Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest Weight Loss Surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for Weight Loss Surgery patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your Weight Loss Surgery decisions as well as providing you the Weight Loss Surgery support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive BariatricPal member features!

Join our 250K+ WLS member community. It's free!!!

Time Off Work

Views
Started by stephany48463, Jul 17, 2010 7:16 AM
14 replies to this topic
14 replies to this topic

stephany48463

Advanced Member

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted July 17, 2010 - 7:16 AM

How long did your surgeons recomend you take off from work? I have a fairly physical job. It should be covered by short term disabilty as long as my insurance approves it so I dont have to worry about rushing back. just wonder what the norm is?

lamsunshine

Guru in Training

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted July 17, 2010 - 7:36 AM

Good Question, I was wondering the same thing myself. I have a desk job, and have taken off a week so far, but told my employer I may need more. I may be able to do work from home, but don't know if I will be up to it or not. So I'm anxious to read the replies to this question. Thanks for asking it, I have so many questions running through my mind I don't know where to start. lol

aprilbell77

Advanced Member

Posted July 17, 2010 - 8:12 AM

I have a desk job. I scheduled one week off. I went back Monday on week 2, and decided to take the rest of that week off as well, because I had no energy. I returned to work for good on Monday of week 3.

texaschick

Expert Member

• My Blogs
Posted July 17, 2010 - 8:23 AM

I am fortunate to be able to work from home when I am not on the road, so I was working a few hours a day by Day 3. I was working pretty much full time from home by week 2 and went back out on the road after 3 weeks at home.

kbl

• My Blogs
Posted July 17, 2010 - 8:32 AM

i am a icu nurse, lots of lifting and turning patients, i am planning on taking five weeks off.

BeenThereWasThat

Posted July 17, 2010 - 2:44 PM

My WLC wanted me to take 4 weeks off and std approved it. I am trying to use the time to really heal and take care of myself.

chellebelle0880

Advanced Member

Posted July 17, 2010 - 7:17 PM

i work a physical job, and took 4 weeks off, my friend had it done, she was a mail carrier and took off 4 weeks too. right before i went back i realized i was bored, so 4 weeks was right on for me.

SParkle

Bariatric Evangelist

• My Blogs
Posted July 18, 2010 - 3:22 AM

I don't work on a daily basis but felt 'normal' after 2 weeks....If you're doing heavy physical stuff then I'd say take longer as the important thing is you don't risk getting a leak which would mean you'd need more time off anyway.

stephany48463

Advanced Member

Posted July 18, 2010 - 7:01 AM

thanks guys! guess I'll just do whatever the surgeon recommends!

stcyt

Bariatric Evangelist

• Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Starting Weight: 195 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 195 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 135 lbs
  • BMI: 30.5
Posted July 18, 2010 - 11:28 AM

I took 2 weeks off and, for me, it was too much. I was just sitting at home obsessing about healing and getting in water and protein. It would have been better for my head if I just mixed some clear protein drinks and kept them with me at work.
That being said... I have a desk job and don't have to lift anything more than a pencil. It was about 4 weeks before I had any real energy or felt like I could do something like deliver mail all day. If half days are an option that might be a good starting point.
good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Dec 19
    Dea

low blood sugar

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      Dec 19
    ms.mitchell39

For the people who have already had your operation what have been the most fu...

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      Dec 19
    roundisashape

Went bowling as a team building activity at work yesterday. Felt good to be...

Show comments (2)
View All Updates