Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

What causes stomach swelling?

Views
Started by LoriLeeAnne, Feb 02, 2010 1:54 PM
4 replies to this topic
4 replies to this topic

LoriLeeAnne

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Earl Fox
  • Starting Weight: 324 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 70 lbs
  • Current Weight: 254 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 140 lbs
  • BMI: 39.8
Posted February 2, 2010 - 1:54 PM

Yesterday I had a slight unfill because out of the blue, my band was too tight. (Not that time of the month) The Dr. watched me drink water to make sure it was going through the band, and I felt fine. Shortly after I got home, it was the same old thing. Water was making me slime.

Is it possible that... the day prior some havarti (crazy, I know) got stuck, and I started sliming... then the irritation caused swelling, perhaps? Why would I be swollen and tight even after the unfill?

He gave me a sample of Nexium for Acid Reflux, although I do not have heartburn, and haven't noticed anything yet. I took one yesterday and one today. Maybe I haven't given them enough time, but if I don't 'deflate' soon, I'll have to call again for another unfill!!

JoJo1

• Surgery Date: Sep 2009
  • Starting Weight: 220 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 47 lbs
  • Current Weight: 173 lbs
  • BMI: 27.9
Posted February 2, 2010 - 2:40 PM

You can definitely be swollen after a stuck episode. It may be okay to get another refill in a couple weeks, but you have to be able to get water in. You should always go back to liquids after a stuck episode for at least 12 hours to calm the swelling. Hugs!!!

happy2lose

FailureIsntAnOption

• Surgery Date: Apr 2009
  • Starting Weight: 330 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 69 lbs
  • Current Weight: 261 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 170 lbs
  • BMI: 42.1
Posted February 2, 2010 - 3:10 PM

There are several things that can cause your stomach to swell around the band.

1. PMS
2. Cold or sinus infection
3. Not drinking enough water
4. Stomach spasms or PBing, vomiting or stuck episode

LoriLeeAnne

• Surgeon: Earl Fox
  • Starting Weight: 324 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 70 lbs
  • Current Weight: 254 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 140 lbs
  • BMI: 39.8
Posted February 3, 2010 - 2:21 PM

Thank you ladies, for the advice. I went in for another adjustment and feel much better. It feels so good to be able to drink those darn protein shakes again! I have an appointment in two weeks to see if my body can tolerate a .25 cc fill. We will just wait it out and see. I just have to remember that I have my whole life to continue losing. It's hard sometimes when I want those instant results. But I feel good about having some saline taken out, and I'll just see how things go.

By the way, I had only heard of PMS affecting the band. Good to know about the other triggers of getting a swollen stomach.

xoxo Lori Loves Her Band!:thumbup:

mlw832002

• Surgery Date: Oct 2009
  • Starting Weight: 279 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 66 lbs
  • Current Weight: 213 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 35.4
Posted February 24, 2010 - 10:48 AM

I am so glad that I found your post because I have had almost the exact complication. I am relived that it wasn't anything more serious. I recently had a cold so I am assuming that is why I was having so much pain. Thank you all for the information and putting my mind at ease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Jul 23
    pupichupi

So I noticed that when I am stressed out, my stomach tightens up and I can...

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      Jul 23
    pinky4652

i am almost 4months out and just curious how many calories am i supposed to b...

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      Jul 23
    BladeFox

Things are going in the right direction now I need to work on building muscle...

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Trending Topics