Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 3/30/11 So nervous!

I'm getting LapBand on March 30th and I'm totally nervous. Are there any complications any of you have experienced that I should know about? I'm worried how I will feel after surgery, any advice?

Hi! I'm Jennifer and I was just banded a week ago today. I was nervous, too and the medical staff was amazing. I woke up in pain and they immediately pumped pain killers into my IV and kept me until I was pain free but still alert and able to go home. I stayed in bed the first day then walked around in costco the next day. I had to take the prescription pain killer every four hours for the first two days. I was banded on Friday and went back to work on Monday. Took one pain pill at work then another when I got home and have been walking for my 30 min lunch break. I feel noticeably better and better each day. Right now I have a small centralized area of pain on my left side where my stomach was banded. I can almost sleep on that side but not quite. I am ready to exercise and feel quite good. My follow up appt is next Friday and I will weigh myself for the first time then. It has been difficult drinking 3 Protein Shakes a day because I don't feel that hungry and don't enjoy them. I have been drinking only 2 shakes and peppermint tea, chicken broth, lemon Water. I hope this helps and wish you the very best of luck!!!!!

I have my surgery in July 5th... Am soo nervous so I can image what u feel... Good luck and best wishes... Cant wait to hear from u and ur success.

Liza

I was just banded on the 14th. The biggest thing for me was the shoulder pain, a common occurence after laparoscopy. It comes from the CO2 that the surgeon uses to insufflate the abdomen being trapped in the body. Walk as much as you can after surgery and do whatever deep breathing exercises they tell you to do and it will go away after a few days. Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds if it will help you get up and move around. I can finally sleep on my left and right side with no pain at all. I was very bruised on my lower abdomen from the Lovenox they gave me in the hospital which made it hard to get around at first, but that cleared up in a few days. This was all normal post op stuff, nothing horrible.

I had surgery on Wed March 23rd. The only issue I had was with my blood pressure ( sky high!) which was weird because I don't have hypertension. I did have the shoulder pain and it was worse than I expected BUT I took Gas X strips and by the morning it was gone! I also walked quite a bit and I think the combo of the two did the trick.

I took the Lortab every 4-5 hours post op day 0 and 1. Today I have only had it once.

I was scared the day of surgery and looking back it wasn't that bad at all! Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

PS Take a pillow with you for the car ride home. It helps to hold it against your tummy .

No, I noticed no difference in swallowing at all.Some folks have a slightly sore or scratchy throat from being intubated but I didn't. No problem at all.

I'm getting LapBand on March 30th and I'm totally nervous. Are there any complications any of you have experienced that I should know about? I'm worried how I will feel after surgery, any advice?

Hi there. I totally know how you feel! I just got the lap band surgery this morning and am doing better already. I was so apprehensive but the staff was so great. I checked in at 5:45 and left by 11 am. It seemed so fast from the time they were getting me ready to go into surgery and then when I awoke from it. I got up and got dressed very carefully. The car ride home was NOT fun. I wish I'd read about taking a pillow. I was the worst back seat driver! Once home, I used my spirometry bottle and went to sleep. I've taken the pain and anti-nausea meds as directed and have been feeling okay. I do have to take it really slow when getting up and sitting down, etc. The laparoscopic wounds are not hurting me too much. The one that seems to be hurting the most is where they put the port but it's manageable. My 2009 surgery to remove an ovary and fallopian tube caused a lot more pain and recovery time so this one doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

I was so nervous but tried to focus on being positive and remembering why I was doing it. I knew I was in for some discomfort and just took it one step at a time. I hope the best for you too! Good luck!

Hi, I am a little nervous too my surgery is scheduled for April 8th. I will try to follow your posts to see how you are doing. Good Luck to you.:D

I have my surgery in July 5th... Am soo nervous so I can image what u feel... Good luck and best wishes... Cant wait to hear from u and ur success.

Liza

O me firist Grandson's Birthday ! Twas a Lucky Day.

As you can see you have the luck of the Irish on your side,

so,,, that's already a foot in the right direction.

Trust me you will do fine.

I totally agree with the other lady who had prior surgery, and it was worse. I had DENTAL surgery that was far worst.

Believe me,,, this is only Banding, and the surgery is not that painful.

Your women ! That's why you birth children right? So believe me when I say "It's not that bad..."

Nothing against the guys here ! But the women want to know.

O me firist Grandson's Birthday ! Twas a Lucky Day.

As you can see you have the luck of the Irish on your side,

so,,, that's already a foot in the right direction.

Trust me you will do fine.

Thanks shirley I'll take all the luck I can :)

Good luck as you begin your journey! It's an amazing and wonderful experience. You will probably have that "What the heck have I done to myself??" thought a few days after surgery, but don't worry, you'll soon forget that! I've been banded about 9 months and I have to say it was the best decision I've ever made.

Thanks shirley I'll take all the luck I can :)

You'll do Great ! It's a easy surgery, for the surgeon, and not hard on the patient at all.

I have had no complications. I was banded on 3/18/11. Just sip the Water and walk (as much as you are able) afterward. I had pain. don't be afraid to take the pain med prescribed. Stay on top of that. The first three days I walked around but was very tired. After that, I began feeling better and better. Some of the folks on here have an easier time than I did. I didn't have bad gas pain...I have pain at my port site. It is still sore but I am sure it will pass. Good Luck! These feelings you are having are all normal!!

*HUGS*

Rachael