Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Edmonton Alberta- Sleevers

Anyone know what the qualifications are for this surgery to be covered by healthcare? How about any drs who do this privately?

All you need is your doctors approval, and maybe go through the weight wise clinic moduals. I myself seen Dr. Daveys in Bonnyville, he comes in once a month as a general surgeon and use to work with the weight wise clinic. Didnt have to go through weight wise, just kept a food journal and saw dietician. Within 6 months i had my surgery, wad expecting a 2 yr wait was happily surprised. 8 months out 73lbs down and no complications at all.

All you need is your doctors approval' date=' and maybe go through the weight wise clinic moduals. I myself seen Dr. Daveys in Bonnyville, he comes in once a month as a general surgeon and use to work with the weight wise clinic. Didnt have to go through weight wise, just kept a food journal and saw dietician. Within 6 months i had my surgery, wad expecting a 2 yr wait was happily surprised. 8 months out 73lbs down and no complications at all.[/quote']

Thanks Tania :)

Is there a certain BMI you have to be or do you have to have co-morbidities? Thanks for the heads up on the doc.

Nice to find some local Albertans. I'm aiming to have my sleeve in April, in Mexico, but no date set.

Nice to find some local Albertans. I'm aiming to have my sleeve in April' date=' in Mexico, but no date set.[/quote']

Congrats on making the decision! I had my surgery in Mexico in July. Have you decided on a surgeon?

Nice to find some local Albertans. I'm aiming to have my sleeve in April' date=' in Mexico, but no date set.[/quote']

Congrats on your decision for surgery, I also had mine done in Mexico, don't regret it at all.

Ladybug-who was your surgeon?

Anyone who has had the surgery done in Mexico I would love to know what surgeon/location you used? And if you recommend them of course :)

My family doctor actually has encouraged me to go to Mexico. He knows the wait times are long and I would not get approved, as despite being over weight I have no other health problems by medical standards.

Ladybug-who was your surgeon?

Anyone who has had the surgery done in Mexico I would love to know what surgeon/location you used? And if you recommend them of course :)

My family doctor actually has encouraged me to go to Mexico. He knows the wait times are long and I would not get approved' date=' as despite being over weight I have no other health problems by medical standards.[/quote']

I went October 24,2012, and I used dr Jose Castaneda Cruz. He does his surgery in puerto Vallarta, premier hospital. I highly recommend him and his team they were fantastic. The hospital we had surgery in was amazing top notch, it would put some of the alberta hospitals to shame. The hospital staff amazing as well, you are well taken care of, this hospital is only open to tourists. Are you going through a facilitator or through Medical Tourism?

I went October 24' date='2012, and I used dr Jose Castaneda Cruz. He does his surgery in puerto Vallarta, premier hospital. I highly recommend him and his team they were fantastic. The hospital we had surgery in was amazing top notch, it would put some of the alberta hospitals to shame. The hospital staff amazing as well, you are well taken care of, this hospital is only open to tourists. Are you going through a facilitator or through Medical Tourism? [/quote']

I went to Almanza in Tijuana. It got the job fine, but I'd recommend elsewhere simply due to the clinic.

What did your surgery in Puerto Vallarta cost? It sounds nice! I have a friend who wants to go to a resort town to get the surgery. I'm not recommending my surgery place to her. I'd go with her, so I wouldn't mind if it was in a resort town either :P

I went October 24' date='2012, and I used dr Jose Castaneda Cruz. He does his surgery in puerto Vallarta, premier hospital. I highly recommend him and his team they were fantastic. The hospital we had surgery in was amazing top notch, it would put some of the alberta hospitals to shame. The hospital staff amazing as well, you are well taken care of, this hospital is only open to tourists. Are you going through a facilitator or through medical tourism?[/quote']

I also went to Dr. Castaneda Cruz in PV. He was incredible. I HIGHLY recommend him. Everything was amazing!

I went to Almanza in Tijuana. It got the job fine' date=' but I'd recommend elsewhere simply due to the clinic.

