Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Jersey Sleevers?

Hello Madamsoul, I would have been starting my preop diet tomorrow and having my surgery on 3/4 in Mountainside Hospital in Montclair, NJ. However, found out Friday that my insurance denied the hospital and wants the surgery done at Morristown Memorial. So now I'm meeting with a new surgeon tomorrow and who knows when I will have my sleeve now. Where are you having your surgery?

Hello Madamsoul and Patty8763. I am also from NJ. Still in the early stages of all the consults. Went to my first nutrition class last week. Cardiologist and Psych this week. Surgery scheduled for 5/15. Hopefully approval will not be an issue since I am having the surgery done in the health system that I work for. Surgeon came highly recommended. Going through phases of excitement and nervousness. Looking forward to getting my life back and my weight under control. My sister is having surgery mid March but is having the bypass. I am having the sleeve.

Hello Ladies,

Thanks for responding. My surgery is on March 4th and can't wait! I was banded in 2003 and was having problems - new doctor removed it in November. Can't wait to start the new journey.

Patty 8763 stay strong - I've had a few ups and downs on this journey - if you want it, it will happen.

MoBee good luck with all of your pre-op appointments!

Keep in touch - do both of you live in North Jersey?

I live in Central Jersey. I am both excited and nervous. I could definitely bump the surgery up, but I am trying to work this around my work schedule and my daughter's sporting events.

Hi, I live in central NJ and I am having my sleeve done on 3/14 in Holmdel. My initial consultation was January 23rd. I just got my approval from my insurance yesterday. The strangest thing is that I thought I wouldn't get approved. I have a low bmi (36) and mild sleep apnea, chronic heartburn, and shortness of breath at times. I got my approval before I even finished all of my tests for clearance. I'm kind of in shock now ! I even called my insurance company to make sure I was approved. I wasn't really taking it seriously until I knew it was a sure thing and now I am in a panic!!!

I am having mine done in Holmdel too! My first visit was 2/6. Flying through the consults. Hardest time I had was getting my primary to write a letter of support. Wanted to charge me $300. Did you get the letter of support? Did you have your second consult with NUT?

Hi everyone, I'm from Montclair and having my surgery in Tijuana on April 8. My insurance doesn't cover surgery and there's no way I could afford it in the US in top of the student loans I pay...

Btw Mobee... $300 dollars for a letter! I'd be offended if my doctor told me that... maybe you should look for another pcp because clearly priorities are not right...

I am new here... and reading all the troubles and hoops everyone goes through before getting approval baffles me. I know every Dr is different and every Insurance company has different rules. But why is it so different? It's crazy from what I see. I'm so sorry for all of you guy/girls that have so many problems. .... My "letter" from my PCP was just a note written on a script... This is what is said " The patient has a history of PCOS and a current BMI of 37.33 along with HTN. She would benefit from a gastric bypass for weight loss. " ... My "letter" from my Psychiatrist was a note written on a script ... This is what it said " To whom it may concern : Two.Penguins is competent to give consent for gastric bypass surgery. There is NO psychiatric contraindication for this procedure. " .....

Central Jersey here. March 20th in Princeton hospital with Dr. Brolin. I'm excited and nervous.

Also central jersey. Hunterdon medical center. Dr ballum is great! Took care of all insurance and coached me along all six months. Surgery 3/11! So excited!!!

I am so excited that everyone responded - perhaps we can get some sort of support group together at some point in the future.

So here is my story in a nutshell - can't believe I'm still hanging in, without alcohol or drugs:-)

I was supposed to have the surgery on Jan 15 - I’m in Princeton Medical Center, hooked up to IV, 45 minutes before surgery and my surgeon enters the room (in street clothes) to discuss biopsy results from my endoscopy indicating I may have Barrett's Esophagus and therefore sleeve would make it worse. Surgery was cancelled, I go on meds and last week I had another endoscopy and results were good – no problem. My surgeon wanted to be sure.

So now we are all set for March 4th and…………………………………..SNOW???? I already booked a room at the Crowne Plaza down the block from the hospital because if the janitor has to perform the surgery, it’s happening! Hopefully my significant other will be able to get home on Monday to go with me - otherwise I will drive there and leave my car in hospital parking lot. Now I am on liquid Proteins for the 2nd time – today is day 11 and I want to kill people.

It gets better – Dr. calls me Wednesday night – I had blood test done for pre-admissions and guess what………………………….electrolytes are raised – so now have to drink coconut Water and Gatorade to get levels up, have another blood test on Monday and hope it’s up otherwise anesthesiologist may cancel the surgery!

Who is your surgeon? Mine is Dr. Brolin