check up today, there were 4 of us all waiting for our appointments in the lobby. We were all operated on 7/1 and walked the halls together, none of them had done anyting except Clear Liquids the day before. All three of them had pain and had experienced some vomiting ... not me! Was it because of my diet? Who knows, I just know I feel much better than any of them do. Would I do it again? Absolutely!