Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Trace Curry-Cincinnati, Ohio

As anyone had surgery or seen Dr. Curry before? I'm having surgery with him Monday and so far it had been great!

Hi Sunrise!

I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Curry on the same day as you...Monday, June 9th!!

The closer you get to Monday, how are you feeling? I am really trying to not think on it much because I am nervous. I am single so most of my WLS journey has been and will be done all alone. I'm worried about recovery and how that will be. My ex-husband lives very near so at least the kids can hang with him for a week. My biggest concerns at this point are dehydration and missing the ability to eat a whole plateful of something delicious....even though that is also what I'm most excited about too.

What are your stats?

I am 5'6", 210 lbs, 33 bmi I am a low bmi'er and that was a lot of my concern in the beginning. Dr. Curry, as you know, has the lap-band and he was a low bmi'er as well. I think he was also a 33. He said recovery would be easier, complication rates are lower, and long-term success is better. I have been as high as a 42 bmi and am just so tired of the CONSTANT battle with my weight. I feel Dr. Curry is very understanding of my situation.

It's so great to know someone else in the 'neighborhood' who has my doc AND on the same day!? What are the chances. :)

Tell me about your experiences....

Hi Sunrise! I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Curry on the same day as you...Monday, June 9th!! The closer you get to Monday, how are you feeling? I am really trying to not think on it much because I am nervous. I am single so most of my WLS journey has been and will be done all alone. I'm worried about recovery and how that will be. My ex-husband lives very near so at least the kids can hang with him for a week. My biggest concerns at this point are dehydration and missing the ability to eat a whole plateful of something delicious....even though that is also what I'm most excited about too. What are your stats? I am 5'6", 210 lbs, 33 bmi I am a low bmi'er and that was a lot of my concern in the beginning. Dr. Curry, as you know, has the lap-band and he was a low bmi'er as well. I think he was also a 33. He said recovery would be easier, complication rates are lower, and long-term success is better. I have been as high as a 42 bmi and am just so tired of the CONSTANT battle with my weight. I feel Dr. Curry is very understanding of my situation. It's so great to know someone else in the 'neighborhood' who has my doc AND on the same day!? What are the chances. :) Tell me about your experiences....

I've very excited about Monday. A little worried because I have been in the pre-op diet for 26 days now. I have cheated a few times but have still lost 20 lbs. I have also heard the horror stories of the Dr. opening you up, seeing your liver is too big and closing you up right back up. That's my biggest worry right now.

I am sorry you don't have a good support group. Maybe we can meet Monday and stay in touch?! :) My mom, dad, bf and best friend are all coming with me. We all live about 3 1/2 hours away.

I totally agree with you on being able to eat a plate...1/2 plate...1/3 of a plate (lol) of food and ACTUALLY being food. I love all sorts of food and it is a blessing as well as a curse. I always over eat! I am 5' 7" and starting weight was 361. Current weight is about 325. So I'm getting there. I am on the higher BMI side but am finally almost under 50!

Isn't it a small world? Haha. What time do you have to be there Monday? I have to be there at 8am.

36 pounds gone already?! Whoop Whoop!

It sounds like you have a good support system in place. That's good. Even though i don't have a big supportive group I feel pretty confident that I've prepared myself enough to know what to expect and how to handle issues in the first few weeks post-op.

We're just hours away from doing this! My stomach has butterfly's and my hands are a bit shaky, but I am much more excited than scared. I still can't believe I am voluntarily removing 85% of my stomach! It seems so drastic, but in my heart I know it is needed.

Now, get this. I LOST the paper I wrote my last minute instructions on. Journey Lite called me while I was on vacation last week and rescheduled my time and I hastily scribbled everything on the back of an envelope. Surgery is now 11am...but I can't remember if I need to be there one hour or two hours before surgery??? What were your instructions regarding?

This is what I remember...loose clothing, no food/drink after midnight tonight, no med's, and arrive <blank> hours before surgery.

I hope to see you tomorrow!! I wonder if we were in the same nutrition class on May 29th? If so, I was sitting in the front left table (looking toward the front of the room).

<p>36 pounds gone already?! Whoop Whoop!</p> <p> </p> <p>It sounds like you have a good support system in place. That's good. Even though i don't have a big supportive group I feel pretty confident that I've prepared myself enough to know what to expect and how to handle issues in the first few weeks post-op.</p> <p> </p> <p>We're just hours away from doing this! My stomach has butterfly's and my hands are a bit shaky, but I am much more excited than scared. I still can't believe I am voluntarily removing 85% of my stomach! It seems so drastic, but in my heart I know it is needed. </p> <p> </p> <p>Now, get this. I LOST the paper I wrote my last minute instructions on. Journey Lite called me while I was on vacation last week and rescheduled my time and I hastily scribbled everything on the back of an envelope. Surgery is now 11am...but I can't remember if I need to be there one hour or two hours before surgery??? What were your instructions regarding?</p> <p> </p> <p>This is what I remember...loose clothing, no food/drink after midnight tonight, no med's, and arrive <blank> hours before surgery.</p> <p> </p> <p>I hope to see you tomorrow!! I wonder if we were in the same nutrition class on May 29th? If so, I was sitting in the front left table (looking toward the front of the room). </p>

It's crazy right?! I'm so excited! But I definitely feel the butterflies. I get off of work tonight at 11pm and off to Cincinnati at 4:30am. Phew!

My surgery got moved up a half hour. The instructions I have say to be there 2 hours early. So I probably won't see you before my surgery since mine is most likely at 10, arrival time is 8am. We weren't in the same nutrition class, mine was in the beginning of May. And you say where I was when I took the class. Haha. Good luck tomorrow and please let me know how tomorrow goes as soon as you feel up to it! Still can't get over that we will be getting sleeved just an hour apart by the same surgeon. You will probably see my dad, mom, bf and best friend. My dad is a big guy (foot ball player build) with a beard, my mom is average and has short hair and then my bf is average along with my best friend. Can't miss the bunch! Lol my profile picture is me, so if you see me please say hi! :)

I don't envy you waking up that early to drive. I need to leave my home at 8:00am to be there by 9:00am.

Yes, let's keep in touch tomorrow after getting settled. I am so thankful we connected on this site. It's crazy that we sat in the same area in the nutrition class!! lol

I will be with my ex-husband. I have short black hair. Maybe we'll see each other in passing!?

Good Luck! Good Luck! How wonderful for us that we've got the courage and strength to be making this VSG decision.

:) :)

I hope I get to see you tomorrow! Good luck again! We have the best surgeon and I have full confidence in him and his team!

Got done with the surgery in about 30-40 minutes. Woke up with some pain. But the nausea was worse. Seemed to take them forever to figure it out. Probably only a half hour. Everything went great, in a hotel room now. Walking and drinking has been going fine. Pain is just coming back but took some of my pain pills and an anti-nausea medicine. Haven't been able to pee since about 4:30 this morning. If I can't go in the left 3 hours I have to go back to the hospital :(.

Morning everyone!

I had my surgery in 4-29 with dr curry. My girlfriend had hers about a year ago and her mother had hers 5 years ago. All of us had successful and pretty easy recoveries.

Hardest part for me was the emotional aspect. I'm now six weeks and one day out and eating soft foods and for the life of me I can't remember what I was so emotional about lol I've never lost weight before only gained and gained and gained even with physician assisted diets and crazy work out programs. To finally see the scale go down is amazing.

Good luck to you both and i hope all recovery goes smoothly!

Thank you misslisa! It's good to hear about others with my same doctor.

Oh sunrise..I'm so sorry. I read on another post that you've had to go back into hospital for hydration. That is what I am struggling with now...getting in enough fluids. Yesterday I made 24 oz and today will be about the same.

I have tenderness at my incision site, not very painful, just something to be aware of. The worst for me is the air that is trapped under my breasts. I take a sip sip sip and immediately have to hop up and walk because the liquid feels like it displaces my giant air bubble which is very uncomfortable until I am able to burp the air out.

I just drank 3oz of chicken broth and it took me about 30 minutes. 2oz of Water or broth I can get down in about 10 minutes.

I couldn't finish an entire popsicle but Jello actually seems to go down pretty good.

I remember seeing you briefly! You are so pretty!!

I wasn't in any pain or nausea, but man oh man was I doppy. I literally could not keep my eyes open for the four hours of recovery time. When I did force them open I saw double everything. That lasted until the next morning. My pain pills make me very sleepy. My daughter said I was only awake for a total of about 4 hours yesterday. No wonder I couldn't get good Fluid amounts in!

Today I haven't had any meds and so have been awake much longer...although I did have two naps I was still awake more than asleep today.

But the BIGGEST thing is this......I cannot believe I just had 85% of my stomach removed! Egads. That's a big deal. I feel good about it. I feel like this is so important to do for myself. I feel like VSG is a life vest thrown out to me in this endless sea of diets, failures, shame, binge eating, and future medical problems.

I 100% know that I made the right decision.

How are you doing after receiving iv fluids at the hospital???

Sending you hugs and support. :)

<p>Thank you misslisa! It's good to hear about others with my same doctor.</p> <p> </p> <p>Oh sunrise..I'm so sorry. I read on another post that you've had to go back into hospital for hydration. That is what I am struggling with now...getting in enough fluids. Yesterday I made 24 oz and today will be about the same.</p> <p> </p> <p>I have tenderness at my incision site, not very painful, just something to be aware of. The worst for me is the air that is trapped under my breasts. I take a sip sip sip and immediately have to hop up and walk because the liquid feels like it displaces my giant air bubble which is very uncomfortable until I am able to burp the air out. </p> <p> </p> <p>I just drank 3oz of chicken broth and it took me about 30 minutes. 2oz of Water or broth I can get down in about 10 minutes.</p> <p> </p> <p>I couldn't finish an entire popsicle but Jello actually seems to go down pretty good. </p> <p> </p> <p>I remember seeing you briefly! You are so pretty!!</p> <p> </p> <p>I wasn't in any pain or nausea, but man oh man was I doppy. I literally could not keep my eyes open for the four hours of recovery time. When I did force them open I saw double everything. That lasted until the next morning. My pain pills make me very sleepy. My daughter said I was only awake for a total of about 4 hours yesterday. No wonder I couldn't get good Fluid amounts in! </p> <p> </p> <p>Today I haven't had any meds and so have been awake much longer...although I did have two naps I was still awake more than asleep today.</p> <p> </p> <p>But the BIGGEST thing is this......I cannot believe I just had 85% of my stomach removed! Egads. That's a big deal. I feel good about it. I feel like this is so important to do for myself. I feel like VSG is a life vest thrown out to me in this endless sea of diets, failures, shame, binge eating, and future medical problems.</p> <p> </p> <p>I 100% know that I made the right decision.</p> <p> </p> <p>How are you doing after receiving iv fluids at the hospital???</p> <p> </p> <p>Sending you hugs and support. :)</p>

Well, I guess I wasn't dehydrated, I just couldn't pee lol. So I'm stuck with a catheter until Monday...yay lol.

I've noticed any stomach pain comes with some gurgling and gas. I only take one small sip then wait about 10 seconds and repeat. I'm tolerating most everything I've ingested. TMI but I got the worse yeast infection Tuesday night. Never had one before but it is worse than the incision or stomach pains.

And thank you for the compliment, you are so sweet! You looked great for just having a major operation! Lol. I woke up with quite a bit of nausea. But after all that was taken care of, I was fine.

Do you feel much restriction? The only time I know I drank too much or too fast is that my stomach makes a gurgling noise. It's hard to realize that I actually have 85% less of my stomach when only consuming liquids lol. And by any chance do you know what size of boogie Dr. Curry uses?

You know I would love to have your email or phone number so we can communicate a little better :)

Dr. Curry uses a 36f bougie. It's a bit larger than some other doctors. He stated that in his experience a 36f gives strong restriction with a lower chance of leak complications.

Sorry about the yeast infection. Have you researched it? I wonder if it's the large amount of drugs they just pushed through your system?

How are these extra days in the hospital affecting your Real Life? I feel like being at home, in my own bed, working in my own kitchen is healing and comforting. I wanted OUT of that hospital bed as soon as I came around. I am sorry you are still there.

I will PM you my contact info. It would be great to chit-chat about this via phone.

Hang in there lady! A few little bumps on your way towards a Freedom that you've probably never know is going to be well worth it.

Hello! I am being sleeved by Dr. Curry on Sept 9! I have a few questions about surgery and would like to hear from the PROS! What prep did you do before surgery or wish you had done beforehand to help out after you got home? How long before I can go back to work? I have a 9-5 desk job. Does Journey Lite offer support groups or are you on your own after its all said and done?

Sheri~

I just made the decision to have the sleeve done. I haven't been to any drs. yet. What should be my first step? I read all the info on the Christ Hospital website about Dr. Curry and I'm ready to get the ball rolling. Any help would be great. Congratulations on your successful surgeries.

Your first step will be to attend the free informational session. You get some free stuff but other than that it is pretty boring. Lol just call the office or go to the website and RSVP to a time that works for you.