Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Hair Loss experiences?

Views
Started by lizzy25, Sep 25, 2009 12:06 AM
24 replies to this topic
24 replies to this topic

lizzy25

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted September 25, 2009 - 12:06 AM

Hey guys!

I'm considering the VSG, and I'm very concerned about hair loss. I have very thin hair already, and if it gets any thinner I will need a wig. I've seen that many people report hair loss as a side-effect of VSG, but I'm wondering what your experiences are with it? How much hair did you lose? When did you start losing hair? Was the hair loss long-lasting, or has the hair grown back?

Thanks for your time!!
-Lizzy

MacMadame

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Paul Cirangle
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2008
  • Starting Weight: 223 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 110 lbs
  • Current Weight: 113 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 115 lbs
  • BMI: 21.3
  • My Blogs
Posted September 25, 2009 - 12:14 PM

Hair loss is a side-effect of all WLS, not just VSG.

Mine started very early, probably due to hormones, and then around 7-8 months out, it slowed way down and now, at 12 months out, it's a trickle and some days I don't lose any in the shower.

I have very thin hair and no one but me noticed my hair loss. Well, my hair dresser finally noticed at my last haircut, but no one else. Thank goodness!

Tiffykins

Believes in the Sleeve

• My Blogs
Posted September 25, 2009 - 2:23 PM

Hairloss can and does happen with all of the surgeries not just VSG. I just recently noticed that I ma losing more hair than I normally do. I'm almost months post op, and it's coming out pretty severely, but it'll grow back.

DownInSocal

• My Blogs
Posted September 25, 2009 - 2:49 PM

I am 5 weeks out and have lost some hair. I actually lost more hair before surgery due to stressing myself out about surgery! Seriously.

At least for me right now you can't tell. Only I know because I can see a little more in the brush and in the shower drain.

Not to discount your fear......hair loss was/is the least of my worries. I so wanted to be healthy and skinny I could have gone bald for awhile and it would have been fine. I have seen very few posts on boards about severe hair loss.

GONNALOSEWEIGHT

Posted September 26, 2009 - 8:26 PM

I agree with Tiffy - hair loss is a side effect of all surgeries, generally it is a side effect of the anesthesia and I believe it can last up to 8 months post surgery. I don't think it is so severe that others notice it (other than our hair dressers).

Oregondaisy

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Alberto Aceves
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2009
  • Starting Weight: 237 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 102 lbs
  • Current Weight: 135 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 135 lbs
  • BMI: 24.7
  • My Blogs
Posted September 26, 2009 - 11:06 PM

With band surgery, mine started out at 4 months and didn't quit until I was 1 yr. post op. I am hoping this time it will stop before that. Mine is coming out quite badly right now.

*Lib*

Posted September 28, 2009 - 4:18 AM

I'd rather lose hair than no weight. I am 5 months out, a few weeks ago my hair started to thin, and it has stopped now. Its not even noticable.

Josephine

Posted September 28, 2009 - 6:54 AM

Hair loss is from the anesthesia. It generally starts at around 3-4 months out, and starts growing back around 8 months out if you're getting the proper nutrition your body requires. It's a temporary problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics