Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any South Dakotans (IA & NE too)? Which Dr/Facility did you use? So many close by!

Okay SD Bandsters, need some input! I live in SouthEast SD, and have 3 different facilities all within 90 mins of me. One in Mitchell, two in Sioux Falls, and one in Dakota Dunes/Sioux City!

I have also considered Omaha, NE...since its fairly easy to get to..only 150 miles. I am a "personal attention" kind of patient, I like the "warm fuzzies", if that makes any sense?!

Would love to hear your stories and experiences!!!

Welcome Gusso5. I am on the other side of the state and had mine done in Rapid City. If it was me, I think I would contact each of the doctors and see if they have a support group meeting scheduled that you could sit in on. You should be able to get a feel of how their patients were treated. Maybe that would help. Dr. Sufficool did mine and he and his team are awesome! Hope you find someone just as awesome to do yours! Good Luck!

Welcome Gusso5. I am on the otherside as well. I had mine done just in september by Dr. Sufficool. He and his staff are wonderful. Before I decided on this I went to a seminar that Dr. Sufficool did and talked to a few ppl who had it done with him. I couldnt have been in better hands. Good Luck on your journey.

Welcome Gusso5. I am on the otherside as well. I had mine done just in september by Dr. Sufficool. He and his staff are wonderful. Before I decided on this I went to a seminar that Dr. Sufficool did and talked to a few ppl who had it done with him. I couldnt have been in better hands. Good Luck on your journey.

Hi South Dakota Girl! How are you doing since surgery? Do you go to any of the support group meetings? I have only been to one so far, but, am looking forward to meeting more people from the area that are going through the same thing as I am. Hope you are doing well.

Hi soon2bethin! I am doing great, I am down 30lbs since surgery. And no I have not made it to any support group mtgs yet, I am hoping I can make the one this month. Last month I was set to go but had a mtg for work so had to chose. I understand the wanting to meet ppl that are going thru the samething, I have a coworker that had it done in 2008 so she has been very helpful. It would be nice to meet someone that just had it done just like I did, it will be 7 weeks as of tomorrow since I had surgery. I hope you are doing well and losing lots of weight.

I am seeing Dr Rizk in Dakota Dunes, SD at Midlands Clinic. He is awesome and they have an excellent program. From what i have heard they do make you do a lot more then other programs but i feel very comfortable with them and their knowledge. I just got approved for surgery so doing one more class. then schedule my H&P with the doctor and the surgery center(which is across the street from Drs office) the i can schedule my surgery. Hope you find a good doctor.

Sounds like West River is the place to be!!

alimaureen- please update us on how things go! I would love to follow along!!

I live in Tea, SD so I going with Dr. Glatt (think that is spelled right) He is very nice. I'm in my 2nd month of this 6 month diet thing I have to do for insurance reasons. Oh I wish it was March!!! Where are you at in this new journey of life??? Would love to keep in contact with someone that is close to me. Thanks Jen

I am in the VERY beginning! I was actually a lot farther along in the process about 4 years ago....until my husband's employer took ALL weight loss treatments off the table. It was so heart breaking, I can't even describe it. Due to other health problems, I have been on disability for 2 years and will qualify for Medicare in Feb. Medicare covers Weight Loss Surgery!! I am even heavier than I was due to the meds I was on for so long caused excessive weight gain. I am doing much much better with my health and am off that medication...so its time to do something about this. Losing weight won't necessarliy "cure" whats wrong, but I am tired of being tired and run down all the time due to being soooo heavy! I just want to keep up with the kids activities, to be able to sit in seat at a concert, fit in an airplane seat...just the little things in life!!

Anyways, back to your question, I am just getting started choosing a doctor!

Today my husband is having his lap band done and mine is next Monday both with Dr Thaemert with Sioux Falls Surgical Institute......previous contact with him over 13 yes ago and only WONDERFUL things to say about him and his bariatric team!

Today my husband is having his lap band done and mine is next Monday both with Dr Thaemert with Sioux Falls Surgical Institute......previous contact with him over 13 yes ago and only WONDERFUL things to say about him and his bariatric team!

Hey girl!!! I'm from Garretson!! ???? I am in my second month of three of my supervised diet. It goes fast...plus I quit smoking. It worked against each other for a bit lol. Have my NUT and Psych appt tomorrow then we will see!!! Dr Glatt will do my surgery. He is bomb.com!!! It's nice to see someone so close here!!! Good luck!

Hi SFRANKMAN i just decided im so on board to get this surgery. I've contemplated it for 10 years lol. So im ready now and i am such a newbie. any advice is greatly appreciated. im in sioux falls