Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op appointment was today...

Tomorrow I start my one-day pre-op liquid diet. I have scheduled myself to work that day (I work 12-hour shifts as a nurse) so hopefully I won't notice it too much. I had Breakfast food for dinner tonight because money is tight, but I really haven't felt a need for a "last meal." I have had plenty of delicious food in my lifetime, actually more than my share, and I have no regrets about "missing" anything.

I had my pre-op appointment with the surgeon today. It went very well, and I wasn't nervous at all, just excited. My anxiety level was pretty high last weekend, but I have settled in to being 95% excited and only 5% nervous. I know this is the right thing for me to do at the right time and I'm ready. I also have tremendous confidence in my surgeon. He has been a surgeon for 26 years, teaches surgeons from around the world, and his office has earned a Bariatric Center of Excellence designation which few facilities in this country have. I have also spoken to at least 10 people who he has done surgery on; they all have nothing but glowing things to say about him. We discussed my gallbladder which is full of stones, and he said he may or may not remove it on Friday, depending on what he sees when he gets in there; he will ultimately make the decision based on what is safest for me, and I have full confidence in him. The last thing he said to me before he walked out of the room was, "Let's get you healthy." :) Then they sent me downstairs for blood work and an EKG.

He gave me my prescriptions I will need post-op (Hydrocodone for pain, Compazine for nausea, and Emeprazole for stomach acid to help my stomach heal), and he also gave me a card I can show at restaurants that will allow me to order off the kid's or senior's menu since I won't be able to eat a "normal" size portion of food anymore. I go in at 6:30 on Friday and my surgery is scheduled for 8:30am. He said when I wake up I will be on oxygen, IV fluids, and have a urinary catheter in place; also I will be on a PCA pump (that's the kind where there is a constant drip of pain meds and you can push the button to get some extra medicine if you need it). I was thankful he said that very rarely is an external drain required. They will have me walk as soon as I am good and awake. I will do lots of walking as it will speed healing and prevent complications. They will also have me start sipping small amounts of liquids as soon as I'm awake.

The next morning the PCA pump goes away and they switch me to oral pain meds. When I can get out of bed by myself the urinary catheter comes out, and when I'm drinking OK my IV comes out and then I can shower. As long as I'm drinking well, my pain is under control, and I have no nausea, I will be discharged from the hospital after lunch.< br />
I will be on Clear Liquids for a week, then full liquids for 2 more weeks (including strained Soups like potato, thinned cream of wheat, applesauce, yogurt, etc.), then pureed foods,(refried Beans, ground meats, pureed veggies, etc.) for another 2 weeks before moving on to "regular" foods. No carbs (bread, pancakes, tortillas, Pasta, etc.) for 6 months as they get "gummy" in your stomach and can cause a blockage.

I'll pack my little suitcase when I get home from work tomorrow; lip balm, Gas-X strips, my own pillow and satin pillowcase, lotion, deodorant, mouthwash, body wipes (not allowed to use deodorant before surgery--ick!) and facial cleansing wipes to help me feel fresh, cellphone and tablet with chargers. I'll bring my own socks and slippers, ear plugs and sleep mask to help me sleep, and a heating pad for pain. Seems like a lot of stuff for just an overnight stay, but I like to be comfortable. :)

My fiance will be with me constantly, and though he still thinks I don't "need" the surgery he has been wonderfully supportive. He will be a big factor in my healing process, as will be my darling little Yorkie, Lyla. I feel as ready as I can possibly be, and excited to start my new life!

Good luck tomorrow. I am sure it will all go well. :)

Good luck to you

This is exactly what we went through with sleeving. You documented it perfect. Good luck.

Good luck!!!!

Best wishes to you! Have a great surgery and fast recovery. All the best!

Thanks everyone! Today is the first day of the rest of my life..... everything changes today!

You have a great attitude keep it up you're going to be well

Thanks to all of you! I'm in pre-op, waiting......I'm in great spirits and just anxious to get to the other side. :)

You have been a wonderful support and I am grateful to have found this place!

Hello RN, I too am a RN. I hope your surgery went well today. You sound like me in many ways. I just got my surgery date todaY for June 9. Get up and move. You mad it to the other side!

Good luck! I'm also a nurse too...nervous about the pre-op diet ten days before and working 12 hour shifts! I'll be following you to see how you are doing. I hope it's a speedy recovery. You can do this...we all can!!

My surgeon doesn't put us on two weeks of liquids. I do see a dietician every month. I have my Protein Shakes and Vitamins all set for post op.I'm scared , but. Have to do it to live. When did you decide in doing this journey?

eel 10x better today. The first 6-8 hours were pretty rough. Not a lot of pain really, just a lot of discomfort and feeling yukky from anesthesia. I couldn't stay awake to drink and walk like I wanted to but didn't sleep well either due to discomfort.

I'm drinking well without stomach pain. Mostly pain in my shoulders from the gas they pump in during surgery, and in the middle of my chest from hernia repair. I didn't know I had a hernia, glad it's fixed.

My blood work looks great this morning, just magnesium a little low so they gave me some in my IV. Minimal blood loss. dressings look great, just a drop or 2 of drainage.

I have no drain thank God, they took of the oxygen, catheter, and IV. Pain is very bearable. I have no hunger but am managing to get my fluids in by just sipping as much as possible.

I cleaned up and brushed my teeth and got my own nightgown on. Took a long walk. Looking forward to getting home this afternoon.

My surgeon doesn't put us on two weeks of liquids. I do see a dietician every month. I have my Protein shakes and Vitamins all set for post op.I'm scared , but. Have to do it to live. When did you decide in doing this journey?

It started about 6 years ago when my doctor told me that bariatric surgery would add 10 years to my life. I did a ton of research, but my insurance at the time wouldn't cover the surgery.

I moved and got a new job a year and a half ago. My new doctor also told me bariatric surgery would add 10 years to my life, so I decided I had to do it. My current insurance covered the surgery with minimal Co-pay, I'm very lucky!

I already knew the surgeon I wanted. We have a Bariatric Center of Excellence, and everything just kind of fell into place. I have zero regrets.

Add me to your friends list if you like, I'd like to keep up on your journey!

Diann