Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing weight preop!?! Help!

Ok so im in the process of doing classes preop and will be done with all pre surgery requirements the 23rd of this month! My surgeon is requiring me to lose 27 lbs before I can have surgery and I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START!!.. I have tryed dieting several times only to fail or give up when I dont see results. My issue is volume. I seem to NOT ever get full or satisfied when eating. I find my self always hungry. Any advice on what to do or how to drop this weight. I only have like a month to do it as I am aiming for a surgery date of late februrary. HeLP!!!

Did he give you a plan to follow? That would be the biggest help!!!! Most of us were on some type of plan. It worked, and many lost weight!

Noooo.. they didnt give me any plan!!!. The patient advocate that did all my appointment making just said that im required to lose 27 lbs and cant have surgery unless I get it off :(:(. Ughhhh!!!

Here is what I would do:

Do you have a myfitnesspal account? If not, get one. Set your daily caloric intake to 1200, and your ratios to 35% carbs, 30% Protein, and 35% fat. Start logging EVERYTHING you eat. Weigh or measure EVERYTHING you eat. Focus on high protein foods like meat, fish, eggs, Greek yogurt, lower fat cheese, and cottage cheese. Small amounts of Beans and lentils for Fiber, green veggies. These should be your mainstays. Supplement with small amounts of healthy fats such as nuts, olive oil, and avocados.

The higher protein and fat ratios will help you feel a bit more satisfied. That said, you will undoubtedly feel hungry and unsatisfied at times over the next month. You have to push through that. Yes, you are hungry, but it is okay to be hungry given the goal you are working towards. It won't be forever. Being hungry is unpleasant but it is not an emergency.

Do not bother logging any exercise or "eating back" exercise calories. This will just slow you down. Good luck!

I use to take phentermine and was successful with them until they sent me to the hospital with a heart rate of 247 and I had six nurses hovering over me ripping my shirt off and hooking me up to a machine then phting in an iv and shooting me up with a medicine to stop my heart and another medicine to restart it !!! Noooopee never again!!.. Thanks though lol. Ill try diet

Thank you bufflehead!! Will try that!

Please do not take any diet pills!!!!! There are more answers for you here. Be patient. Some insurances require this weight loss, and some doctors I presume. I would be wringing my hands too, but you want this surgery. Get the Protein shakes incorporated into your lifestyle, get off the carbs and sugars as this will be a way of life for you after surgery. Okay experts. LaGueri needs our help.

I use to take phentermine and was successful with them until they sent me to the hospital with a heart rate of 247 and I had six nurses hovering over me ripping my shirt off and hooking me up to a machine then phting in an iv and shooting me up with a medicine to stop my heart and another medicine to restart it !!! Noooopee never again!!.. Thanks though lol. Ill try diet

Phentermine screwed me up too. 5 yrs later and I'm still dealing with high blood pressure thanks to the "magic pill".

And it is still pretty easy to find it. Many "weight loss clinics " focus on the selling of Phen and administering B12 shots.

Loosing weight prior to your surgery is super important. It reduces the risk of complications during surgery 99%. When loosing 10% of your body weight is lost, your internal organs shrink, allowing the instruments to get in and get the job done. If your organs are too big the Doctor may decide that going in laproscopiclly (sp?) is too risky and instead open you up leaving a huge scar from the bottom of your breast bone to the top of your pubic bone. A girl friend of mine could not manage to loose but 5lbs prior to surgery amid well she has the scar. I am not saying this will happen to you but something to consider. Another thing about loosing the weight prior is surgery is the feeling of accomplishment.

As far as the diet goes, I agree 100% with what has already been said except for the diet pills. The only thing I would add is to drop the caffeine and only drink non caloric, non carbonated, non caffeinated drinks. Propel zero, Water, water with lemon, water with crystal light or other flavor enhancers, sugar free hot coco, milk, tea, broth, ect. Keep a bottle in your hand at all times and sip away the day. This will help you stay a little more satisfied though you are not consuming nearly what you use to.

Lastly, don't beat your self up if you slip. We are all human and its going to happen. Learn from it and move on.

You will do great. I am rooting for you and you are not alone.

Just an FYI, I was sleeved on Dec. 17th and down 28lbs with 60lbs to go to hit goal. :)

myfitnesspal was a godsend for me. I thought I was not eating all that much, but once I had to account for every bite I was amazed at how much I was eating. My NUT put me on 1100 calories, eat Protein first. One of my meals had to be substituted with a bariatric shake. I am not able to do much exercise yet because of physical challenges, but I lost 23 pounds pre-op by complying with the plan.

In America, we are not used to being hungry, but its ok to be hungry for a little bit. Beware of slider foods - foods that you can unconsciously eat large amounts of without thinking...like popcorn, potato chips, pizza, etc. My worst slider was bananas. So, even though I am 3 weeks post-op and they are on my list..I don't dare.

So, good luck. We are here to encourage you to be successful.

I was going to say that since you are going to be on liquid diet at the beginning after surgery, i would recommend using some liquids such as Soups and shakes. I did the "soup" diet many times and it was super easy and no prep. Using the light versions of Progresso Soups. I couldn't tolerate the shakes after surgery 3 1.2 years ago, but since have found EAS shakes that are wonderful! only 110 calories, great taste and 17 grams Protein. I mix with a cup of coffee and chipped ice and "nurse" it for an hour or so. Also, agreed - track, track, track! I would try to stick to 1100-1200 calories a day and no eating after 7pm. Once you get yourself started, you can do it! The hardest part is getting your head wrapped around it! You want the surgery- you can lose the 27 pounds!!!!!!

Thankyou all for your advice and encouragement!!!. I will definatly tryyy!!!