Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperate: any ppl 5 years out?!

I have full support of eveyone important in my life but my momma does have some lingering concerns. I am scheduled for mid May, btw. She asked if I had spoken to or found anyone on the internets who is 5 + years out from sleeve surgery and I am having a terrible time finding people. Are any of you that far out? Do you know anyone that far out? What is life like? Are they healthy? How is their bloodwork? Iron? B12? What issues have you come across?

I have lost over 80 pounds without surgery before and although I have been trying for years to do that again losing 30 ounds here and 15 there, I'm not sure if I am up to it. And I don't think it will be a longterm fix like a sleeve would be (yes, I know it will still be work). But if after 5 years out from surgery most ppl have gained back a lot of weight, maybe it's not worth it... maybe I should just try again and again to lose it naturally. I know it will always be a struggle to keep the weight off, but will it be less of one with the sleeve longterm?? Thanks so so much for any guidance.

Why don't you spend some time reading here;

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/694-gastric-sleeve-veterans-forum/

It's the Vets Forum here for sleevers. We have a LOT of 3+ year sleevers a couple who are 4+ years and a lot of the 3+ will cross over into their 4th year being sleeved this year. I believe we have a 5+ year (OregonDaisy??) The vet's forum is specifically for people who are a year plus out from surgery so you can't post in there, but you are more than welcome to READ and gain insight, and you are always welcome to PM people with specific questions if you don't see them being addressed.

Regain happens to a lot of people regardless of surgery type, and regardless of how you lose the weight. It's probably the single biggest issue with ANY type of weight loss at all!

Edited by M2G

i just want to say that people who are doing well have most likely moved on from online forums. unless you are struggling, there isnt a whole lot to keep you here more than 5 years.

Sleeve Surgery's only been around (in this form) for about 6 years, sooooo.... Yeah. The question is whether the individual person makes the commitment to continue eating like they have a sleeve, or whether they backslide into the unhealthy habits that got them to surgery in the first place.... You can also look for people who have had Bypass for 5+ years and just assume the absorption issues (Vitamins etcetera) is not as much of an issue.

But that said, you don't know whether you're going to keep the weight off or regain it based on how other people do.... It's based entirely on you!!

Edited by elfnow

I am coming up on 3 years and I agree with what M2G wrote. Here is how I see it, and would respond to your mother.

No, there is no guarantee that I won't regain weight 5 years down the road. I can pretty much tell you that I'm sure I will regain some. I have been maintaining at my goal weight for 2 years now and I know the only reason I would gain would be because of decisions I made to not live a healthy lifestyle. The fault would not lay with the sleeve procedure. So, what is different about that now than life pre-sleeve? Now, I have a tool which gives me the restriction and a constant little reminder of what I need to do. For me, I needed to get over the initial hurdle of being morbidly obese and begin to adopt a healthier relationship with food. The sleeve has allowed me to do this. I could have done another WLS besides VSG, but after researching and soul searching, VSG offered what I was looking for.

So, no, there are no guarantees. But what I do know is my history of dieting and regain. I needed to break the cycle. Another thing I also know is that if I didn't do something, I was on a quick track to death. With morbid obesity, health issues only worsen with one inevitable outcome.

Edited by PdxMan

i just want to say that people who are doing well have most likely moved on from online forums. unless you are struggling, there isnt a whole lot to keep you here more than 5 years.

I was going to say just this. It probably makes sense that you are seeing more posts from people who have recently undergone the surgery because that is when we feel we need the most support. I've seen it in myself as well over the past couple of months kind of forgetting to check in etc...... That in combination that the surgery itself is only a few years old as someone else mentioned.

I have been trying to lose weight on my own since 1976! I just finally got sleeved to break the cycle, because I would not have even been alive in another five years. With my compounding weight-related health issues, my body was shutting down fast. As soon as I heard about the sleeve, I knew that was the answer for me. If you do decide to hold back, look into the Paleo / Primal lifestyle of eating and letting go of fake foods made in factories. Those of us who have had weight loss surgery are typically eating high Protein (60-80 grams a day) and as low carb as we can go. I wish you good luck and good health whatever you decide.

Thanks, all! I did find some "vet" forums, though it is clear (as some of you suggested) that most ppl do not need the forums after 2 or 3 years, so it is harder to find loads of info. I still do think it's the best option for me, but I need to be able to appease the mommy :) thanks again.

Thanks, all! I did find some "vet" forums, though it is clear (as some of you suggested) that most ppl do not need the forums after 2 or 3 years, so it is harder to find loads of info. I still do think it's the best option for me, but I need to be able to appease the mommy :) thanks again.

Hi Kateness. I am a mom myself, as well as a daughter, and both my mother and my children are very supportive, but have their concerns in the beginning asked if my husband. I would suggest this is a good time to take the lead in asserting your decision-making about your health, instead of thinking in terms of appeasing her concerns as much. I know they are well-meaning and she wants you to be safe, so this is a good time for you both to keep doing the research as you are. Perhaps she could go to a pre-op class to hear and learn more firsthand if she's concerned. But remember this is your choice and for me, just like I was the only one who did the eating, I am the one who will have to deal with the consequences and have the surgery if that's what I choose. On my mom side of things, it might help to tell her specific when she comes or not encourage you. I know that sometimes I think I know how best to support my adult daughters, only to find out there was something better I could have been doing. She might appreciate that anyway--tell her what is helpful, and that you appreciate how much she loves you and is concerned for your health. I know it has been set on these forms 1 million times, but significant obesity is far more life-threatening and health-detrimental than the stats for this surgery are indicating. Good luck!

Kate

i recommend that you tell your mom that since there really isnt any way you can know what information she is looking for, it would be better for her to do the research about her own concerns. you arent going to be able to move her past her fears... you can only deal with your own fears.

for your own safety, you should make sure *you* know what the long term success and failure rates are for your surgery center. if they dont keep stats long term, look for another care provider. you dont want to go anywhere they dont do long term follow up.

the highest success rates are among those who have good preparation for surgery... meaning practice with eating and tracking a high Protein diet, psych eval, with counseling as recommended by the psych, and time to create a regular exercise program. if you follow your diet post post op, exercise regularly and deal with your emotional eating issues, you stand a very good chance of being successful in the long term. if you go into the surgery with little insight about why you eat the way you do, little practice eating a healthy high Protein diet and continue eating junk food, no regular exercise program, and no plan for dealing with your emotional issues, you will likely regain eventually. and really honestly, if you any unhealed trauma in your life, you need to get professional help for healing before surgery. my personal experience is, people with unhealed trauma really struggle with moving beyond emotional eating.

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

I think there a couple of people here who are 5 years out, and there are a few at obesity help too. I recommend taking your mom with you to a preop appt. I did that for my mom, and it helped her, even though she was still scared.

Lynda

I agree with what other people have said. A lot of people use this forum for help and support through their weight loss journey and with any struggles with the plan they go through (like me, i'm 6 months out) and any veteran advice is so welcome because they've all been there. But unfortunately life gets in the way and when you're 5+ years out, you may just find yourself not visiting the forum as much if at all. As far as i'm concerned, no news is good news. Personally, if i was 5 years out and slipping and re-gaining, this is the first place i would go for support so the absence of super-vets makes sense. Plus like someone else mentioned, this has only been around for a few years. Don't worry. An overwhelming amount of people would tell you that this surgery was the best decision they've ever made, me included. Down 113 so far!