Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation ruining my life.

You are not alone. My Constipation is so bad that I actually developed Hemorroids (how embarrassing). I actually had to have surgery they were so bad... My surgeon told me to increase fluids and take Miralax. Well today is hell...I am getting married in 6 months and I have a wedding show to go to today and I need some relief anbefore going. I am 3 weeks out of Hemorroid surgery and can't go...Gosh this sucks...I don't have any suggestions except my lapband surgeon constantly tells me to take Milk of Magnesium... Not sure if this will help you or not but just want you to know YOU are not alone...Need to talk look me up!!!

Charli

A combination of Miralax and Metamucil Clear & Natural works wonders for me, in addition to a diet full of veggies and fruit. I have a history of such severe Constipation.< /p>

My daughter went through really terrible Constipation to the point where she would bleed when she'd have a BM. We went with Miralax and let me tell you - it's a saving grace. That stuff is amazing! It also didn't make her too lose. I'd try that with a lot of Water or in your Protein Shakes. I've been having a little constipation myself - went almost FOUR days this week. YIKES! So, I will probably be adding a little bit to my shakes in the morning, now.

Oh how I love Miralax. It's saved my behind. Literally! :thumbup:

I had terrible Constipation for awhile when I was much tighter. I would bleed when I had a BM. Thank GOd now that I am maintaining, I have loosened my band quite a bit, and the constipation has completely gone away.

I have also been irregular my entire life, the ONLY thing that I found that provided reliable, healthy relief, was exercise. I worked out 5 days a week in the morning, and after a couple weeks, I was regular! It was a miracle. However, I stopped working out, and have found myself back in the state where I can not go without a laxative. I would suggest a regular exercise routine and see if that helps any.

I have a yummy solution to this problem. Xylitol It is an all natural sugar substitute with two side effects. One being if you eat too much of it, it makes you go #2 ! The second side effect, it prevents tooth decay! With only 10 calories per teaspoon, it's a great substitute for sugar. I use it in my tea.

Don't be hard on yourself, read my journey and you will see you are not alone. i have been banded for 2 yrs. it can be a lonely journey with people always judging you but at some point we have to wake up and say what do I want for a quality of life.

I am using miralax once a day and just bought some activia to try and also some apple juice, trial and error lol.

I have been on Miralax for a couple years now due to "irritable bowel syndrome". Its awesome stuff and will not give you the cramping and bloating that other products do. I take it everyday in my Protein Shake. You can mix it in any drink and its totally tasteless! It mixes well with coffee too!

I have been on Miralax now for almost a year....could not imagine life without it...and I have been without for a few2 days it was not pretty!

You can get a tea called "smooth move", it has Senna in it! It is good for a quick fix, but my DR says the body can become reliant on it, so in the long term use Miralax!

Also drink Water and gallons of it and walk daily for 3 miles!:)

Activia does work very well. I dont understand why you would want a tight band so that you cant eat healthy. fruit and vegetables you need in your diet no matter how good your Vitamin levels are. I would suggest getting some of that Fluid out and start eating healthy. I am 10 months post op down 70lbs and I never had a fill yet. I wont gain my weight back. Just think this way when you want to eat something you shouldnt nothing taste as good as being thin.

Ask your doctor about a magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D liquid supplement. vitacost has one for about 14 dollars that lasts a few months. Make sure you don't get too much Vit. D if it is in your supplement. I have been taking this magnesium supplement for years and I am never constipated. Also, ask your doctor about a fish oil supplement. This really helps the skin and heart. We are pretty sure my daughter was just constipated when the paramedics were called. We wanted to make sure it wasn't the appendix. SO, it is quite common. Make sure to ask your doctor of course. There may be a time frame when you can take this supplement. I am taking and have been for years. I hope you dont suffer from this much longer.

My daughter, 3, has terrible Constipation problems. Our dr. put her on Miralax (2tsp once a day) for 3 months. He said that with chronic constipation the muscles are stretched and become less able to push it out. Milk of Magnesia is what I needed after surgery. Drinking coffee seems to help me, too. I hope something helps you.

also, Walgreen's has a generic for Miralax...

My daughter, 3, has terrible Constipation problems. Our dr. put her on Miralax (2tsp once a day) for 3 months. He said that with chronic constipation the muscles are stretched and become less able to push it out. Milk of Magnesia is what I needed after surgery. Drinking coffee seems to help me, too. I hope something helps you.

I realize this thread is quite old but it's one that caught my eye. I have not had any trouble really for years until I got banded! I was in to see my gastroenterologist for the results of my colonoscopy (All Clear! Yay!) and asked him about this. He says he recommends all who have been banded or any other WLS consume Water soluble Fiber. His personal OTC choice is Benefiber. I was able to get Wally World's own brand at a significant savings today.

BTW, Dr.Xie says we should all consume more Fiber - as he says, "So much fiber, a tree grow out of your anus!". Hows that for a picture? :blink:

:lol::lol::lol: