Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Crazy To Get Banded?? Only 25-30 Lbs To Lose.

I'm going to give you a different viewpoint.

We all know it is hard to lose weight, as you get older it gets harder, especially when you are female, our hormones are not our friend. The way I look at it is that once you reach a certain point then it is unlikely that you will be able to lose and maintain that loss. Every person on this site would have had a BMI of 27 at 1 point. Were they able to do something about their weight then or did they keep going until their BMI hit the 30s, 40s or more?

If you do go ahead with the band remember it is a tool not a magic wand. It is not a quick fix. You will have to learn to eat slower as if you don't you will get stuck and that is painful. You probably won't get the full feeling that you are looking for - instead full tends to be a really uncomfortable feeling in your throat or chest. It is possible that there are foods that you may not be able to eat, at least initially and ridiculous as it may seem the healthier foods are the ones that give the most trouble.

If you have fully researched this and understand what the band does and does not do then I see no problem with going ahead. If you are looking for a quick fix then it is time to slow down and do more research.

If you wish to ask more questions but are worried because of the response you have received here then send me a pm and I will do my best to answer your questions.

You're going to have to change your eating behavior whether you have bariatric surgery or not. Especially the part about wolfing down your food. That will cause big problems (and possible complications) when you're banded.

You asked if you're crazy to have surgery and then answered defensively when other members gave you an honest answer. I don't want to intentionally hurt anyone's feelings, but I have to tell you that getting hurt feelings is pretty common in online groups like LBT. You just joined today, but I've been doing this for years, so take my word for it. And because I've been trashed far, far worse than you've been on this first post of yours, I'm not afraid to tell you that unless you have a medical condition that would be helped by weight loss or bariatric surgery (like diabetes), I think that bariatric surgery is a high price to pay for your vanity, even if it only cost you $1.00. That's because success after bariatric surgery has a very high cost in terms of education, lifestyle changes, aftercare, plus the time and expense of getting fills & unfills.

Just my opinion, mind you.

I am with the group as well! You think this is a fix, but it's not! I payed cash for mine also....I I was 197 and I am now 169. The only reason for me to have the surgery was because I've gained weight and all on my back. I injured my back several years ago and I started gaining weight and not losing. I gained so much weight that it was hurting my back more and I knew it would help some to get the weight off. The band helped me psychologically but I am still doing all the hard work that I could have done if I would have just followed the same rules as if I didn't have the band! I guess it took the band to give me motivation..... I don't regret getting it done and if that is what it takes for you also then do it :)

I have learned with the band a new way of life and I don't know why it took the band to show me!

It took the band to get me off carbonated drinks, bread( I love bread) and exercise more!!! Don't know why I couldn't do it before??? Oh, I also am still learning to eat slower ..... Still working on that!

I think your nuts. I am 5'1. 202 lbs at aBMI of 38. I thought I was nuts for contemplating the surgery. I don't feel as heavy as I look..I have a father who is 65 and weighs closer to 400lbs. He has heart disease, diabetics, psoriasis, neuropathy and sleep apnea. He is afraid do do anything bc he lost 2 friend to complications with gastric bypass. I don't want to be where he is nor do I want to have complications to surgery.

I say go for it! You know yourself and what you want better than anyone. Just like everything else in life, don't let anyone tell you you can't do something. If you can afford it and your doctor has agreed, Do it! As you get older this battle gets harder. This will slow you down when eating.

Good Luck to you.

I think that it is worth the risk and the pain of surgery, the pain of feeling stuck etc if you have health problems because of your weight. You said, "why is it ok for you but not for me?". Because most of us were at risk medically and having chronic health issues because of obesity. The chance of dying bc we were fat is greater than the risk of surgery and slips and other lap band related risks.

Just be aware that the surgery will take 2-3 weeks out of your life, put 5 scars on your tummy, and you will still have to diet and exercise.

I've been banded for 8 weeks. In hindsight I would never do this for 25 - 30 lbs.

Pennie

8/10

I think that it is worth the risk and the pain of surgery, the pain of feeling stuck etc if you have health problems because of your weight. You said, "why is it ok for you but not for me?". Because most of us were at risk medically and having chronic health issues because of obesity. The chance of dying bc we were fat is greater than the risk of surgery and slips and other lap band related risks.

Just be aware that the surgery will take 2-3 weeks out of your life, put 5 scars on your tummy, and you will still have to diet and exercise.

I've been banded for 8 weeks. In hindsight I would never do this for 25 - 30 lbs.

Pennie

8/10

I would also go against the grain and say that you know yourself best. I don't quite agree with wanting to go through surgery for vanity, but it's not my place to tell you it's wrong. If you are willing to live with all the lapband changes and follow the rules, then go for it.

I remember a long time ago a person wanted to get the band for about the same amount of excess weight. Another low BMI bander (Jachut) got flamed for reminding the prospective bandster that expected excess weight loss is between 40-60%, meaning if you have 25 to lose, you could very well lose 10-15 and that may be it.

Go for it if you are comfortable with those stats and are willing to take the risks and have seriously thought through what a huge lifestyle change this is.

I absolutely think u should do it..I wish I had gotten my band when I was only wanting to lose 25lbs...now 5 years later I got banded and it's 75lbs I'm trying to drop!!...do it for urself if it makes u happy..yes surgery sucks and is painful it's surgery not a day at the spa..best of luck to you!!

One thing bothers me about this original post. I thought the guidelines in Ontario for lap band surgery were bmi of 35 or 30 if there are special circumstances. I also read it is different in each province. Pretty sure I read this on a government site when I was researching wls. I also think I was told that last year by my surgeon when I went for my consultation.

I think if I only had a 60 lbs or less to lose I would go with the gastric balloon.

In the USA, the Lapband is allowed for anyone with BMI of 30+. Why would you go with the gastric balloon- it is not permanent, so if portioning is your issue or eating too much, then the weight loss would only be temporary until the balloon was removed again.

If I would have had the Lapband when I only had 40, 50, or 60 pounds to lose, I would have been a lot better off than having AT LEAST 110 to lose.

One thing bothers me about this original post. I thought the guidelines in Ontario for lap band surgery were bmi of 35 or 30 if there are special circumstances. I also read it is different in each province. Pretty sure I read this on a government site when I was researching wls. I also think I was told that last year by my surgeon when I went for my consultation.

I think if I only had a 60 lbs or less to lose I would go with the gastric balloon.

My surgeon said the band is not all about the weight loss. It's about never putting the weight back so if you ready to make the changes for life then you should go ahead I wish I had had my surgery before I had to lose 200 pounds. Good luck with your journey

In Ontario, Canada it is self pay, the government does not fund banding as it is considered cosmetic and reversible (I think it is all of Canada). So I would guess that it is up to the different surgeons as to who they are going to take and what their office guidelines are. I don't every recall seeing any rules for banding- all self pay.

I know that the lap band is funded in Alberta but there is a long waiting list.

I googled the bmi requirements for lap band in Ontario and those are the numbers that were stated.

Wildrose1966 were you banded in Ontario at SWLC? That is where I am being banded next week.

I know that the lap band is funded in Alberta but there is a long waiting list.

I googled the bmi requirements for lap band in Ontario and those are the numbers that were stated.

Wildrose1966 were you banded in Ontario at SWLC? That is where I am being banded next week.

I was banded at ThinLife in Sudbury, top notch clinic, I had a great recovery, love the staff, any email or question is addressed within 4hrs.........No complaints.

Good luck with your surgery.