Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ribeye steak, Lobster tails, Shrimp

I am scheduled to be banded on December 7th and I wanted to know if I should prepare to say bye-bye to my 3 favorite foods above (:tongue_smilie:)... I know "everyone is different" but in general, are these 3 foods tolerated by the band?

Some will say they have issues with steak. I have issues with steak that is well done. As long as it's rare or medium rare, it works fine for me. meat tenderizer (which is made with papaya enzymes) can make it easier to eat as well.

Lobster and shrimp? no problem at all. Almost everybody eats seafood with no problem.

Your enemy, simply, is DRY Protein. If it's cooked until it's too dry/overdone, there's always the chance it will give you a hard time.

The basic fact is that you should still be able to eat most any food. The only thing I simply don't even try is soft, fresh bread. Remember being a kid and pulling the center out of the slice and "squishing" it into a dough ball? well I guess that's what happens when I chew it -- and that ball gets stuck every time. But I'm not a sandwich person so it's no great loss. I can eat toast if I want it.

THANK YOU so much for that bright light :tongue_smilie:.... As my date draws near, questions just pop up constantly, so I am glad to have a place where I can get answers based on experiences. I LOVE seafood... so the thought of not being able to eat it again was a bit disheartening, but not enough that I would forego getting my life back... :smile:

It's important that you realize that there might be things that you just can't tolerate after getting your band, and it's great that you're asking questions. I always think it's better to be prepared too.

There are very few foods I can't eat. For instance, one is raw celery. I'm not even sure that I can't eat it, but I tried it once after banding, and the texture of the fibers in my mouth made me decide not to try it. The thought of swallowing it kind of made me feel gaggy.

Often times, it's better to try a new food at home, just in case. But, as Cathy described, as long as meat isn't dry, I don't have any problems with it, and I never liked it dry anyway. It's important to try new foods slowly, and if you start to feel tight, and you'll get to recognize that feeling, not to push it. Actually, some people have issues that their tighter during certain times of the day or month, so it's always best to take those first couple of bites with a bit of caution, especially if you're prone to band fickleness.

Pre-banding, not knowing what I was going to be able to tolerate, I decided to go into this WLS as if I was an alcoholic giving up alcohol. If I had to give up steak, for instance, to be healthy, so be it, however, I have been very lucky that most foods don't trouble me. I know you're saying the same thing too.

For me, eating smaller portions, eating at a slower pace, taking slightly smaller bites, and chewing a little longer has allowed me to lead a very normal life with food.< /p>

Edited by kiz

Hello!

Ribeye steak - nope, can't handle it anymore unless it's in some kind of sauce. Some people can tolerate beef well, and if it's tenderized, you might be able to eat it. Try very small portions and chew more than you think you need to, but don't be surprised if you have to give it up for a while.

Lobster tails - I never ate them before, but they are less "chewy" than steak, I'd imagine, so you might be okay there...again, chew more than you think you need to, and start with small portions.

Shrimp - I had no problem with these until my last fill, then my tolerance disappeared. Unless they are tiny baby shrimp, I can't handle them any more. Of course I've had 3 or 4 fills (can't remember) and that definately has something to do with it.

You may find initially that all these foods are okay, but as you progress through the fills, you may have to give them up for a while.

Take it easy, don't "talk" yourself into an upset too early. Sometimes my emotional state affects my band - if I'm upset, it's tight. When I'm loose and happy, so is my band! You may also find that certain times of day you are tighter than others - for me, mornings are tight, and that's when I have my Protein drinks and yogurt. I can usually tolerate solid food for lunch and dinner.

Enjoy your banded journey and best of health to you! :tongue_smilie:

As your fills correct your hunger pangs you wont crave - its the waiting for the fills that is hard.

But I had steak last night - it just gives your jaw a work out.

With any meat I cut it how i normally would, then cut again either 2 or 3 times, They must be small, and then well chewed, or you may get blockage.

Just so you know, a mild blockage is medium discomfort. A BAD one is...."omg this is it! i am gonna die and i cant speak to tell anyone because i am choking and suffocating.... noone will notice if i stay calm.... omg calm isnt working!!!! i am really gonna die!!!!! get this stuff outta me.... fingers down throat... " bring up food 5-6 times before you are able to get a grip.

