Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'M READY TO SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a set back today and well I'm pretty upset to say the least. My husband and I started our journey toward getting banded about a year ago, we have been threw the entire process together and it has made for a wonderful built in support system. Today we went to meet our surgeon for the first time, as we have been dealing with "his people" for an entire year. I've already lost 25(starting weight: 475 current weight:450) since we began our journey and my husband has lost 35 lbs. We went in the surgeons office together, he reviewed my file first and said I was a "wonderful canadate for the surgery" and he believed I "would do very well with the band" only to follow it with "I am not comfortable doing your surgery at this time, as your BMI is just too high" (BMI currently 60 Starting BMI was 65). As I sat there in tears he reviewed my husbands file and gave it the stamp of approval. After convincing my husband to go ahead with his surgery, despite me not having mine anytime soon, they set his surgery date for next week.

I am so excited and happy for my husband, but at the same time I am simply devastated that my surgery is postponed indefinitely. I have always had problems losing weight, which is EXACTLY why I was pursuing the band in the first place. It has taken me almost a year to lose the 25 pounds I've lost so far and now I'm expected to lose 25 more before my surgeon "feels comfortable" doing my surgery? Will that take ANOTHER year? If just plain "dieting " worked well for me I wouldn't have sought you out--- THATS what I wanted to say to him....

Sorry to hear this! If you can dedicate yourself to a liquid diet for 2 weeks or liquids and one meal a day, I am sure you will lose most of that 25 pounds in those 2 weeks. I lost 13 pounds in 4 days of liquids only. Good luck!

Thank you both for the well wishes and advice. I've been doing the 2 shakes and 1 small meal a day for quite a while, then 3 weeks ago i started the Clear Liquids. I plan on sticking with the clear liquids and living on the treadmill till I shed the next 25, but if you have any better ideas I would sure be glad to listen. :)

Thank you both for the well wishes and advice. I've been doing the 2 shakes and 1 small meal a day for quite a while, then 3 weeks ago i started the clear liquids. I plan on sticking with the clear liquids and living on the treadmill till I shed the next 25, but if you have any better ideas I would sure be glad to listen. :)

Hang in there girl you are working very hard for this to happen. It will HAPPEN!!

Thank you for the kind words Dropsizes. I'm hanging in there. I've came to far to turn back now, I WILL have my band :)

I am so sorry :( There ARE people out there who have lost 200+ pounds with the band. I wish the surgeon would give you the benefit of the doubt.

Hang in there! I know how it feels to have a setback. 2 years ago my insurance wouldn't approve the surgery. Keep working hard and it will happen.

Thank you ladies! I'm trying very hard to stay focused and stay on track. Where there is a will there is a way. The surgeon will see me again in a month to see if he thinks I am "fit for surgery" so till then I will continue with the liquids only and kick it up a notch on the excercise and pray for the best.

I know that its hard hearing those words. However, the one thing that you need to keep is that your doctor was honest with you. My doctor doesn't like doing the band on anyone that has a BMI over 50. He would rather you do the gastric bypass. Don't allow things to discourage you.. Its just another hurdle in which you need to overcome to kick start a new and healthy life. If you really want something you can do it.. If you really want it then you can have it ya know..

Thanks for the support ladies. I am in much better spirits today! :D

Maybe when your husband gets the surgery, follow his diet plan along with him as if you had the surgery too. Please don't restrict yourself for too long. Long term your body may think you're starving and then hold on to every pound you have. If you stall, try adding more Protein to boost the lean calories. Hang in there. I do appreciate your doctor's honesty. It's all about your safety and him being comfortable during the surgery. I know it's a rough blow and sucks, but I'm sure you can dust yourself off and keep pushing forward!!

Bama

Don't be discouraged YOU CAN DO THIS. I know today your husband went in for his surgery so he'll need your support right now and perhaps that will take your mind off of your frustration if only for a little bit. Also you might, in the back of your mind, be a teeny bit envious but I think that is a perfectly normal emotion given you want this so very badly. Let that work for you! Get fired up and before you know it it will be your turn.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that your doc is being cautious because he is concerned about how you will do during the surgery itself with the Anesthesia and all. The band will do you no good if you can't get thru the surgery. A larger person just has more risks involved during surgery, period. Any type of surgery so don't be too hard on him ok?

Take care and we are all here for you!

I wish I could give you a big HUG....I feel terrible the way that surgeon handles the consultation. Time to go about this on your own. Find a different surgeon maybe? You're OWN surgeon? This way you won't have to be forever compared and feel like you have to walk the harder road. They do say that men lose weight easier so trust me, it's not anything YOU did wrong or that he can lose weight better because he's better at it. It's just the man's metabolism.:)

Write back and let me know how things are going. Please. I just had my lap band surgery and I am by myself....I do have two teenage sons (awesome kids) but my husband died in March. I could use a friend, too...

Jenine

I had a set back today and well I'm pretty upset to say the least. My husband and I started our journey toward getting banded about a year ago, we have been threw the entire process together and it has made for a wonderful built in support system. Today we went to meet our surgeon for the first time, as we have been dealing with "his people" for an entire year. I've already lost 25(starting weight: 475 current weight:450) since we began our journey and my husband has lost 35 lbs. We went in the surgeons office together, he reviewed my file first and said I was a "wonderful canadate for the surgery" and he believed I "would do very well with the band" only to follow it with "I am not comfortable doing your surgery at this time, as your BMI is just too high" (BMI currently 60 Starting BMI was 65). As I sat there in tears he reviewed my husbands file and gave it the stamp of approval. After convincing my husband to go ahead with his surgery, despite me not having mine anytime soon, they set his surgery date for next week.

I am so excited and happy for my husband, but at the same time I am simply devastated that my surgery is postponed indefinitely. I have always had problems losing weight, which is EXACTLY why I was pursuing the band in the first place. It has taken me almost a year to lose the 25 pounds I've lost so far and now I'm expected to lose 25 more before my surgeon "feels comfortable" doing my surgery? Will that take ANOTHER year? If just plain "dieting " worked well for me I wouldn't have sought you out--- THATS what I wanted to say to him....

I wish I could give you a big HUG....I feel terrible the way that surgeon handled the consultation. Time to go about this on your own. Find a different surgeon maybe? You're OWN surgeon? This way you won't have to be forever compared and feel like you have to walk the harder road. They do say that men lose weight easier so trust me, it's not anything YOU did wrong or that he can lose weight because he's better at it. It's just the man's metabolism.:)

Write back and let me know how things are going. Please. I just had my lap band surgery and I am by myself....I do have two teenage sons (awesome kids) but my husband died in March. I could use a friend, too...

Jenine