Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Orange Juice after surgery

Views
Started by sarahh1828, Feb 14, 2011 12:29 AM
13 replies to this topic
13 replies to this topic

sarahh1828

Expert Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted February 14, 2011 - 12:29 AM

The nutritionist commented on my food log that orange juice will not be well tolerated after surgery. Is this true. I currently drink my protein with 4 oz oj, 2oz water.
How well did you tolerate orange juice, and how soon were you allowed to drink it?

SarahS

Guru in Training

Posted February 14, 2011 - 2:03 AM

I don't see my NUT anymore. I am a little over 4 months post-op. I recenlty added about 8oz of OJ every other day with my Miralax and have had no issues with the OJ. I think your NUT might not want you to drink it because it is just added liquid calories, not sure though. From about 2 months post-op, I really, really craved it for some reason. I never really drank OJ much before surgery. But, everything I crave now, I LOVE! So, I get the Tropicana 50... its 50 calories per 8oz serving, which is better than most. I would check with your NUT why she doesn't want you having it.

Dawn

Aspiring Evangelist

Posted February 14, 2011 - 8:00 AM

OJ can cause more acid in your stomach that we don't want!!! I don't drink it a lot but when I was about 5-6 weeks out I got REALLY sick over Christmas with a nasty cold so I was drinking OJ like crazy and I was fine!

feedyoureye

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Mohamed Ali
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Weight Lost: 89 lbs
  • BMI: 25.1
  • My Blogs
Posted February 14, 2011 - 8:55 AM

I think its the acid. I cant even eat any tomato products for 8 weeks....Posted Image

Rootman

Bariatric Hero

• Surgery Date: Dec 2010
  • Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Starting Weight: 375 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 170 lbs
  • Current Weight: 205 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 190 lbs
  • BMI: 27.8
Posted February 14, 2011 - 9:06 AM

As others have brought up above it is pretty acid AND contains a LOT of sugar. It is quite a few calories for the nutritional benefit. If you tolerate it, it should be OK in moderation - it might not be the WISEST choice of drinks though given the sugar and caloric content.

brazcan

Expert Member

• Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Current Weight: 138 lbs
  • BMI: 25.2
Posted February 14, 2011 - 10:39 AM

I never tolerated well orange juice unless very diluted. The same with other very acidic fruits. I will not try for a while and in the future, if I need to have it, I will continue to dilute. i get my Vit C from Ester-C daily. ;)

MovinForward

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted February 14, 2011 - 11:26 AM

I havent had orange juice yet, and now I think It will be a while lol I have tomato and v-8 though no problem

pcos_chick

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Kevan Mann
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Starting Weight: 342
  • Weight Lost: 146
  • Current Weight: 196
  • Goal Weight: 180
  • BMI: 28.9
  • My Blogs
Posted February 14, 2011 - 3:52 PM

Can you have the crystal light classic orange? I know its not juice but its alot less calories and acid.

sarahh1828

Expert Member

Posted February 15, 2011 - 2:46 AM

Can you have the crystal light classic orange? I know its not juice but its alot less calories and acid.

I didn't even know they had a classic orange. I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store. thanks!!

faithstar

Posted February 15, 2011 - 6:45 AM

I had two glasses of orange juice the other day but I have to say I don't often drink it at all. I presume it is the high quantity of acid that can cause tummy upset. I didn't have any issues with my orange juice, after two glasses and I have bad acid reflux.
Oh! and I didn't realise how much sugar and carbs are hidden in orange juice! Actually in manufactured smoothies and juices there can be a lot of hidden sugars and it's best to limit these. I've started to swap my juices for pure water as I'm fine with it and soya milk is amazingly low in carbs and higher in protein so this is a bonus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates