Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I am new here. I have had a band for about 5 years now and have had problems with it the last 2 years after it slipped. I have finally made the decison to have it out and have it converted to the sleeve. Of course my insurance company is making me do the 6 month doctor supervised diet before I can have the surgery done. I didn't have to do this the first time.(different insurance company) I now have United Heath Care. They are very vague on what the doctor needs to turn in at the end of the 6 months and what they expect of me. Does anyone have United Health Care? and can you tell me what I need and what to expect? Yes I am a little OCD and just want to have all my ducks in a row and don't want to get to the end of the 6 month waiting peroid and have it all denied because I didn't do it exactly like the insurance company wanted it. I know how they can be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I too have United Health Care insurance and am a band to sleeve WLS. My policy is thru federal government employee and retirees system so may be a little different than yours. I did not have the 6 month supervised diet requirement but did need to see a psych for approval. Also an orientation meeting and nutritionist consult was required. My BMI was right at 35 and I have a co-morbidity. I was advised to lose no more weight until my last surgeon visit pre-op.

The surgery scheduler/insurance coordinator at your doctor's office usually know what each insurance requires or they can access the information, where our policy paperwork is not so detailed. That's how I got my exact information as the doctor didn't know the specifics of every plan.

Best of luck

I have to do the psych exam too. That one doesn't scare me. I have a co-morbidity also but can not lose more than 20 lbs or that will put me under the BMI for the surgery limits. Crazy isn't it. All because the band moved and wouldnt go back in place. I have United Health insurance and my husband works for the state so yes it is a bit different. It is a shame that when you have a problem with one device they cant just go in without other obstacles and do a revision. I have had major acid reflux and throwing up for almost a year. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get a revision. I just dont want to do this 6 month doctor surpervised diet wrong. I have heard of some insurance companies turning people down because they said they didnt document it properly.

im just curios if your dr unfilled your band since it has slipped?

I have to do the psych exam too. That one doesn't scare me. I have a co-morbidity also but can not lose more than 20 lbs or that will put me under the BMI for the surgery limits. Crazy isn't it. All because the band moved and wouldnt go back in place. I have United Health insurance and my husband works for the state so yes it is a bit different. It is a shame that when you have a problem with one device they cant just go in without other obstacles and do a revision. I have had major acid reflux and throwing up for almost a year. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get a revision. I just dont want to do this 6 month doctor surpervised diet wrong. I have heard of some insurance companies turning people down because they said they didnt document it properly.

Yes, she unfilled to put it back in place. She slowly put some Fluid back in. It slipped again and it would actually slip into and out of a comfortable spot. Finally I am just totally unfilled. Now waiting for a revision to a sleeve.

i was just curious because I suffered from a slipped band too years ago and my surgeon alway took my fill out to see if it would go back into place but it didnt.

Yes, she unfilled to put it back in place. She slowly put some Fluid back in. It slipped again and it would actually slip into and out of a comfortable spot. Finally I am just totally unfilled. Now waiting for a revision to a sleeve.

I have united health care and Empire. Through state/government work.

I had no restrictions except all the regular loops to get this done

Needed note of necessity from GP.

Then go through all the other doctors and shrink too.

I did this all in a months time.

I got my Date and full ins. approval all in that time also.

I started on 3/5/14, and Surgery will be 4/24/14.

I had my band on 10/26/2006

Had slippage issues and finally said enough!

Edited by Roscoe Simmons Jr.

wow...you are fast huh? good for you. ive been struggling with this decision for 2 yrs. good luck!

I have united health care and Empire. Through state/government work.

I had no restrictions except all the regular loops.

Needed note of necessity from GP.

Then go through all the other doctors and shrink too.

I did this all in a months time.

I got my Date and full ins. approval all in that time also.

I started on 3/5/14, and Surgery will be 4/24/14.