Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Protein shakes that won't give stomach aches?

Views
Started by froggie456834, Dec 29, 2009 10:37 PM
6 replies to this topic
6 replies to this topic

froggie456834

Banded July 2008

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted December 29, 2009 - 10:37 PM

I told my doc about this, and he seemed perplexed and couldn't offer any advice. I get stomach aches from a number of the protein shakes out there, and I don't know why. Sometimes I even get diarrhea. Naturally, it makes me not want to ever drink protein shakes. Has anyone had this problem and found one that's gentle on your stomach? The only one I have found so far is Slim Fast Low Carb, but that's expensive and my doc doesn't like it anyway.

willowcat

• Surgeon: Scott Fisher
  • Surgery Date: Jun 2009
  • Starting Weight: 285 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 89 lbs
  • Current Weight: 196 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 135 lbs
  • BMI: 35.8
Posted December 31, 2009 - 1:29 PM

You may be lactose-intolerant and not realize it. Most protien powders/shakes are made from whey (a byproduct of cheese production--remember Little Miss Muffet eating her curds and whey?).

I absolutely cannot tolerate any protien powder with whey in it--during my pre-op diet I was throwing up the EAS shakes my nutritionist prescribed. I also had bouts of diarrhea, so I went to the health-food store and looked at all the protien powders and checked their ingredients.

I found a vegan (people who won't eat any animal products) rice protien made by NutriBiotic. One Tbsp. has 57 calories, 0.4 grams of fat, 8 mg of sodium, 2.4 grams of carbohydrates (you have to really be careful--a lot of the yummy-looking protien powders have 20+ grams of carbs--that's why they're yummy!), and 12 grams of protien (I know it's not as high as most other protiens but mix it with lactose-free milk or fat-free yogurt and it's not too far off). It comes in chocolate and vanilla.

chocolate_snaps

CAMPAIGN CATSUIT!! MEOW!!

• My Blogs
Posted December 31, 2009 - 3:05 PM

Yup you sound LI. When I have protein, I use Spirutein. However Im going to try Unjury chocolate, they claim to be lactose free or to have trace amts.

Jachut

Banded Down Under

Posted December 31, 2009 - 7:53 PM

Or it might not be anything more than generalised difficulty in digesting them.

"Protein farts" are a well recognised phenomenon. I cant handle protein shakes and bars, they really do bloat me up, give me intestinal pain and make me miserable (and very smelly to be around). Google it, you'll see its not at all uncommon.

It might also be the fact that they're all awfully sweet, and chock full of artificial sweeteners usually. And ingesting a lot of artificial sweetener is notorious for causing diarrhoea.

For myself, I just dont eat/drink them. Its entirely posible to lose weight, be healthy and keep your muscle without ingesting protein shakes.

lizbuff

Posted January 2, 2010 - 5:19 PM

My Dr. and his nutritionist told me they don't want me drinking protein shakes. They want me to eat real food. I'm glad because the protein shakes give me the "you-know-whats". I do eat a Luna protein bar for breakfast because I just can't eat before 10:00 am.

BetsyB

• Surgeon: Brian Lahmann
  • Starting Weight: 249 lbs
  • Weight Lost: -1235 lbs
  • Current Weight: 1484 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 109 lbs
  • BMI: 271.4
Posted January 5, 2010 - 1:19 PM

Some of the shakes have sugar alcohols--which can be really hard on the gut.

I really love Bariatric Eating's Inspire line of protein. The flavors are awesome, and the PURE unflavored protein isolate is quite possibly my favorite (it can be added to anything). You can order at BariatricEating.com - BE, Inc. The number one bariatric website for protein, vitamins, and success..

dlm94

Posted January 9, 2010 - 2:32 PM

I agree - either lactose, sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners. Do you eat any other "sugar free" foods? Do you have bad reactions with them? I do not do well with any of those, so avoid them all (incld Splenda). I am using a protein powder called About Time. You have to order it online and it isn't cheap. It is naturally sweetened and is 100% whey protein isolate. I haven't had any problems with it all. Good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics