Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after surgery did you stop taking pain meds? Today is post-op day 8 for me, and I decided to skip my 11:00 dose of Roxicet to see how I do without it because I hate the way it makes me feel. So far, so good, but I will have to see how the afternoon goes.

I was on hydrocodone. It made me so sleepy. I took it every 4 hours except during the night for the 1st day and a half after I got home and then had one dose at night the next 2 nights. I'm 9 days post op and haven't had any pain mess since day 4.

I took them for a couple of days when I got home but not as many as were prescribed. Mine was 2 pills every 4 hrs and I took 1 pill twice a day.

Then took a couple more days only when going to bed. So maybe 4 days total.

Everyone is different though. Some have more pain than others.

Good luck!

Everyone is different is exactly right. I never took any of the pain meds after I came off the pain pump. Pain was never an issue for me. Now nausea on the other hand ...

I stopped taking them a day and half after I came home. I hate the way they make you feel and forget about how they mess with going to the bathroom...

Yes I agree with Everyone being different when it comes to the pain meds.... I did not take any once off the IV, I did travel for surgery so I took one before flying just in case sitting in a cramped up seat for so long cause me to have pain. But never needed them otherwise.

I couldn't stand the narcotics, so i switched in the hospital to acetominiphen (Tylenol), and then I only took that for two days after I got home. Pain wasn't an issue for me once the gas pains were taken care of.

I stopped the second I got home from hospital the day after surgery. Although I wouldn't recommend this process. Due to some personal demons I've had in the past I chose not to take the pain meds my advice is if you can't handle the pain skip a dose and try to ween off like that.

Everyone is different. I requested NO pain meds to be given what so ever. I'm a firm believer narcotics slows the recovery process.

Well so far today my pain has not been any different today than it was yesterday when I was taking the meds, so I am just going to stop. I probably could have stopped a few days ago. One of my incisions is really bothering me, the other four I barely feel. Another bonus is that I have stopped itching, so apparently my itching and rash was being caused by the Roxicet.

Everyone is different. I requested NO pain meds to be given what so ever. I'm a firm believer narcotics slows the recovery process.

OMG girl! You are just a freak! What did you do? Bite a bullet or something? My recovery was very easy but it still hurt and I ain't no sissy! :o

Of course, that may be why I like you. :P

OMG girl! You are just a freak! What did you do? Bite a bullet or something? My recovery was very easy but it still hurt and I ain't no sissy! :o

Of course, that may be why I like you. :P

LOL.. I was hell bent on vacationing and wanted to recover quickly. Remarkably I had absolutely NO pain what so ever. I drove the staff nuts wanting to leave

The nurses recommended I take the pain meds while in the hospital saying it helps speed up the recovery so I did. (Not saying if it's true or not) If anything I slept soundly and it forced me to rest. At home I had 3 more and it was mostly to sleep. I was taking hydromorphone since I'm allergic to codeine.

LOL.. I was hell bent on vacationing and wanted to recover quickly. Remarkably I had absolutely NO pain what so ever. I drove the staff nuts wanting to leave

Lordy! Lordy! You are a better woman than I. Oucheroni!

The nurses recommended I take the pain meds while in the hospital saying it helps speed up the recovery so I did. (Not saying if it's true or not) If anything I slept soundly and it forced me to rest. At home I had 3 more and it was mostly to sleep. I was taking hydromorphone since I'm allergic to codeine.

That could be true, but I know they make me want to sleep and if I slept I wasn't walking. Trust me.. I wanted out :D