Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

protein shakes

Views
Started by sadie_mo, Jan 18, 2011 5:23 PM
16 replies to this topic
16 replies to this topic

sadie_mo

Expert Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted January 18, 2011 - 5:23 PM

Ok I start my pre-op diet in 20 days and I have never drank a protein shake in my entire life now I have drink 2 a day for a week!! Where do I get them at ? Are they like slimfast ? What are the flavors and the cost ? I also have to do 3 days of clear liquids there at the end which also makes me nervous. I have no idea where to start pleeeeeease give my some guidance?????

seniorsleever

Expert Member

Posted January 18, 2011 - 5:35 PM

I get mine from GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. The grocery store type aren't all that good. Try to get individual packets rather than getting a large tub, so you can find one you like. In my opinion the pre-mixed shakes are nasty. I much prefer the taste of powders. Get a blender bottle or a plunge hand mixer (I use this when I am at home.) My favorite is GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 in chocolate or vanilla. You can add other flavors to the vanilla if you want. But try to find one YOU like, because there's no reason to drink one that tastes nasty. My doctor does not allow Slimfast, Muscle Milk, Boost, Carnation, or Myoplex. I hope that helps!

Ocean Eyes

Advanced Member

Posted January 18, 2011 - 5:43 PM

I started my 2 week pre-op diet last Wednesday. I am using Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Isolate in chocolate from the Vitamin Shoppe. It was 24g protein, 1g fat, and 3g carbohydrates per serving. It only costs $24 for a 2lb container. I think it tastes fine. In the mornings, I like to mix it with fatfree milk and a teaspoon of instant decaf coffee to get a cafe mocha flavored shake. There are so many out there it was a little overwhelming. Luckily, the guy working at the Vitamin Shoppe was very helpful and saved me about $20 by steering me away from the really expensive labels.

sadie_mo

Expert Member

Posted January 18, 2011 - 7:57 PM

I started my 2 week pre-op diet last Wednesday. I am using Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Isolate in chocolate from the Vitamin Shoppe. It was 24g protein, 1g fat, and 3g carbohydrates per serving. It only costs $24 for a 2lb container. I think it tastes fine. In the mornings, I like to mix it with fatfree milk and a teaspoon of instant decaf coffee to get a cafe mocha flavored shake. There are so many out there it was a little overwhelming. Luckily, the guy

working at the Vitamin Shoppe was very helpful and saved
me about $20 by steering me away from the really
expensive labels.

I will get some of of both of these and try them
This weekend . I must say I also love love love the idea of mixing with coffee I think that would be very yummy

k8bwalsh

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:13 PM

Ummm - yum! I like the idea of mixing with coffee, too!! Thanks for the idea!!!!! I start my pre-op diet Friday, but am allowed to have sugar-free carnation before-hand, which I've already gotten myself used to. But after surgery, once past the clear liquid phase - I have to drink the powerful stuff - so I bought at GNC. The guy steered me towards Soy, which I'm not sure if I'm crazy about. I haven't have the nerve to try it. But he did assure me that if I absolutely hate it, that it can be returned after it's opened. And he also said to give it a few tries, they will take it back as long as it's not empty. So if you go to GNC, keep the receipt. I think I'll run out tomorrow and buy some instant decaf coffee b/c I think that's my incentive to try it! :)

sadie_mo

Expert Member

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:33 PM

Yea they told me the diet and my pre-op is as follows : a protein shake for breakfast and lunch then a salad with a protein like eggs or meat with light dressing if need be a small amount. Then the final 3 days are just clear liquids only so I am trying to get into the grove

Becca

Bariatric Master

• Surgeon: Younan Nowzaradan
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 286
  • Weight Lost: 138
  • Current Weight: 148
  • Goal Weight: 143
  • BMI: 24.6
Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:35 PM

I have a hard time with the taste of protein shakes, but I do really like the Premiere brand. They sell it at Costco and Sams. I love the already made ones. They taste just like chocolate milk and only have 5 carbs/ 30 grams of protein. You can buy a tub of powder, too.

SFOTraveler

Expert Member

• My Blogs
Posted January 21, 2011 - 12:05 AM

I have a hard time with the taste of protein shakes, but I do really like the Premiere brand. They sell it at Costco and Sams. I love the already made ones. They taste just like chocolate milk and only have 5 carbs/ 30 grams of protein. You can buy a tub of powder, too.

I am going to have to check this kind out! That is a REALLY good carb/protein ratio!

Eureka-C

Bariatric Guru

• Surgery Date: Nov 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 8 inches
  • Starting Weight: 299 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 89 lbs
  • Current Weight: 210 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 31.9
Posted January 21, 2011 - 9:43 AM

I would suggest you check out the Internet for samples. There are many many many of them I did not like. I finally settled on syntax twisted cherry mixed with koolaide or crystal light lemonade. I had one vanilla one I liked before surgery, but after surgery, I drank so slow that it would turn into this thick sludge that completely gagged me.

Redcobra

Posted January 21, 2011 - 10:45 AM

Muscle Milk Lite Chocolate.
Some Grocery stores, definitely GNC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics