Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probiotics For Constipation?

All right! I'm trying everything you guys recommended hahaha! I've had half an avocado, the magnesium last night, a probiotic this morning, lots of coffee, and there will be some Miralax within the next 24 hours if needed.

Of course if it works, then I'm doomed because I'll have NO idea what made it work. This is how superstitions are born. I'll have to do all of these things in the exact same order again. Oops.

And me trained as a scientist. Shame on me :P

Thank you all so much for the suggestions.

After all that, staying home tomorrow are you? ;-)

After all that, staying home tomorrow are you? ;-)

Yes :) i do travel Tuesday though, so wish me luck!

I'm having this problem as well. Miralax and stool softeners do nothing for me. My doctor just recommended a probiotic and flax seed oil. I also take Magnesium regularly so I'm going to try doubling up. I would trade diarrhea any day :(

Well as I expected, "something" worked but since I all but threw the kitchen sink at myseld, I'm now clueless as to what worked. I hit the road tomorrow so will try just the Probiotics and see if they do anything for me.

Well as I expected, "something" worked but since I all but threw the kitchen sink at myseld, I'm now clueless as to what worked. I hit the road tomorrow so will try just the probiotics and see if they do anything for me.

What did you try exactly??

<br> What did you try exactly??

Oh honey what did I not try? Probiotics. Magnesium, half an avocado, Fiber gummies, and lots of coffee. :)

But I suspect what worked was the probiotics and the magnesium which took 48 hours to work.

I've been taking a probiotic for well over a month now! I was told after sx that if I was having trouble "poop'n" :P to take it for as long as I needed and could for life If I so chose. It still takes a few days to get things moving but I've been regular ever since. I take a hand full of Vitamins, birth control, and probiotic with my coffee each morning. It's a beautiful thing I tell ya. I ran out for a few days and I totally felt the repercussion on that slight over site! HA

Ok how much magnesium are you guys taking? One night I was desperately searching the internet for solutions (I refuse to take anymore laxatives) and kept coming across magnesium. After hours of reading I decided this was the cure! So I hopped in my car and went to walgreens. I got exactly what I thought I needed, but figured I would ask the pharmacist just to be safe. She said absolutely not that it would help me. :( and said try miralax (been there, done that, only had bloating and cramps) so I left defeated empty handed. :( but I'm not so sure she just wasn't clueless. So, about this magnesium....how much helps? At this point I don't think anything will help.

That's weird that she said that. What dies she think milk of magnesia is??<br><br> I take Philips magnesium caplets and take two at night. I buy a 3 pack from Amazon, but you can get them in target etc too. And that's 1000 mg. they do work for both my husband and me. Sometimes it takes 48 hours.

I have not tried probiotics for my Constipation. I have been seriously backed up since surgery ~4 months ago. If I take Miralax (or the cheaper generic) EVERY day then I stay regular. It takes 3-4 daily doses before you get relief. Stay with it. No cramps, no loose stool, not a bit unpleasant to drink, just pricey to buy. Best of all, my nutritionist just wrote me a prescription and it is now covered by insurance.

My doctor's office recommends Benefiber and not laxatives. I thought probiotics were to be used to help keep the good bacteria in you GI system in balance. I have taken them in the past for this reason, but not to help with Constipation.< /p>

I have friends who swear by Smooth Move Tea. I believe it can be found at Wal-Mart. I have not tried it myself but from what they say, it is not the best tasting stuff but it does the job.

GG -- maybe try Gelatin. My son used to have chronic Constipation, and we'd give him Jello Water to move things along. There are better sources for Gelatin than Jello. We buy the Great Lakes brand from Amazon now (pic below).

post-165959-0-74356500-1386050250_thumb.jpg

Here's a link to a fellow Protein shake drinker who uses gelatin to combat constipation:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154543103&page=1

My doctor's office recommends Benefiber and not laxatives. I thought probiotics were to be used to help keep the good bacteria in you GI system in balance. I have taken them in the past for this reason, but not to help with Constipation.< /p>

I have friends who swear by Smooth Move Tea. I believe it can be found at Wal-Mart. I have not tried it myself but from what they say, it is not the best tasting stuff but it does the job.

I used to use this... great stuff but tons of cramping. . Wouldn't even think of using it now

GG -- maybe try Gelatin. My son used to have chronic Constipation, and we'd give him Jello Water to move things along. There are better sources for gelatin than Jello. We buy the Great Lakes brand from Amazon now (pic below).<br><br> <br><br> Here's a link to a fellow Protein Shake drinker who uses gelatin to combat constipation:<br><br> <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154543103&page=1'>http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154543103&page=1</a>

I'd never heard of using gelatin for it! Double benefit for hair and nails too. Thank you. Worth trying for sure.