Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first fill is tomorrow. What should I expect?

How does it feel? Will it hurt?

Linda in Wa

weight.png

My first fill is next week.. I am not able to sleep on my side and I am not able to sit in a chair and lean over to pick something up without being in pain.. Is this NORMAL ????

Hey Linda I have had 2 fills Dr. has you lay down they clean port are then has you pick your legs up about 6 inches to make your port easily felt then puts needle into port and pushes the right amount of fill. My 2 fills were less pain than a simple blood test stick. Don't sweat it. I think numbing would be worse than just doing it. Hope your goes as easy as mine. Steve

Thanks for the info.. They will not have a hard time finding my port .. It is very visible.. I wonder if that is normal??

Plus I am soo sad, I gain 1.5 pounds over the holiday .. That is what happens when you don't stay home ..

THANKS for the info.

I will report in how it went tomorrow.

Linda in WA

weight.png

had my first fill last mon., I definatly have restriction now. I made the mistake of trying to eat the same after the fill as I did before it. That was a big mistake! I should have done liquids for 24hrs. The fill itself was painless and done before I knew what was happening, but I ate about 1/2 of a brautwurst and thought I would die! took it much easier for next couple of days and tonight I was able to eat steak and shrimp with no problems even ate a little brocolli with no issues. Good luck and give yourself a day or so on the liquids, youll be much happier than I was.

I get my first fill tomorrow. I had to come up with the $$ and am finally able to do so.

Please say how it went! I get my first fill tomorrow.

hey everyone! I've had 2 fills so far and before my first fill i was TERRIFIED!!! I absolutely HATE NEEDLES...and it's a big one! Be ready....BUT, it's really no big deal! You go in, lay flat on a table..they clean the area off and have you CRUNCH UP (as in literally do a crunch) and then they will give you a shot or two of lidocane which you don't even feel..at all...then they push down on your stomach to find the port, aim the needle and there you go...lol Once they put the needle in the port, then they will put in some cc's....in total it takes MAYBE 3 minutes from begining to end :rolleyes: EASY!

I have to say, i've never heard of the pulling up of your legs...i've only heard about (and have done) crunches....

I WOULD say to make sure you get lidocane...i got 2 shots of it this past fill and i didn't feel ANYTHING...my first fill I only had one shot of lidocane and it was definately uncomfortable....little pain....

I have had 3 fills and one slight unfill at this point, and have only had pain one time, and that DR will never touch me again. He was saying that my port had flipped and was having trouble accessing, when in actuality it had not. Not sure what his problem was. My doc did the unfil 10 days later, and had no trouble at all accessing my port. Said everything looks to be in the same place he put it, and all is well. All fills are done under scope with my doc, and I am thinking about going back for my next fill pretty soon. food is creeping up, and I am hungry more often.

Linda,

I just got my first fill today. I was nervous but it didnt hurt anymore than feeling a prick in your finger like at a blood test. Just a little pressure as they are pushing the shot so you get the saline (I got 3cc today on top of the 3.4cc I rcvd during the surgery). Nothing to worry about.

I can't wait to start feeling some restriction!

I am home and the fill went easy peasy! :)

Didnt hurt at all and 1st stick she was in it. 5 CC put in.

I had no restriction going on at all.

I have the large band and I was free flowing. :rolleyes:

liquids until Wed afternoon then pudding consistency for a few days.

Linda in WA

My first fill is next week.. I am not able to sleep on my side and I am not able to sit in a chair and lean over to pick something up without being in pain.. Is this NORMAL ????

I went through the SAME thing! I had to sleep in a chair, sitting upright, with my legs on another chair for nearly two weeks. I was in soo much pain, it was unbelievable! It hurt to lay down and hurt to sleep in any other position. The surgeon told me it was the gas. It seems to collect in your shoulders for some reason. Is your pain in one of your shoulders or in the location of the port? Either way, I think it is normal. Hope it goes away soon!!!

I had my first fill 1.5 months ago and honestly, I felt nothing. They did not numb me and I still felt nothing. I did not watch but the needle hit the plastic around the rubber port a few times and the sound of that was kinda like nails on a chalkboard. lol Honestly, you will be perfectly fine. :rolleyes: I was much more frightened than I needed to be.