Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panic Attacks after Fill

Does anyone else suffer from panic attacks after a fill? My first fill was in June (.5cc) and seemed to be OK. However, I had my second fill yesterday (1.0cc total 1.5cc) and went into a panic. Could drink the Water ok, but felt like I could not breathe. The panic hit be about 30 minutes after I left my doctors office. Still have the "I can't breathe" feelings. Anyone else?????

Do you have panic attacks at other times? I suffer from panic attacks that I can usually manage with distraction techniques. Do you take medication for a panic disorder? I have had mild panic attacks after some fills but they were generally very short lived. If sipping warm liquids... relaxation and distraction are not making a difference then I guess I would call your surgeon.

I had my first panic attack when I had my first fill, at least that's what I called it....I saw the needles, that's all it took. They cover them now before I walk into the room.

Are you having a panic attack or just nervous and scared? After a fill I wonder if I'm going to do OK, etc. and then sometimes feel apprehensive. I have to talk to myself to calm down and just see how it goes. However, if you find you continue to feel uneasy you might have to get a slight unfill. Being overfilled on me gives me that heavy feeling in my chest and I can't eat or drink much. Sometimes I get that feeling when I eat at a restaurant. I just have to relax and I start to feel better.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Hello everyone! I am new here and just finding my way around. I am considering lapband surgery very soon..

Anyhow.. What I do know is that a natural way to deal with "panic attacks" is to buy Bach Flower "Rescue Remedy" I would buy the spray version and spray 2 squirts before you go in for a fill. It helps calm your nerves and is completely safe. We use it all the time. It helps take you down a few notches and if you still have a panic attack I would use a few squirts afterwards as well... it truly works I get panic attacks .. really bad panic attacks and a few squirts and I can breathe again..

Heres a brief dezcription of it:

"Rescue Remedy combines these five Bach Original Flower Remedies and can be used to help you cope with immediate everyday situations such as going to the dentist, interviews, making a complaint or wedding day nerves. It can also help in times of crisis or trauma such as bereavement, a relationship breakdown or redundancy"

You can buy it at Henry's or wholefoods but it is less expensive if you buy it online! Good luck to you all!

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I have suffered from panic attacks for 20 years. I have managed to get them down to about 3 a year now. I do take xanax when I feel a really big one coming on. Xanax has been a lifesaving drug for me. If it had been around when I first started having panic - I believe my anxiety would have never progressed to my worst stage (agoraphobia).

I think because this was the second fill and it takes my surgeon about 30 minutes and at least 20 sticks to ring my port that was the culprit. I really going to beg him to meet me at the hospital next time and use xray.

I know that a "little panic" is an oxymoron, but that is how I would describe my feeling after my first fill. I have had panic disorder for over 20 years and take a combo of an SSRI and a benzo to control it. I had my first fill one week ago and I did have some anxiety --- panic after the fill. I know it was because it was a different sensation in my chest area that felt weird and made me anxious. I realized that it was from the fill and was able to use self-calming techniques to cope. Next time, however, I will be taking the benzo before the fill to hopefully prevent the panic from coming on.

I had my first fill and thats the only thing I can describe my feeling as is a panic attack which I been having off and on all night. I keep worrying what if I am overfilled, I am also having some little refluxy type stuff when I lay down I think and felt like I was going to throw up, but my husband seems to think its because I am so freeked out about being overfilled. Any ideas?

I just had a fill yesterday, funny to read your description of feeling like you can't breath. I have that feeling......I am not having a panic attack but do wonder how I will eat anything. I can barely pass Water right now but as I remember from last fill, it seems to relax a bit after a few days. I am going to try to rough it through and see what happens.

I also suffer from panic attacks and I'm taking buspar and lexapro. Buspar makes me very sleepy. When I get a panic attack I take ativan and put the pill under my tongue. These medicines made me gain a lot of weight. How did you deal with the surgery itself? did you take any Xanax before you went to the hospital?

Let me know.

I would like to learn some of your distraction techniques.

Can you please explain? I would really appreciate it.

not me, I have only had three fills, but after each one, I felt fine....the last fill was just a small one, and then the last doctors visit I was due for a fill, but since I had lost nine pounds in six weeks, they said I didn't need one..doc said he didn't want me to be to full...maybe yours is to tight..

Panic attacks are not caused by a fill. Try Zoloft. It blocks panic attacks and I've been using it for 14 years. I went off it for a little while and had panic attacks in class. I can't recommend Zoloft enough for panic attacks. I never, never want to have another one.