Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The first circle of hell

I descended into the first circle of hell this morning. My father-in-law died the Wednesday right before Thanksgiving. So, we're trying to do things with my mother-in-law to lessen the loneliness as she adjusts to being single for the first time in 62 years.

I went with her to her aerobics class where, as usual, she made everyone else look like slackers. It's sad when an 80 year old woman can put the 20 year old's to shame.

She said she really enjoyed my company and hopes I'll come with her on Thursday.

Kill me now. :thumbup:

First of all, so sorry for your family's loss. It is always difficult, depending on how close, and the circumstances (pain, cancer, whatever), I am praying for strength for your MiL, and spouse, your family.

But, and I apologize here, I was laughing at your post, just the way you described things, your title, and I was envisioning an 80 Y/old, kicking but and taking names. Good for her for getting out, into her routine, instead of sitting at home. Everyone deals with grief differently. And you are a fantastic person for going along, keeping her company.

Just curious, was it the first circle of hell, because it was a hard class, or you just don't like the aerobics, or you are in a different place in your exercise routine, or the company, or....?

First of all, so sorry for your family's loss. It is always difficult, depending on how close, and the circumstances (pain, cancer, whatever), I am praying for strength for your MiL, and spouse, your family.

Thank you for your well wishes. My fil was 86 year old and at the end of a 2-1/2 year battle with leukemia. Fortunately, no pain...just increasing tiredness. It's a very close family, but very down to earth. We were all there around his bed with his wife curled up by his side when he took his last breath. Doesn't get better than that. :thumbup:

Just curious, was it the first circle of hell, because it was a hard class, or you just don't like the aerobics, or you are in a different place in your exercise routine, or the company, or....?

I love the company. I couldn't have picked a better mil if I had advertised for her. She's a darling!

Hell because I detest exercise just for the sake of exercise. As classes go, it's not bad. All ages, all levels of ability. The instructor is in her 50's but can kick the butts of most of the 20 year old I know. She works pretty hard but is always reassuring people to work to the level they can. Some of the older women 'stroll' around the perimeter of the gym and then will sit for 5 minutes and begin again. My mother-in-law tires me out just watching her. She gets there an hour early to pull out all the equipment (weights, steps, mats) and then will just walk (ha! speed walk is more like it) for about 45 minutes until everyone gets there.

She does the stretches, the weights, the walking and the step aerobics. Every so often the instructor will tell the class to do their best and 'nobody is expected to keep up with Mickey' (my mil). Fat chance. She's 4'10 and a dynamo!

After helping her set up, I walked around the gym at a pretty good clip, but she still lapped me at least 4 times. I think I ended up walking for about an hour and a half, only stopping to do the stretching exercises. If I'm going to go twice a week with her though, I'm going to have to do the step stuff or I'll be bored stiff with just walking.

OMG...I cannot believe I'm going to be going to aerobics twice a week. It's an evil plot!:wub:

Me too. That's amazing.

Sorry about your loss.

Lol, I want to be that 80 year old!

After reading a number of your posts, I'd say you're well on your way. My mil would probably enjoy your boot camp exercise regimen...and would probably kick the butts of most of the people there. She's an amazing woman.

The thing I love most about her is that while she's always 'gently' trying to get me to come to aerobics with her, there's no judgment when I decline, but she's absolutely delighted when I accept.

BOL =busting out laughing...You made my day. good luck.

I think its AMAZING that you go with your MIL to class. She is going through the worse time in her life, the loss of her lover, best friend, soul mate and you CAN help her by doing something thats good for you. I applaud you for taking care of your family! Well done!

Sorry for the loss. Enjoy the time with your MIL...not everyone is so lucky to have a "spirited old bird" that can kick butt.

It won't be long before you will be keeping up with her. As soon as your endorphins kick in.

It won't be long before you will be keeping up with her. As soon as your endorphins kick in.

Endorphins...are those like little wings on your feet?

I did suggest to her that I'm going to get a pair of those heelies (you know, the tennies with roller skates in the heels) and next time she lapped me I was gonna grab her bra strap and just hang on.

Endorphins...are those like little wings on your feet?

I did suggest to her that I'm going to get a pair of those heelies (you know, the tennies with roller skates in the heels) and next time she lapped me I was gonna grab her bra strap and just hang on.

I'm sorry for your loss ElfiePoo.

This post made my day, envisioning grabbing and hanging on, hilarious! You are a very comical lady :)

soda coming through the nose at a high velocity.. yep, that's what happened when I read this post!!

awesome job. You should consider it for a field!

Elfie,

Thank you for your post! I want to say that I am sorry for your loss, I lost my MIL the Sunday before Thanksgiving and buried her the day before. My poor FIL, I worry about him so much. Sounds like your MIL will do great with you by her side (or slightly in front of you, dragging you).

Keep up the good work!

Deanna

Elfie,

Thank you for your post! I want to say that I am sorry for your loss, I lost my MIL the Sunday before Thanksgiving and buried her the day before. My poor FIL, I worry about him so much. Sounds like your MIL will do great with you by her side (or slightly in front of you, dragging you).

Keep up the good work!

Deanna

My inlaws were almost 80 when they helped us build our house in 2005. Oh my god they worked circles around us. My Fil built all of the cabinets, installed doors and all of the wood trim. My Mil stained miles of woodwork, painted, and picked up tons of construction waste. I identify so much with this post. Good work and I am also sorry for your loss.

Elfie,

Deanna,

I'm sorry to hear you also lost a parent (in-laws count :)). Even though we know we'll outlive our parents, it's still difficult knowing you can't just pick up the phone or walk across the field to visit them.

Thank you, and thank all of the rest of you, for your well wishes.