Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probiotics For Constipation?

As anyone tried Probiotics and had any success with them? I'm still struggling to get in my Protein most days so there's not much room for veggies. I take Fiber gummies but they're not doing the trick. In a pinch I do some magnesium caplets but wondering if probiotics are working for anyone?

I haven't tried probiotics, but I am taking Colace twice a day and it is helping. I think a significant part of the problem, for me anyway, is lack of fat in my diet.

I haven't tried the probiotic but have family that swear by them. Say they changed their life and started making things much more comfortable. Some people just don't produce enough of what their body needs and they say the Pearl probiotic is the best thing they've added to their diet. I myself use a soluble fiber in my shake daily. Helps make me stay feeling fuller longer over just my shake.

Yes,GG I take a probiotic and it really seems to help, just make sure to keep up your Water intake, it helps to flush everything along.(LOL)

Oi. I take 4t of Benefiber and a cup of blueberries in my shake every morning, eat 3 oz. of grapes a day, take lots of magnesium and an Aloe Lax a few times a week. And still am far from "regular". I usually take Colace once a week and that does the trick. Even running doesn't get me moving. So to speak. :-)

If the probiotics work, lucky lucky Doctor GG!

probiotics, fiber, colace and fluids-- in large amounts. I had a problem before surgery which got worse afterwards--perhaps because of the smaller amount of food. through much effort i have found i need all of the above to stay regular.

I'm having this issue big time and have been since surgery 11 months ago. I recently added two weeks ago a probiotic called VSL #3. It is behind the counter at certain pharmacies and is kept refrigerated (no prescription). It is billions and billions of good bacteria. The Rolls Royce in probiotics from my understanding. Right now I'm taking 5 a day (can take as many as 8) and 3 Colace a day. So far haven't really noticed much improvement.... But regardless, a good probiotic is good for the immune system. An enormous part of our immune system is located in our gut.

Hi there.

When I was 5 days post op and still struggling, I called the NUT. She said to take some Metamucil and go into her office to pick up a probiotic. I got the Metamucil on the way over to her office and got in one dose. Brought the probiotic home and had a shake. Within 30 minutes, it kicked in.

Prior to surgery, I had a good quality probiotic that got things moving as well - so well, I was only able to take 1/8 teaspoon at a time (full dose is 1/4 teaspoon).

Just make sure you get yourself a good quality probiotic.

Good luck!

I took a good ole wal mart laxative. It worked BUT I had tummy cramps and a couple accidents the next day. But I also lost 4 lbs. I usually drink "smooth move" tea with senna. I'm pretty sure it's by celestial seasonings or another big tea maker. I don't recall it being as harsh as the pill form lax. I would drink a cup before bed and go in the morning and that was it. Haven't tried a probiotic yet. I see Activa makes a Greek yogurt. Isn't Activa a probiotic in itself ?

I took a good ole wal mart laxative. It worked BUT I had tummy cramps and a couple accidents the next day. But I also lost 4 lbs. I usually drink "smooth move" tea with senna. I'm pretty sure it's by celestial seasonings or another big tea maker. I don't recall it being as harsh as the pill form lax. I would drink a cup before bed and go in the morning and that was it. Haven't tried a probiotic yet. I see Activa makes a Greek yogurt. Isn't Activa a probiotic in itself ?

Allegedly yes. :) I'm not sure I buy the hype. I did try eating activa cottage cheese. No use. I tried a probiotic this morning, nothing. I have senna and I might just take a few pills of it tonight. Ugh.

I'm a big probiotics believer...more for our immune system than for digestion (your GI track is your largest immune organ). So they will be beneficial even if they aren't obviously helping with your Constipation. Miralax is actually good for constipation and does not cause any cramping.

Try adding some fat to your diet as well. I eat avocado and use olive oil. The activia greek yogurt has too much sugar if you buy the flavored kind. I haven't seen it plain. I like Fage 2% myself.

Colace and Metamucil. The probiotics did not help me!