Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stopping birth control pill before surgery- tell me your experiences

the nurse practitioner at my OB office has advised me that both she and the OB want me to stop my Yaz prior to surgery. They had another patient last year who took BCP and had WLS and ended up with a pulmonary embolism post-op.

I am not worried about stopping it, I am more scared of a clot. I'm wondering how LONG it should be stopped to decrease my risk of PE? i'm a cardiac nurse and I have E.R. experience and have seen a few patients come in with a PE and it is very scary. I'm just seeking out other's experiences with stopping and how long, etc.

I see my surgeon next week for my final apt and then I still have about 2 months of nutrition to go before I have my paperwork submitted to insurance, so surgery likely in July. Also, my surgeon requires Lovenox injections post op for 2 wks also.

Obviously I will seek the advice of my surgeon but since I don't see him for a week i'm just more curious than anything to hear about how other docs handled this.

thanks!!

I had to stop at least a month before. I ended a pill pack a month and a half before surgery and just didn't start the next one.

I have a IUD my doc had no problems with it. They only thing is about 3 days after surgery I had a period, which I hand' had in a year. At my one month follow up I told him about it he said it because if hormones being released with fat. He reminded me to just keep walking a mile a day then in two weeks I have no restrictions to exercise.

Edited by Good Molly

I took the mini pill. I didn't take it very long, but if I remember correctly it is a progesterone only pill and it is the estrogen that causes problems. I did not have to stop using it at all. I have since had an IUD placed.

I had the implant put in a few days before my surgery. It feels strange in my arm but hasn't caused any issues. Will be nice bit to have to think about it for three years!!

great- thanks for the replies! I currently have PCOS and that is the reason for the Yaz, there is a component of Spironolactone in that pill that specifically regulates the androgens in gals with PCOS. I'm hopeful that post-op I might be able to skip the pill all together and just do something long term. We have two miracle babies, one through IVF and one through domestic adoption and I don't wish to be pregnant again.

thanks again!

I had to stop my birth control 1 month before surgery and wasn't able to start taking it again til 6 weeks after surgery. It really sucked as I had 2 periods in 5 weeks after surgery which was aweful.

I went off my jolessa on Friday the 11th and am getting sleeved tomorrow the 21st. Had my period and hoping to go back on ASAP. Having 4 periods a year is wonderful! I hope I don't have any problems.

I had the mirena inserted back in December due to issues with my periods. In March I was bleeding heavily and having severe cramping. The morning of my bypass I was in the shower and I could feel it coming out. IT WAS AWFUL. I freaked out because I was convinced that my surg would have been cancelled. Thank goodness they didn't. The issues still aren't resolved and I can't get in to see the obgyn until the end June. I'm really frustrated at this point. They sent a resident to my room while I was in the hospital and she was NO HELP WHATSOEVER. My nurse wanted me to report her, but it won't solve anything. Needless to say, I'm still having issues and can't see the Dr for almost 2 months. I'm glad you all are doing well with this. I don't think I'm equipped to deal with teo major issues at once!