Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missionary hoping to be sleeved soon!

Hey Everybody! I'm so happy I found this message forum.

I am 27 yrs. old. I'm originally from Tennessee, but my home is now in Nicaragua where I work as a missionary. You can check out my website if you like: http://www.missionariestonicaragua.org.

I have been living here the last 4 years. Got married here, my husband is from Nicaragua and I have a 2 year old daughter. I have been overweight my entire life. I have hypothyroidism and I have been on diets since I was 10 yrs. old and up until the time I moved here. I never was successful. I would go on a diet with my parents and they both would lose, but I wouldn't lose a pound. It was so discouraging.

When I moved here to Nicaragua I kind of quit trying. It was so hard, especially here. It's not like the states where we have so many dieting resources and foods. Here it's so complicated. Plus my husband and I are in charge of the entire foundation here. Free school for over 300 children, 30 feeding centers, working with pastors, children's home (my husband and I are responsible for 5 orphan children that live with us. Hopefully we will have more children soon). Needless to say we stay pretty busy, so when I eat it's just whatever I can get. I don't have time to cook a special meal for me.

Probably about 2 months ago I heard about the Lap Band and was pretty much sold on it. The problem was that they do not offer it here in Nicaragua and the cheapest place would be Costa Rica which is about a 12 hr. drive from us. Finally realized that it is just too far for follow up care, plus started to research it and realized about all of the problems with it and so many people eventually having the sleeve anyways. So about a week ago I went to a doctor here to talk about the sleeve. Of course I don't have insurance, so I am self-pay. Plus I do not receive any kind of salary for our work here. I found a doctor here at a really good hospital that speaks English and I found out that I can have the sleeve done for $4,500 - $5,500. I've been praying out how I can get it done and my Mom told me a few days ago that she would pay for it!

I'm so excited! I'm so tired of being overweight. This doctor told me that he could do the surgery on Oct. 20th! Please be praying for me that God would direct me. I really want to be sure that this is His will for me.

Also I would love to keep in contact with different ones of you that are going through this process as well. God Bless!

weight.png

First off- Welcome to the boards Charitymarroquin!

And I have to commend you on the wonderful things you are doing!! There's a special place in heaven for people like you!!

I think you will be very happy with your decision to be sleeved and not banded- I never even thought the band was an option for me- #1 I had too much weight to lose #2 didn't want a foreign object in me#3 didn't want "fills" #4 wanted a PERMANENT option.#5 did alot of research and found more complaints with the band than any of the other surgeries.

The price you will be paying is EXCELLENT!! and it's wonderful that your mother will help you in this journey!

At the end of your post- your stated that you have a date- but it sounds like you really havn't made up your mind?

Only you can decide what you need to do- I hope you find the answer you are looking for!

Keep us posted and again- welcome!

Hello and welcome to our forums. We are so, so happy to have you join us. You will find a great deal of support and friendship here.

I commend you for the wonderful work you and your husband are doing. You are obviously two very, very special people. And, you obviously have a very special, loving mother for her to be willing to help you get this surgery and improve your health.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask. There is always someone here who will be able to help you. Best of luck in all of your endeavors!

Welcome to our forum family Charity - we are happy to have you join us. That is awesome about being able to have the surgery right where you live for such an extraordinary price and that your mom is able to help you obtain your goal of living a healthier life for yourself, your husband and your darling daughter. And for all those you are helping in God's work. Keep us posted on your journey - trust that God will not take you anywhere that He won't be right beside you.

I think the sleeve is going to work out great for the busy lifestyle you have! Keep us updated and don't forget to tell us your surgery date when you get it!

Thanks guys for all your replies! I went to the hospital to have an Endoscopy, one of the pre-op requirements for my doctor. I was terrified because I had to be put to sleep and then a camera put down into my stomach. I would say that being put to sleep has been my greatest fear about the surgery, so for me this was about as bad as the actually surgery. But I did it! I don't even remember falling asleep and when I woke up I was thinking they hadn't even done the procedure yet... lol.. So now that I made it through that I am now ready for the actual surgery. I talked to my doctor and he can do it next Tuesday or Friday, so I will let you guys know for sure when I know what date I am getting it done. I was supposed to be flying to a very remote area of Nicaragua to start a children's home on Tuesday, but I don't know if that is going to happen yet. If I don't go I will get the surgery before I leave or after I get back. God Bless!

Hi Charity, How are you since your surgery? We are missionaries, too, so I was excited to "find" you! Best wishes for a great journey!

Hi Charity, How are you since your surgery? We are missionaries, too, so I was excited to "find" you! Best wishes for a great journey!

Hey! I'm doing great! It's been a little over a month since my surgery and I have lost 25lbs! I'm so happy I got the sleeve. I haven't had any problems at all.

That's great you are missionaries too! Are you based in Costa Rica? If so, you'll have to come visit us in Nicaragua. We're not that far.

Also you can check out our website: http://www.missionariestonicaragua.org

The Foundation we work with is: New Hope Children's Foundation

God Bless!

I know this was years ago, but I am into missions and I was wondering about how it is for you now. I'm pre-op and I'm ready to be able to do what I'm supposed to be doing with no restrictions!