Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded in Januaray 2014

Anyone getting banded this month or has already and wants to share their experience? I go in tomorrow for banding @ 8:30 am! I am excited as well as nervous. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Best wishes for tomorrow!

I was banded on Dec. 18th. It had a great experience, the staff were friendly. I got to the hospital and registered. Then they took me to a room where a couple of nurses got me ready. I had done preop labs and testing the week before so all they did was start my IV, do a pregnancy check, and give me a heparin shot in the belly. None of which were that bad.

After that I got a kiss and hug from the hubby and they took me to a waiting area for the O.R. I met my Nurse Anesthetist (who was awesome) and an RN from the Bariatric Program kept me company. Someone came around and said they were ready for me. The CRNA gave me a shot of Versed and I was high as a kite! lol. Good stuff. They rolled me around to the OR and I was getting sleepy. They had me move over to the table and I felt them put my arms on these arm boards and that was it. I woke up in the post op area.

I generally tend to get sick with narcotics so I was quite a bit nauseated. I stayed there for a while and then went to get a chest xray. Then off to another postop area just for the Bariatric patients. I had discomfort from the gas they pump into your belly. Most people I read about on here did not have the discomfort I did. I didn't really have much incision pain.

I had to drink a couple cups of Water and pee and then they let me go home. It took me about a week to get over the gas pains. It can cause some pretty bad shoulder pain. So take your gas ex! and push yourself to get fluids in.

All in all, it's not too bad. You will do fine. Just don't overdo it. Take it easy.

Congrats on your new band!

I was suppose to get banded tomorrow. But, my surgeon cancelled due to the weather. Its suppose to be super cold here. Schools have been cancelled. I was still going to go though :) Hope it is rescheduled soon!!

Good luck to you tomorrow! What a great step you are taking toward your future!!

Anyone getting banded this month or has already and wants to share their experience? I go in tomorrow for banding @ 8:30 am! I am excited as well as nervous. Any and all advice is appreciated.

I wish you all the best for your surgery. I pray you have a speedy recovery. I am having mine in January as well just have not gotten my date yet. Please keep me posted on your progress.

My doctor only required me to do the clear liquid diet today and then 7 days post op. I almost wish he had required it for a week or so pre- op because I am definitely having carb remorse right now and wondering what I am going to cook after the first few weeks for myself and will I be changing what I feed my hubby and kids as well or just eating differently? I don't know yet and it is kind of freaking me out. I am sure I will be fine after banded but am having all these thoughts right now..

i cook 2 meals at night. one for the hubby and one for me. the only time we share the same meal is if its red meat night. like tonight my husband had a chili cheeseburger with fries and i had poached tilipia and green salad. but i am lucky in that my husband works the pm shift so i only have him 3 nights a week. last night we had steak. and i tolerated it without problems. but it took me forever to eat about 2oz of steak. when you are eating more solid foods ask your doctor if they would have a problem with you eating like whole wheat bread. sara lee has a 45 cal a slice whole wheat bread. i like it in the morning with couple of eggs on it. or for lunch. well good luck. and i pray for a speedy recovery for you

Well banding went fantastic! I am in the hospital overnight mainly because I requested it since I have small kids who like to jump and climb on me. I feel so incredibly full though and I realize that is the gas but I will be very happy when that goes away. Otherwise I have been up walking around and feel okay. The incisions hurt but I think it coupled with the gas that is causing discomfort. I am so glad I did this for me and I am looking forward to a wonderful 2014!!

Best wishes for tomorrow. Please feel free to keep me posted on your progress.

Okay so 2 days post op and I feel pretty good. My doctor found a hiatal hernia while performing the surgery so he fixed that. I am grateful because I imagine this will lessen heartburn and acid reflux substantially. After a few sips of liquid I am FULL! I mean Thanksgiving dinner full and have to get up and walk around. The gas ex strips help a lot. No more pain in my shoulder but still haven't had a BM (sorry TMI) since before surgery. Getting comfortable to sleep is painful though so I am still taking the pain meds for resting time. I intend to return to work on Monday and pray all goes well. It is interesting because last night my hubby and kids had pizza and I looked at it and thought I know that tastes good but I am soooo incredibly full I couldn't even imagine! So it was a lot easier than I thought. I am very happy thus far and know the more I walk and as the weight sheds off I think I will have an easier time being around things that used to rule me. I am looking forward to hearing some post op stories as they come this month. New year new us! Here is to 2014!

4 days post op and feel almost normal. I am still a little sore in the abdomen area when get up and get down. Otherwise I feel pretty good. I thought it would hurt putting jeans on and what not but it doesn't. That's good news. :) So it is harder than I thought to get all the liquids down but I am really trying. If I feel too full I get up and walk around. I keep the gas ex strips with me too and they are helpful. All in all everything is great. I weighed myself today and so far I am down 9 pounds! Woo hoo! Of course it is all Water weight weight from the liquid diet but hey! I will take it :) I return to work on Monday so I stocked up on Soups and different Atkins shakes and slim fast shakes that I am looking forward to trying. I have also been scouring the internet for bariatric friendly recipes so I can start to get an idea of what is out there and what I will cook. So far there is a butternut squash and pear Soup that is good and I saw a recipe for mashed cauliflower I am looking forward to trying. Best of luck to everyone hope I hear some banding stories soon! :)

4 days post op and feel almost normal. I am still a little sore in the abdomen area when get up and get down. Otherwise I feel pretty good. I thought it would hurt putting jeans on and what not but it doesn't. That's good news. :) So it is harder than I thought to get all the liquids down but I am really trying. If I feel too full I get up and walk around. I keep the gas ex strips with me too and they are helpful. All in all everything is great. I weighed myself today and so far I am down 9 pounds! Woo hoo! Of course it is all Water weight weight from the liquid diet but hey! I will take it :) I return to work on Monday so I stocked up on Soups and different Atkins shakes and slim fast shakes that I am looking forward to trying. I have also been scouring the internet for bariatric friendly recipes so I can start to get an idea of what is out there and what I will cook. So far there is a butternut squash and pear Soup that is good and I saw a recipe for mashed cauliflower I am looking forward to trying. Best of luck to everyone hope I hear some banding stories soon! :)

I was banded yesterday and am now taking it easy at home. Feeling much better today than yesterday, although I'm still coughing a lot, but I guess that's normal. i had some pain in my left shoulder from the gas, but nothing too bad - I used a heating pad on it, and that really helped.

I did a 2 week pre-op liquid diet, which the doctor mandated in order to shrink the liver, so I don't think he had to use as much gas.

I'm just trying to decide what to eat now - I'm still on a liquid diet for 7 days after, but I'm not really hungry now. I've had some hot tea and hot vegetable broth so far today (oh, plus a half a Protein shake in the morning).

When does your appetite return?

Congrats on your band! My appetite returned about 2 days ago but you still become full so quickly so I can only have a little bit of whatever I am trying to eat. I most def need more Water than I have been drinking and am really trying but it is hard. And I love water so that isn't the issue. I have been using my kids baby spoons to eat and stop the minute I feel full. I am terrified of vomit so I trying to prevent that mishap.