What did your surgery in Puerto Vallarta cost? It sounds nice! I have a friend who wants to go to a resort town to get the surgery. I'm not recommending my surgery place to her. I'd go with her, so I wouldn't mind if it was in a resort town either :P[/quote']

SummersGirl, I went through a facilitator so it was 11500, I know now that you can go through medical tourism and it is 1/2 the cost. I priced it as I have family members that were wondering, and it was 5500 to go to PV, you would have to get your flight and accommodations after out if the hospital. We ended staying at the marrriot after complications at the house we had. We had our surgery at Nuevo Vallarta the hospital has only been open since February 2012, they also have accommodations on top floor of hospital, this hospital is only open to tourists. We were very very well taken care of, I highly recommend this doctor and his team. We also are waiting to see if alberta health care will compensate us for any of it, so far it seems ppl are getting back about 2000, so any helps.

SummersGirl' date=' I went through a facilitator so it was 11500, I know now that you can go through medical tourism and it is 1/2 the cost. I priced it as I have family members that were wondering, and it was 5500 to go to PV, you would have to get your flight and accommodations after out if the hospital. We ended staying at the marrriot after complications at the house we had. We had our surgery at Nuevo Vallarta the hospital has only been open since February 2012, they also have accommodations on top floor of hospital, this hospital is only open to tourists. We were very very well taken care of, I highly recommend this doctor and his team. We also are waiting to see if alberta health care will compensate us for any of it, so far it seems ppl are getting back about 2000, so any helps.[/quote']

What?!?! Alberta health will reimburse for part of it?! Tell me more please :)

And thanks for the other info. I will pass it on. :)

What?!?! Alberta health will reimburse for part of it?! Tell me more please :)

And thanks for the other info. I will pass it on. :)

Well did you get receipts from the hospital or in your case clinic? Now I'm not sure if its different b/c we went to an actual hospital an we were there for 3 nights. We got receipts if the cost of the dr, and all his team, hospital stay, meds, X-ray, blood work, they broke it all down. So I'm not sure if yours would be different if you didn't go to an actual hospital, and be under the care of a physician. When did you have surgery? I haven't gotten anything yet but only sent forms away roughly 2-3 weeks ago and it can take up to 12 to hear anything, most have gotten 1800-2000 back, anything helps with the expense. I think it's sad that we have to go out of country. I would never have been considered ( at least I don't believe I would have been) as I was not considered anything but over weight, I had no health issues. But even though it was a lot if money I wouldn't change it for anything. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask. There were little tips that a friend gave to me before going that helped prepare me for what to expect and even things to take to make certain things easier. Especially with the drains, not sure if you had them or not some do some dont.:))

Well did you get receipts from the hospital or in your case clinic? Now I'm not sure if its different b/c we went to an actual hospital an we were there for 3 nights. We got receipts if the cost of the dr' date=' and all his team, hospital stay, meds, X-ray, blood work, they broke it all down. So I'm not sure if yours would be different if you didn't go to an actual hospital, and be under the care of a physician. When did you have surgery? I haven't gotten anything yet but only sent forms away roughly 2-3 weeks ago and it can take up to 12 to hear anything, most have gotten 1800-2000 back, anything helps with the expense. I think it's sad that we have to go out of country. I would never have been considered ( at least I don't believe I would have been) as I was not considered anything but over weight, I had no health issues. But even though it was a lot if money I wouldn't change it for anything. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask. There were little tips that a friend gave to me before going that helped prepare me for what to expect and even things to take to make certain things easier. Especially with the drains, not sure if you had them or not some do some dont.:))[/quote']

Ladybug your story is similar to mine. I find it crazy that its so tough to get funded here at home... The cost would be lower than the amount of money the health care spends on obesity related illnesses! I bet I will save the amount of this surgery on food and diet fads alone in a year... Totally worth it so far!

Ladybug your story is similar to mine. I find it crazy that its so tough to get funded here at home... The cost would be lower than the amount of money the health care spends on obesity related illnesses! I bet I will save the amount of this surgery on food and diet fads alone in a year... Totally worth it so far!

Yes I agree, as well there are so many health issues that ppl do suffer from due to being over weight, and many of those require medication, which some is funded by the government... If they would open it up here in Canada not to just the very obese, even at a low cost, it would be beneficial to everyone. And with such long waiting lists it gets very discouraging, b/c it takes a lot for some to actually make that decision and then to find you have a long wait, you get discouraged. My wait time in PV was like 2 weeks from the time i made my decision, to the time of surgery, and no journaling or 10% of my weight I had to lose first. I have no regrets with my decision, would do it all again. I am 14 weeks out and down 46lbs, feel so much better about ME, haven't felt like that for a long time????