This is a timely topic for me. We go to Maine every year and a lobster was a treat for me along with shrimp.

This year however, I just could not tolerate the taste of lobster or shrimp. Having to chew it throughly really made it disgusting in texture. I was disappointed to say the least. But I don't really care about food that much anymore so it's fine.

I really loved Applebee's steak tips however and eating it in really small pieces (like the size of 2 peas) worked well for me. Other steak is hard unless you cut it up really small.

The Applebee's steak tips worked because they have a good sauce with it. Lobster did not work even cut up small with butter.

I have given up bread for the most part since my banding in March 2008 and haven't missed it. I realized that being overly attached/attracted to certain foods is what got me wicked fat in the first place.

Now it is just food to me and just fuel- not entertainment anymore. I am so much more balanced now that I can't overly focus on what I am eating. I just eat like normal people now. My health and happiness is more important.

I am a very picky eater now! Who would have thought I'd get to be that?

Just my humble opinion- love and success on your journey!

Sadie

Thanks for the responses! I have been known to "over analyze" things, so I figured my Lap-Band journey would be no different. :biggrin:

I will take everyone's advice and pray that I don't ever know what sjm described as a bad blockage... that's my worst fear! My doctor's office suggested I buy a baby feeding set (plate, spoon and fork) to get used to portion size and the amount I should be able to chew and swallow comfortably, so I will try that as well.

I am scheduled to be banded on December 7th and I wanted to know if I should prepare to say bye-bye to my 3 favorite foods above (:drool:)... I know "everyone is different" but in general, are these 3 foods tolerated by the band?

The steak & Lobster I believe is out. However the shrimp should be fine. Not the hugh shrimp though.:thumbup:

Thanks for the responses! I have been known to "over analyze" things, so I figured my Lap-Band®®® journey would be no different. :thumbup:

I will take everyone's advice and pray that I don't ever know what sjm described as a bad blockage... that's my worst fear! My doctor's office suggested I buy a baby feeding set (plate, spoon and fork) to get used to portion size and the amount I should be able to chew and swallow comfortably, so I will try that as well.

I tend to overanalyze too. The one thing I learned for sure is that everyone is different. I eat all 3 of these frequently with no problems. If you are determined enough and chew enough, you can eat pretty much anything, but some things just aren't worth it.

For me, very soft cheap bread like Wonder bread will stick. Scrambled eggs will stick, but not any other type. Certain types of Pasta don't work for me. Crunchy, fibrous veggies like asparagus is a challenge. But I can eat any type of meat, cold cuts, pizza, crusty bread, cole slaw, french fries, rice and lots of other things that others have issues with.

You won't know until you do it.

I can do steak and seafood just fine, key is not too dry, small bites and chew chew chew. I don't do well with bread of anykind unless toasted, tortillas, heavy doughy italian Pasta, mashed potatoes. It is different for everyone but hopefully this helps.

My Surgery is Dec. 7th too!!!!!:thumbup: I love these items as well. I really hope I can tolerate at least the Lobster.

I have herad horror stories of these measts getting caught-up and the only elief is to vomit. Personally, I would not take a chance. The doctor and the nutritionist suggested to stray away from these food choices. Besides, I believe avoiding white products and meat would result in a healthier colon.:)

You have to work with your band. Like the folks above, soft white bread is a big no no for me. rolls up in a glue ball and sticks solid. Horrible. But if I eat a textured whole grain bread, I do fine. Just small bites. Steak is no problem as long as it's not overcooked. Well done? I'll pass. We went to Maine twice since I've been banded and I did just fine with lobster and all manner of seafood. Again, if shrimp is overcooked, it gets rubbery. If scrambled eggs are just tossed around a pan, I have a little trouble, so I started soft scrambling them. I beat them with milk and then cook them. they are a soft velvety texture instead of sticky. More like a custard. Then I have no problem. If I get stuck eating a dry meat, I always keep fat free gravey, ketchup, and salsa on hand.

hi just a warning, ive had my band done a year and lost nothing. I cant eat any meat or vegetables i have no Fluid in my band. my only option is soft food and unfortunately i get so sick of vomiting that i eat ice cream and chocolate which is the only thing keeping my energy levels up. Make sure if things go wrong your dr will take the band back out. Mine wont.