Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did everyone lose before surgery?

Hi all,

I had to go through a 6 month program with my insurance and didn't really lose anything. Once it was complete I went and had my first round of appointments. My husband is doing this with me, but he is getting the bypass. So it helps that we are both doing this. The NUT counseled us and told us what to do, and we really did well other than a night or two out to dinner during the month of logging. We went back and I had lost 17 lbs. I don't feel that I am really losing as much as I thought I would with the amount that I have changed in my eating habits. Granted I haven't had surgery yet-but I really thought I would lose more-it's been a couple of weeks since we went back to the NUT and I don't think I am down much more than the 17.

I am not having surgery until August 21st because my husband is going first-so I am not sure how much more I can lose between now and then. I am a type 2 diabetic and I am not sure if that is playing a factor or not. Will my weight loss pick up after surgery? I am just wondering if anyone else went through the same thing or not. Thanks! :)

I lost 45 lbs on my 3mo. insurance required pre op diet. Just started eating as if I'd already had the sleeve and it helped get me in the routine/habits.

I had my first appointment with surgeon mid-January and was sleeved May 15th and from my first weigh in to the weigh in before surgery, I had lost 26 pounds.

Hi all,

I had to go through a 6 month program with my insurance and didn't really lose anything. Once it was complete I went and had my first round of appointments. My husband is doing this with me, but he is getting the bypass. So it helps that we are both doing this. The NUT counseled us and told us what to do, and we really did well other than a night or two out to dinner during the month of logging. We went back and I had lost 17 lbs. I don't feel that I am really losing as much as I thought I would with the amount that I have changed in my eating habits. Granted I haven't had surgery yet-but I really thought I would lose more-it's been a couple of weeks since we went back to the NUT and I don't think I am down much more than the 17.

I am not having surgery until August 21st because my husband is going first-so I am not sure how much more I can lose between now and then. I am a type 2 diabetic and I am not sure if that is playing a factor or not. Will my weight loss pick up after surgery? I am just wondering if anyone else went through the same thing or not. Thanks! :)

I had three months insurance-mandated nut visits/supervised weight loss. I was told to maintain or lose but do NOT gain. I lost 50 lbs prior to surgery.

I am a type 2 diabetic as well, I don't believe it had any impact on my weight loss one way or the other. i will tell you my surgeon took me off of metformin immediately after surgery and I haven't had (or needed) any since.

Just started eating as if I'd already had the sleeve and it helped get me in the routine/habits.

Exactly!

It took me a little over a year but I lost 50 lbs, 10 of those on the preop diet. I didn't have to do supervised weight loss but I have a really bad back injury and I had to get some weight off so I wouldn't lose my mobility. I was really not able to walk very well due to the back pain when I was at my highest 315. What a difference 50 pounds makes on the pressure you have on your spine.

I started 7/5/12 with my first NUT appointment I was sleeved 10/10/12 and lost a total of 50 lbs.

Good Luck!

I am pre sleeve and was put on a low carb diet of Protein and non starchy veggies mostly. I am supposed to lose 37 lbs before my surgery on Sept 5th. I've only been on the diet for two weeks but I've lost 15 lbs so far. I am hoping to lose at least 40 lbs though if I can.

I did an 800 calorie a day diet for 3 Months before starting my two week preop... I did 2-3 low carb Protein Shakes and one "lean and green" meal I could also have a boiled egg, a few nuts or half a piece of fruit as a snack. I started on December 1 at 335. I was 297 on March 1st and then lost another 7 pounds during the two week preop diet (which included 3 days of clears). so all together I lost 45 pounds during 3.5 months before surgery.

I had six months supervised diet for insurance. I lost 33 lbs. Surgery is on July 22. I start my two weeks pre-op on July 8. It consists of high Protein, veggies (no starchy), and no grains. Hoping I will lose at least 10 more before the 22nd. I only had to lose 6.5 to meet insurance requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I lost 15 pounds before surgery....I only did the liquid diet required by my doctor

Though I wasn't required, I lost 18 lbs before surgery.

I wasn't required to lose but in my 2 week pre-op diet I lost 30 lbs.

Old post but .....

I put on 30 lbs in the 4 months waiting for surgery .... then lost 30 lbs in the 2 weeks prior to surgery (3 shakes a day).

I started in feb. 2014. I had surgery July 14-- I lost 45.5 pounds HW-360 liquid diet wt- 335 SW- 314.5. I had to the liquid diet for 2 weeks. I'm now just 2 day shy of 16 weeks post op and I weight 254.

Edited by vanessak8