Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Cardio -vs- weight training

Views
Started by italianmama41, May 03, 2011 6:03 AM
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic with all your friends:

7 replies to this topic

italianmama41

Advanced Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted May 3, 2011 - 6:03 AM

Suggestions needed..............

I have limited time each day (go figure right? like everyone else?????)

My questions are:

1) Can you break your workout apart -- for example do 30 minutes of cardio (walking, etc....) in the AM then do weight lifting/toning in the PM (every other day)?

2) If I find time to do both - what do you start with - for example walking then weights or weights then walking?

I've been attempting to exercise 6-7 days a week and just recently added the strength training to my workout so there is where the confusion set in.

Thanks for all the answers!!

Kimmes

• Current Weight: 244 lbs
  • BMI: 38.2
  • My Blogs
Posted May 3, 2011 - 6:11 AM

I have been working with a personal trainer 3 days a week and here is what we do on those days...

30 minutes of strength training (weights) then 30 minutes cardio.

She/he (I work with a woman 2 days and a guy one day) both said always do weights first - and it I can only get one thing in to make it the weights because you burn more calories and tone more by the strength training. But I think it really depends on your goals -and the most important thing is that you just get to the gym and exercize!

Here is a good short article on this topic... My link

samantha209

Bariatric Guru

Posted May 3, 2011 - 8:29 AM

honestly I think I want to focus on weight/strength training. Me personally I am concerned about the saggy skin...building muscle will help u burn fat, and eating the smaller portions will help u lose weight anyway. But like Kimmes said, i think it depends on what your ultimate goal is.

coops

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2010
  • Starting Weight: 238 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 83 lbs
  • Current Weight: 155 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 139 lbs
  • BMI: 28.3
Posted May 3, 2011 - 12:09 PM

I was told to do resisitant trainig before aerobic activity as it helps warm the body up and then you will burn more fat. But as above, any kind of exercise can only be beneficial.
I, personally stick to the stuff I enjoy ... otherwise I get bored and end up do little!

Enjoy whatever you choose!! =]

BlackBerryJuice

• Surgery Date: Aug 2010
  • Starting Weight: 208 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 67 lbs
  • Current Weight: 141 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 145 lbs
  • BMI: 23.5
Posted May 3, 2011 - 12:18 PM

I agree with the above - weights first. Now, if you were training for a race, then I'd say do your cardio first, while you have 100% of your energy, but just for day-to-day workouts, it's best to start with weights - after a little warm-up, of course. Also, I find that as you progress and your cardio becomes more challenging and your weights become heavier, it's best to just have weights-only days and cardio-only days. On my weights days, I'll run on the treadmill or do the elliptical for 10-20 mins, then hit the weights. On cardio days, I'll go for a cross-country run that lasts about 30-40 minutes - it leaves me completely beat after. I'm just too exhausted to do both in one workout and still give it 100%.

JimmyGotSLEEVED

Junior Guru

• Surgeon: Piotr Gorecki
  • Surgery Date: May 2012
  • Starting Weight: 329 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 29 lbs
  • Current Weight: 300 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 230 lbs
  • BMI: 40.7
  • My Blogs
Posted May 5, 2011 - 2:20 AM

i worked at nysc for years and i can honestly tell you that weight train SHOULD always go first. you get way better results in weight loss, strength, endurance, and energy level

Posted May 9, 2011 - 1:27 PM

Wow so glad I read this...did not realize how important the weights are and I am going to strive to do more weights. I always opt for cardio when,I don't have enough time for both...not now I am focusing more on the weights...thanks for the info

**LaSaJaTa**

Posted May 10, 2011 - 6:56 PM

I'm 10mos out, and at goal for the last 30days. I did much reading and research before I decided to start weight training at 12 weeks. I do no cardio. Cardio burns calories, and early on in the process, you cannot afford to loose calories as you're getting so little into your body. Building lean muscle mass burns FAT, which was my goal. Also, as I built muscle and lost the fat, I started seeing results and tone in my body. Working weights to near muscle failure built muscle quickley for me. This worked best for me.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Apr 22
    ScarlettL

I'm still so Oooo tired! is this normal?

Show comments (3)
View All Updates