Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

How long does it "usually" take people to get approved?

Views
Started by kourtany93, Dec 27, 2010 2:57 PM
14 replies to this topic
Share this topic with all your friends:

14 replies to this topic

kourtany93

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Jorge Rodriguez
  • Starting Weight: 270 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 0 lbs
  • Current Weight: 270 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 130 lbs
  • BMI: 47.8
  • My Blogs
Posted December 27, 2010 - 2:57 PM

So I've been reading other peoples topics and their blogs and I've come to a conclusion; most people don't really know how insurance places work, well some do. But anyways, does anyone really know how long it takes for the APPROVAL of this life changing event takes place?

I know it's different for each insurance place and the person but just as a prediction. I'm extremely curious. I have yet to even start the process but I'm the type of person who likes to have everything, and I mean everything, planned out with tiny loopholes.

So if anyone can make an educated guess or when they went through the process, how long did it take for you to be approved?

TanyaOwens

Intermediate Member

Posted December 27, 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hi......I'm sorry I dont have an answer for you but I just wanted you to know that I too am trying to start the process. I am excited and when I get excited about something I cant wait for it to happen, so I know I will be getting frusterated waiting on others to get back to me..........for instance, today I called my doctor to make an appointment and they didnt call me back. I was however in the chat room today and I mentioned that i hadnt started the process and someone said it will go fast.........so we shall see. Take care

Lil Ol Me

Novice

• My Blogs
Posted December 28, 2010 - 1:38 AM

Hello,
It took me about two or three weeks after I had a psych. eval. Good Luck!

melzie_99

• Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Starting Weight: 278 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 102 lbs
  • Current Weight: 176 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 165 lbs
  • BMI: 28.4
Posted December 28, 2010 - 1:42 AM

It's really dependent on the insurance company; I had approval within 48 hours of the final paperwork being submitted. For some people it takes weeks. Not really a concrete answer for that one; sorry.

StacyS

Posted December 28, 2010 - 1:07 PM

I too, am a newbie and have not yet started the process. I called a few doctors which are covered by my insurance and I have to attend a manditory seminar before either Dr will set up a consultation. So, I go on 5 Jan for the seminar. The receptionist told me that I could be seen a early as the next day since they are pretty slow right now. I'm exactly like Bubbles where I'm so excited I can't wait and get frustrated if I dont get things rolling fast enough. I'm very curious to see how long from start to surgury it will take, especially since I'm ready for surgery NOW and don't want to wait til March or April for my date, but sometimes we have no other options. What is the process??? I hear we have to go through a psyche eval and nutritionist appts?? How long do those take?

Jennifer Hathaway

• Surgeon: Charles Svendsen
  • Surgery Date: May 2010
  • Starting Weight: 262 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 82 lbs
  • Current Weight: 180 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 155 lbs
  • BMI: 28.2
Posted December 28, 2010 - 1:30 PM

It took me a month and a half from seminar to surgery. I had nutritionist, psych, testing, doctor, etc visits all in that time. It only took a few days for insurance approval.

TKW

• Surgery Date: Jun 2010
  • Starting Weight: 432 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 159 lbs
  • Current Weight: 273 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 199 lbs
  • BMI: 42.8
Posted December 28, 2010 - 2:27 PM

I "had" high colesterol. Submitted info to the insurance Co. was approved within 2 weeks. (MEDICA)

Mewizza

Posted December 28, 2010 - 11:31 PM

My insurance wanted nutritionist & psych exams then wanted the last 5 years of my weight... I started the process in may and really drug my feet and did all my test in Dec.. All my paperwork was turn in on the 22nd & I'm still waiting.. the only issue I have is my insurance changed on the 1st so most likely I will have to do all this over again.

HungryMel

Posted January 4, 2011 - 8:39 PM

After you submit all of your paperwork...it takes from 24 hours up to 8 weeks for approval. there is definitely no answer. But let me tell you i am at the end of this road...about to complete my last pcp visit next week...and let me just say the past 6 months FLEW by. the key is to make the apts and dont stop. start the apts right away - do 2-3 apts a month until you complete. IT FLYS BY!!!!! and make sure you are always calling your surg. to make sure they received the paperwork every time a dr. faxes to them. keep on top of your dr.s and insurance company. call your ins company and ask all the questions you need to upfront so there is no surprises in the end.

amberakamom

• Surgeon: Tom Umbach
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2011
  • Current Weight: 204 lbs
  • Goal Weight: -100 lbs
  • BMI: 31.9
  • My Blogs
Posted January 4, 2011 - 9:01 PM

For me the whole process took 3 months. My surgery date is jan. 26th. I have a timeline on my blog if u want to check it out!
As far as approval for the actual surgery, it was 2 or 3 days.

Good luck!

So I've been reading other peoples topics and their blogs and I've come to a conclusion; most people don't really know how insurance places work, well some do. But anyways, does anyone really know how long it takes for the APPROVAL of this life changing event takes place?

I know it's different for each insurance place and the person but just as a prediction. I'm extremely curious. I have yet to even start the process but I'm the type of person who likes to have everything, and I mean everything, planned out with tiny loopholes.

So if anyone can make an educated guess or when they went through the process, how long did it take for you to be approved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics