Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Vsg leak

Views
Started by KimCappellaro, Mar 06, 2011 4:59 PM
19 replies to this topic
19 replies to this topic

KimCappellaro

Novice

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted March 6, 2011 - 4:59 PM

I have had complications from my vsg with the biggest one being a leak. Has anyone else had a leak and their doctor had them npo for 3 months? All water, pills etc go thru the feeding tube and I hook my iv up and feed all night.
Surgery is not an option right now just curious if anyone else had this situation. My 2 nd abscess had cleared just waiting for my leak to heal. It is so hard and depressing not being able to eat and drink by mouth but I thank God I am still alive.

Billy363627

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Current Weight: 378 lbs
  • BMI: 52.7
Posted March 6, 2011 - 5:24 PM

I have had complications from my vsg with the biggest one being a leak. Has anyone else had a leak and their doctor had them npo for 3 months? All water, pills etc go thru the feeding tube and I hook my iv up and feed all night.
Surgery is not an option right now just curious if anyone else had this situation. My 2 nd abscess had cleared just waiting for my leak to heal. It is so hard and depressing not being able to eat and drink by mouth but I thank God I am still alive.

You need to talk with Tiffkins she had a bad leak..She is very nice and awesome person to talk with. good luck and I am really sorry about your leak..

ATLGirl

Guru in Training

• My Blogs
Posted March 6, 2011 - 5:27 PM

Sorry you having issues. Sending healing waves your way.

Becca

Bariatric Master

• Surgeon: Younan Nowzaradan
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 286
  • Weight Lost: 138
  • Current Weight: 148
  • Goal Weight: 143
  • BMI: 24.6
Posted March 6, 2011 - 5:30 PM

So sorry about your leak. I hope you recover quickly. We are here for you anytime you need anything.

cwalker

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted March 6, 2011 - 6:11 PM

There are only a couple of people on here that have had leaks and Tiffykins is and has been here for ll of us. Stay focused on healing,sending you prayers!

KimCappellaro

Novice

Posted March 6, 2011 - 7:37 PM

She replied to me already. Everyone seems so sweet it is nice to have support!

M2G

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Michael Snyder
  • Surgery Date: Oct 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
Posted March 6, 2011 - 10:15 PM

I am sorry about your leak, I hope that you are feeling much better soon!

Oregondaisy

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Alberto Aceves
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 237
  • Weight Lost: 102
  • Current Weight: 135
  • Goal Weight: 135
  • BMI: 24.7
  • My Blogs
Posted March 6, 2011 - 11:11 PM

I am really sorry to hear about your leak. That has to be very difficult not being able to eat or drink.

Hang in there! You're getting skinnier and skinner by the minute and it will be so worth it in the end.

sadie_mo

Expert Member

Posted March 7, 2011 - 12:04 AM

How long after surgery was it discovered? How did you know?

MommyTawnie

Expert Member

Posted March 7, 2011 - 12:48 AM

That's my question how long after surgery did it take to discover the leak? I just got over 14 days in the hospital because I had a leak with absess that was pushing on my diaphragm. I however also had pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung. I was put on TPN by Picc Line for 9 days I came home with the Picc Line just incase I had to go back. My leak developed at a month which is something my surgeon said he has never heard of happening before. It gets better, and don't be surprised if when you are allowed back on food and liquids that you feel like you did the first week after surgery. I didn't feel like eating anything and I was so scared to put anything in my mouth because I was afraid I would cause the leak to come back. Be thankful the doctors caught yours and it didn't go untreated. I was in pain for a week before I started running fever. After 2 trips to 2 different hospitals I was finally treated.. I thought I was going to die the first couple of days.. It was horrible, but looking at the past month to 2 months I don't regret anything.. I am happy with my choice.. I am finally able to eat around 2-3 ounces and I am finally feeling better..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics