Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a very sedentary job in front of a computer at work. Park just outside the office, not a walk at all. Has anyone gone back to work in 7-10 days after having their VSG. I am hoping to.

I have a very sedentary job in front of a computer at work. Park just outside the office, not a walk at all. Has anyone gone back to work in 7-10 days after having their VSG. I am hoping to.

I have a very similar job and still took three weeks off. It's getting through those food phases and becoming accustomed to what and how much you can eat that would have messed me up had I gone back sooner. By week three I was sure of my diet and what to take with me. The physical stuff, being tired or running out of fuel never was an issue for me.

I was sleeved on 3/17 and scheduled to go back on 4/1 - my sleeve was ready but I picked up a cold from the kids so I didn't go back until 4/2. I also have a sedentary job - and I have found that being at work has helped with the food thing because of structure of office hours. Being at home and on weekends, I find that lose track of time and forget to eat. I also find that I am not tired or run down - then I am sleeping a lot better since the sleeve.

I have a desk job and was sleeved on a Friday, flew home on Monday and was back at work 1/2 time on Wednesday. The following Monday, I was back full time.

Prior to my surgery, I started on the elliptical almost daily and was able to do 45 minutes. I know the added endurance helped my recovery.

I had my surgery on a Monday and took the rest of the week off. I went back to work full time the next Monday with no problems. I brought my lunch to work with me and my Water and Protein Drinks and did just fine. My job is mostly sedentary but I still have to walk around a 3 story office building. No problem. Just take all of the things you might need in a day. If you get tired or feel sick... go home but I was ready to get back to work after a week. I thrived on the structure and it was easier to drink my fluids. You will do fine.

I too have a desk job that requires no heavy lifting. I was back at work on day 10, could have gone back on day 7 or 8 but I was using my vacation time.

You can plan to be back to work that soon, but just have a fall back plan if there are complications. I had read posts where they went back to work after 3 or 4 days and I was hoping to be up and moving just as fast. But I wasn't in any shape to go back to work on day 4, I was hurting too much.

Edited by joatsaint

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I've been told 2 wks is what I'll have off. I think I'm going to try to get 3. I work as a front end manager of a grocery store. I check, handle money for all of the drawers, bounce around like a mad woman, face shelves and dairy, and usually lift nothing heavier than a 12 pack of soda. It's not the most physical job but it keeps me on my feet 90% of my shift or more. I want to be as capable as possible to do my job when I get back. Most of the days I work, I don't even have the luxury of a break we're too busy. I'm worried I won't have time to do the things I need to do to stay on track.

I went back to work on day 8. I was fine, but the first week back I was VERY tired about halfway through each day. By the beginning of week three postop I felt back to normal for the most part.

I took a month off =) I work at a bank and I'm always moving back and forth so I did not want to get dehydrated and I wanted to be on soft solids at lease when I went back. That worked out fine for me I felt great going back. Everyone is different though.

Surgery on Thursday, drain in for a week so I logged in a couple times from home for the first few days. Half-day on Friday (day 9). Full-time on following Monday. I did crash on Tuesday my 1st week back really early, but with long sleep I recovered quickly. I did have nap attacks my first week.

Thanks everyone! Your information has helped a great deal. I feel so excited about a surgery!!!

I had two weeks off...but recommend 3...3 weeks is perfect! Wish I would have taken the 3

I was in the grocery store 2 days after sleeving. I was in the mall for several hours, 5 days post surgery. I took 1 dose of pain med at home after one night in the hospital. I am 67 years old and the surgery was 10 times easier than what I expected. I could have easily returned to work within a week but I had just retired and am still loving it. Good luck! Treat yourself to some time off.

I too have a very sedentary job. I sit at a desk practically all day. Very minimal walking involved around the office. In a perfect world, I will have surgery on a Friday. I'd be off work for all of the following week. Then back to work full time the week after that. . .HOWEVER, I would be working from home. My supervisor already approved it. Although he thinks I'm having foot surgery. He did approve it for me to work from home the 2nd week after surgery. Then I'd go back to work full -time in the office the 3rd week after surgery.

I know this is a 'sleeve' forum. I, however, am going for RNY-Gastric Bypass

I too have a very sedentary job. I sit at a desk practically all day. Very minimal walking involved around the office. In a perfect world, I will have surgery on a Friday. I'd be off work for all of the following week. Then back to work full time the week after that. . .HOWEVER, I would be working from home. My supervisor already approved it. Although he thinks I'm having foot surgery. He did approve it for me to work from home the 2nd week after surgery. Then I'd go back to work full -time in the office the 3rd week after surgery.

I know this is a 'sleeve' forum. I, however, am going for RNY-Gastric Bypass

I am a call center manager for a pharmacy benefits company. Very sedentary. I am scheduled to be sleeved on May 1st. I am taking 2 weeks off and I am going to work from home two weeks. My doctor believes thst strategy will work fine. Good luck to you!