Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

Is it true that band to sleevers lose weight slower than regular sleevers? I've heard that some band to sleevers don't lose weight at all. How true is this? I need to lose 60 -70 pounds and if the sleeve doesn't help, I will be disappointed. ..

Did you have a band??

I'm assuming from your profile that you haven't had WLS yet and that you're planning on VSG. Virgin sleeves are known to be less prone to complications than revision sleeves, so that's a positive. Most band to sleeve revisions are as effective as virgin sleeves, but this is really dependent on how much weight was lost with the first surgery. Many revisions are on people who've lost a good deal of weight already and experience a slip or other complication necessitating removal. You wouldn't expect them to lose as much as someone who is revised at a higher weight, would you? That's why you'll see stats like that.

Since the reoperation/removal % is in the 50% range, if I had to chose today! I would choose a sleeve. Since I have extensive damage, I cannot revise.

Yes, I have the band now and is in the approval process for revision surgery. I hope to have surgery as early as June.

I did not have complications with the band; however, I did not lose as much as expected. My doctor recommended revision surgery.

Hi JacobsMommy. Me again. I am 4 and a half weeks post-op and I have lost 26 lbs. You will definitely lose weight the first month for sure because you are consuming liquids mainly and you will be very good at following the diet plan because you will be too scared to do anything else. You will have the runs almost daily. At the very least, it will clear out your bowels and intestines thoroughly. I am on a regular diet now. I don't eat like before, even with the band. I am not hungry anymore. I don't know if this will change for me. I am going to find out though as time goes by. You should look through the patient profile list on this website. Look for people who have lost a lot of weight and ask them specific questions. You can do private messages and I have found that all of the people on here that I have asked questions of, all took the time to respond. It's wonderful. You can see how they dealt with problems and got through it. Stick with the success stories. You have to convince yourself that this will work and you will make it work. I don't think that you need to worry about eating very much because I can't and I am a big guy. I am worried because I can't exercise the way I used to. I retired a few years early because I was developing back problems. I can't do high impact aerobics or walk fast or jog, but I do need to move and walk, and I am, but it takes me a while to get anywhere. Good luck to you.

I had a band and had a revision almost three months ago. I lost 8 pounds while in the hospital and 7 pounds in the last three months. I have a friend who had the same revision surgery as I did and she has lost the same amount of weight in the same amount of time.

I was banded 2005 had my revision 4/9/2014 and is down 15 pounds...i have no appetite and I try to walk 20 min a day everyday... Good luck

I had my revision Feb 25, 2014 and I've lost 47 lbs in those 7 weeks. Feeling great!

I am 4 months out from my band to sleeve revision and have lost 40 lbs since surgery . My doctor said I would lose about 15 lbs a month but I am averaging about 10 per month. He later said revisions lose a little slower possibly because our bodies aren't too shocked by restriction since we've already put it through restriction with the previous surgery. Either way I will take it. At least I'm not gaining anymore

I am about 3 weeks behind you AuntieLala83. My surgery was on march 17th and as of today I am down 33 lbs. Congratulations to us and keep it up.

I had a band and had a revision almost three months ago. I lost 8 pounds while in the hospital and 7 pounds in the last three months. I have a friend who had the same revision surgery as I did and she has lost the same amount of weight in the same amount of time.

I had a band to sleeve revision 3 months also. You sound about like me! I've only lost about 15lbs since January. I just say my doctor today for a 3 month check up and mentioned how I see people on here lose 25lbs in a month and i haven't. He said its because I have already lost the bulk of my weight. I still have about 40-50lbs to go. As long as i'm losing, I'm happy with that!

Well, I'm 11 mos. out from my revision surgery and I can say it has been totally worth it!!!! I'm 15lbs away from my personal goal and 23lbs from my 100% weight off (Dr. Goal). It's said that sleeves can lose 50-70%of total weight needed to lose and I'm already there. I truly think it's about following the plan and embracing the change. Yes, at times the weight coming off has been slow (especially since month 6) but I'm still dropping. I'm happy it's been slow because my skin has toned up better than this 46 y/o gal expected. :-) best of luck to us all!!!

Edited by slikchik10