Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Hiatal hernia repair during lap band surgery

Views
Started by isit5yet, Feb 18, 2011 2:23 PM
21 replies to this topic
21 replies to this topic

isit5yet

Expert Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Nicole Fearing
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 265
  • Weight Lost: 51
  • Current Weight: 214
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 37.9
Posted February 18, 2011 - 2:23 PM

Hi all,

I was banded yesterday, and during the surgery my physician also repaired a hiatal hernia. Has anyone else had this done too? I'm experiencing more pain my diaphragm, which I think has more to do with the hernia repair than the actual banding. It sucks. I can't sneeze or cough without screaming out in pain, which is tough since I have horrible allergies and sneeze a lot. Also, for some reason, my ab muscles are twitching. It's so weird.

What kind of pain did you all have right after surgery and how long did it last? For me it's mostly the skin incisions being held by dermabond and my diaphragm.

amberakamom

Bariatric Guru

• Surgeon: Tom Umbach
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Current Weight: 204
  • Goal Weight: -100
  • BMI: 31.9
  • My Blogs
Posted February 18, 2011 - 2:25 PM

My surgeon said he repaired a large hernia. My pain was only bad for about 3 days.

changing

starting over

Posted February 18, 2011 - 2:37 PM

I had my hernia repaired also.I am just sore from where the port and the incisions are.It does hurt for me to cough.I was banded on Tuesday.The pain is much better on today.

Brandi-My Story

Posted February 18, 2011 - 3:07 PM

I was banded Wednesday 02/16/2011 and I too had a hernia and I've been in extreme pain down in my stomach area, I haven't been able to cough or hiccup without being in extreme pain and my throat is severly sore I'm guessing from the tube and I have phlegm that I keep trying to get up and it just hurts worse, I havent been able to get nothing down since wednesday but a half a bottle of water and a few sips of broth, I finally was able to get some chicken noodle soup down a few bites that is and it was like heaven, I really hope all this is worth it cause this is alot more than I expected and was told to expect I know everyones body is different but I guess I was hoping for alot less pain.

TKW

Bariatric Master

• Surgery Date: Jun 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Starting Weight: 432 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 159 lbs
  • Current Weight: 273 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 199 lbs
  • BMI: 42.8
Posted February 18, 2011 - 3:18 PM

Yeah, they repaired one on me too. My surgeon said 8 out of his 10 have a hiatal hernia! I was lucky, no pain to my knowledge. The "gas" pain was all I could concentrate on!

Silvermystique

Novice

Posted February 18, 2011 - 3:59 PM

Yup, I had one I didn't even know about, and my surgeon fixed it. Do you find that it hurts to hiccup?

Dave_NW

Bariatric Evangelist

Posted February 18, 2011 - 4:22 PM

I had a hiatal hernia and a ventral hernia repaired during my band surgery in December. I was sore like crazy for several weeks. If I felt the urge to cough, I found it was easier to stand up, and try to get "under" the cough. Once I got the excess lung fluids out (leftover from surgery), I had more control over coughing. Within a short time the hard pain stopped, and it was only a matter of the stitches healing up. I was back to normal within a relative few weeks.

One very, VERY positive beneft: I have had ZERO acid reflux, heartburn, indigestion, GERD, or whatever you want to call it, since surgery. No matter what I eat, those days are gone. It's AWESOME!

Hang in there. Sip liquids till you feel you're going to float, don't eat anything you shouldn't, and walk a lot. It's the best three things you can do for yourself in the first few days after surgery.

Dave

isit5yet

Expert Member

• Surgeon: Nicole Fearing
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2011
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 265
  • Weight Lost: 51
  • Current Weight: 214
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 37.9
Posted February 18, 2011 - 5:25 PM

Brandi.. I'm in the same boat. I'd give anything to cough right now :)

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm just keeping on the pain meds every four hours and sipping on liquids. I just feel like my breath is taken away with the hernia fix.

I was banded Wednesday 02/16/2011 and I too had a hernia and I've been in extreme pain down in my stomach area, I haven't been able to cough or hiccup without being in extreme pain and my throat is severly sore I'm guessing from the tube and I have phlegm that I keep trying to get up and it just hurts worse, I havent been able to get nothing down since wednesday but a half a bottle of water and a few sips of broth, I finally was able to get some chicken noodle soup down a few bites that is and it was like heaven, I really hope all this is worth it cause this is alot more than I expected and was told to expect I know everyones body is different but I guess I was hoping for alot less pain.

Jess55

Bariatric Master

• Surgeon: Edward Cussatti
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 247
  • Weight Lost: 69
  • Current Weight: 178
  • Goal Weight: 135
  • BMI: 32.6
Posted February 18, 2011 - 5:57 PM

I had a hiatal hernia repair too. I only was in pain the first two days after that, just a bit of discomfort nothing bad at all.

MrsHumphreys

Advanced Member

Posted February 18, 2011 - 6:39 PM

I, too, had the hiatal hernia repair during my surgery. I was suprised to find this later that day after I was back at home! I experienced a lot more pain than I had expected and prepared for, and I think that was mostly because of the extra repair they did on the hernia. The worst was over in about 5 days for me. Hope you're feeling better! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Topics with No Reply