Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

How will you know if your band has slipped???

Views
Started by Guest_peace4_* , Aug 07, 2003 8:48 PM
24 replies to this topic
24 replies to this topic

Guest_peace4_* Joined: Jan 1970
  • Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted August 7, 2003 - 8:48 PM

How will you know if your band has sliped? I know mine has not but how would you know? Its been ten day since I had my band.
and how many Sutures are tied ususaly to keep it in place. I beleive I have 3 different sutures to hold the band in place. Thanks for your responses in advance.:D

Kiera

LapBandit

Posted August 16, 2003 - 12:15 PM

There is no way to know for sure other than having your doctor do an xray/floroscope of your stomach. That is the only real way to know. But there are some symptoms to watch for - the sudden inability to eat anything without vomiting, strong pain in your gut, blood if you vomit, that is all scary stuff in any event but it can indicate that your band has slipped or you have some other serious stomach problem going on.

Some people experience slippage and have NO symptoms of any kind and keep right on losing weight. If you have no symptoms then you probably have nothing to worry about. My doctor told me that he always has the fills done with the floroscope with the swallow test so that they can see how restricted you are and also so that they can check on the band, the placement of the port, etc. I hope that helps. ;-)

amberose

Intermediate Member

Posted August 17, 2003 - 11:02 AM

When my band slipped, I couldn't even swallow my own saliva without having major pain in my upper chest, and then I would have to force myself to throw up because it was just too painful. I couldn't drink anything at all, and I got seriously dehydrated and had to be on hospital IV's for three days until I couold go back to Mexico and have my band fixed. The thing about my slip though was that it happened only about three days after I had the band put in, so I really didn't know what was going on. I imagine that the longer you have the band in, the easier it would be to tell if it slipped. Because it does take time to get familiar with the strange physical and emotional effects that come with the band, but we get used to them, and it's almost like we've become gifted at reading our bodies because we've gotten used to paying so much attentin to even the slightest discomfort in our stomach's. So I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing about a slip, I think you'd catch on faster than you think you would. :)

Suzy Q

Advanced Member

Posted August 17, 2003 - 4:22 PM

Thanks for the great responces. Very infomative.

Susan

Posted August 22, 2003 - 1:46 PM

Thank you

Posted August 22, 2003 - 1:46 PM

Thank you

Posted August 22, 2003 - 1:48 PM

I Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate your comments, and they have help my understanding more about band slippage.

nikkip

Posted June 1, 2007 - 5:00 AM

Hi There,
My band slipped last month and I just felt I could eat more and there was a funny feeling in my stomach like the food went in then dropped. After a few days I started getting acid reflux and the worst thing I got was coughing all night one night. The food was just coming up in the form of acid.
I insisted on having a flourscopy x ray and it showed the slippage. I had an op to reposition it on 26 may and am on liquids now. I was banded in November. Hope that helps. x

duobinis

Emmy duobinis

Posted August 12, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Hi There,
My band slipped last month and I just felt I could eat more and there was a funny feeling in my stomach like the food went in then dropped. After a few days I started getting acid reflux and the worst thing I got was coughing all night one night. The food was just coming up in the form of acid.
I insisted on having a flourscopy x ray and it showed the slippage. I had an op to reposition it on 26 may and am on liquids now. I was banded in November. Hope that helps. x

HI. I was banded in May of 06 and for the past three weeks have been coughing at night, spitting up crap, and feeling like I have something stick in my throat. Do you think my band has slipped?

nikkip

Posted August 13, 2007 - 2:08 AM

Hi Emmy,
I think you should talk to your consultant or nurse. I live in the uk and I suspect you live in the US so I don't know what the aftercare is like there, but you should be able to speak to someone. Did you follow the liquid diet then the sloppy and eventually the meats etc? We were told no bread and rice for at least three months after our op.
I would get it checked out just to be safe. Hopefully all is well. Good Luck
Nikki x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Oct 25
    JerzyTomato74

Gastric emptying study on Monday, then when I get home I will have a fun-fill...

Show comments (1)
View All Updates